Which 2014 hype-train did you enjoy watching be killed?

Hespect Housey**

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me, it would have to be Eddie Alvarez's. It was very satisfying to have watched Cerrone outclass him.

After Donald had a series of highlight performances, seeing him be the underdog here and comments making him out to be a scrub coming in abundance (like "Eddie is going to make Donald look like he belongs in Bellator"), it was just a feel-good moment to see Cerrone's consistency come through.

Additionally but to a lesser extent, watching Mendes and Melendez stopped was merry 'n dandy. Edit: Okay I was overreaching in attributing hype-trains to these two. Shh.

You folks?

Edit 2: Since lots of people seem to think it's unfair to call Eddie Alvarez a hype-train derailment, I explained why here:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/101831393-post109.html

Here is my thinking behind attributing the term to Alvarez:

A hype-train would have a large backing of people who attach clear and high expectations, and there would be a consistent inflation of the fighter throughout his perceived future success based on earlier success. A shortfall in merit.

Read this thread if you will:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...d-cerrone-ufc-178-update-bobby-green-2807667/

34 pages and plenty of room to make my point.

The UFC has a deep, deep LW division - it's arguably the toughest division. A fucking shark tank. Can we all agree on that much?

I measure his success in another organization and weigh it against people's expectations of him in this one and see inflation.

Really, go through that thread (and there are plenty other dispersed posts throughout the forum that I'm not going to be bothered finding). I'm comfortable in marking it a hype-train especially when those expectations came off a kneejerk reaction. None of his earlier success warrants a solid expectation of being royalty in the UFC's LW division and that's how he was made out to be (and I'm not being selective in representation).

Last edited:
Not that I enjoyed it, but Barao took a pretty good nose dive.

Alvarez hype was killed back in Bellator for me

Barao for me

Definitely Renan Barao. Always thought he was overrated.

Never thought it would be Dillashaw who would take him out, but I always thought someone with good movement (ala Cruz, and as it turned out TJ) could easily take him.

I enjoyed Mark Hunts train getting derailed (again).

Nose dive?
Dude is the most humble fighter in the league. There might be another reason you don't like him.

Well, I don't know what that would be, as I didn't say I didn't like him.

I don't think Barao was a hype train though. He just got manhandled by the better fighter that night. I see problems with his boxing though. I believe he gets beat by T.J on a rematch.

For me, it would have to be Eddie Alvarez's. It was very satisfying to have watched Cerrone outclass him.

After Donald had a series of highlight performances, seeing him be the underdog here and comments making him out to be a scrub coming in abundance (like "Eddie is going to make Donald look like he belongs in Bellator"), it was just a feel-good moment to see Cerrone's consistency come through.

Additionally but to a lesser extent, watching Mendes and Melendez stopped was merry 'n dandy.

You folks?

Melendez, Mendes, and Alvarez are all top fighters who have proven themselves against the elite time and again, regardless of whether they were in the UFC or not. You don't seem to understand what a hype train is.

Honestly waited for the Cormier & McGregor trains to dis rail..never happened, kind of fond of Cormier though, seems like a decent dude

Melendez = hype train? In that case I nominate Condit.

Why are people mentioning proven fighters? Even former champions, lol.

How was Barao a hype train? Dude was a near decade-long undefeated, multi-time defending UFC champion with all those title defences coming via stoppage.

Back