Which 2014 hype-train did you enjoy watching be killed?

Marina Shafir. Loved watching her get KTFO.

donald-cerrone-vs-edson-barboza.gif

Jamie Varner derailed it. Edson picked up some fuel to continue the train, but Donald Cerrone derailed it this time. Now Edson is picking up some more fuel, but Michael Johnson is gonna bury the hype train once and for all lol

Barao 13485765 wins - 2 losses =Hype train derailed

Only on sherdog...

Mousasi.

Hype train and a half. He was supposed to waltz on over from strikeforce, ko Anderson and Jones to take the Mw and Lhw title simultaneously. Instead?

Goes 1-2 in 2014 with the sole win coming over Mark Munoz.

LOL.

Can't say I really enjoy watching prospects lose, however first thing that came to mind was Jimi Manuwa, who looked like an absolute killer world beater but got destroyed by Gusto.

No shame in that, however. Just goes to show he isn't quite ready for that level.

How was Barao a hype train? Dude was a near decade-long undefeated, multi-time defending UFC champion with all those title defences coming via stoppage.

This lmao how is barao a hype train dude just lost after multiple defenses

I don't get enjoyment out of watching hype trains get derailed unless said fighter did something to deserve it or to a lesser extent of his fan base is being truly obnoxious about it. In 2014, McGregor was the only hyped prospect who really qualified in my view and I am not 100 % sure if that derailment is even gonna happen. I wish like hell Mendes or Edgar was his next fight so we can truly see how he does against an upper echelon fighter whose really freakin good at getting guys to the ground.

The answers in this thread are awful. A world class fighter losing to another world class or equivalent fighter is not a "hype train derailment". My choice would be Niklas Backstrom. One good performance against Niinimaki and suddenly he's a new challenger. Fuck outta here!

This, I don't remember who knocked him out but some people were saying he was the next Conor McGregor but better before that happened. IIRC he was also extremely arrogant before his second fight.

What I really enjoyed though was seeing all of the four horsewomen except Ronda get finished. One of the dumbest gimmicks I've ever seen in MMA.

All-time greats, legends and guaranteed hall of famers do not get their hype trains derailed.

They are solidified for the remainder of time as someone who deserved their hype.

Dennis Bermudez!
Best hype train derailed in 2014!
He was fighting cans, alots of cans, and people were saying he's next big thing or something, never thought he was that good

I almost never enjoy that. Although over-enthusiastic fans can be a little bit much at times, I mostly always get a little dissapointed when a promising fighter's rise is stumped.

The thread is about up and coming guys who performed below expectations.

Not which proven athlete you are a fair-weather fan, meaning you want to bash him after a loss.

Definitely Renan Barao. Always thought he was overrated.

Never thought it would be Dillashaw who would take him out, but I always thought someone with good movement (ala Cruz, and as it turned out TJ) could easily take him.

Most title fight wins in the division kinda rules him out as a hype train imo.

Why are people mentioning proven fighters? Even former champions, lol.

Your gotta admire the kind of "cult of stupid" Zuffa has created, where the newbie MMA watcher is convinced he's a genius and comes here to commune with his fellow "geniuses".

McGregor. So tired of Sherdog's "GOAT" hype, even if it's a joke. "Conor bless" isn't funny, at all.

You do know that Connor won both of his fights this year by KO right?

Back