When talking about GOAT KO power, why isn't this monster mentioned?

kikikhan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
[YT]watch?v=JZiJAUSuBcE[/YT]

Prime Semmy was a monster.

His standup was monstrous, his TDD wasn't bad either. His ground game was very underrated too.

I think that he was very wellrounded. Skillwise.

Mostly because new fans don't know him, and older fans were fairly underwhelmed by his MMA career.

Semmy was a beast though.

As Far as Kickboxing goes absolutely, what was it 7 times K1 Grand Prix Champ? MMA wise ehhh... He fought the GOAT and lost.

Calling Semmy Schilt "very well rounded" makes the term rather meaningless in MMA.

Calling Semmy Schilt "very well rounded" makes the term rather meaningless in MMA.

Why?

He was very wellrounded, but his length made it harder for him to defend TDs vs great grapplers and even harder to get back up.

I wrote skillwise for a reason.

Why?

He was very wellrounded, but his length made it harder for him to defend TDs vs great grapplers and even harder to get back up.

I wrote skillwise for a reason.

Because he wasn't. He was a very good striker who looked half decent on the ground against fighters with no ground games. If that's what makes a fighter "very well rounded", the term holds very little meaning in MMA.

He used his range perfectly, one of the best in kickboxing.
In MMA he was lets say less effective.

Semmy was just a killer in kickboxing, absolutely on-the-edge of your seat, scary. Obviously his it didn't translate as well into MMA, but that doesn't make him any less of an incredible striker. I certainly miss watching the man fight.

Yeah. He wasn't really well rounded, more two dimensional.

Name more wellrounded HWs today.

I can easily see Prime Schilt becoming the UFC HW champion, let alone beating these guys in Pride. Especially had he fought JDS for the title.

If you are thinking about replying with Cain, Cormier and Miocic, I don't see them being able to finish Semmy on the ground. Not without getting busted up themselves.

Here he is submitting olympic silver medalist in judo:

[YT]watch?v=FYIBRpelu8Q[/YT]

A kickboxer shouldn't be able to do this:)

Semmy was just a killer in kickboxing, absolutely on-the-edge of your seat, scary. Obviously his it didn't translate as well into MMA, but that doesn't make him any less of an incredible striker. I certainly miss watching the man fight.

I thought he had a good career in MMA in general actually, as he won openweight Grand Prix in Pancrase. Semmy is mysteriously forgotten at times by people new to MMA because he wasn't a household name but he had a fantastic career nonetheless.

Name more wellrounded HWs today.

I can easily see Prime Schilt becoming the UFC HW champion, let alone beating these guys in Pride. Especially had he fought JDS for the title.

If you are thinking about replying with Cain, Cormier and Miocic, I don't see them being able to finish Semmy on the ground. Not without getting busted up themselves.

Here he is submitting olympic silver medalist in judo:

[YT]watch?v=FYIBRpelu8Q[/YT]

A kickboxer shouldn't be able to do this:)

Not sure if you're being serious, but yes all of the guys you just mentioned have more well-rounded skill-sets(and it isn't necessary to finish him on the ground for that to be true). Barnett, Mir, Werdum, Sergei, AA, Nelson, AO, Gonzaga, Nog, are all (still) more well rounded than Semmy ever was.

I love Semmy too bro, but he was two dimensional. Great striker, with serviceable grappling in/for Pancrase(where he didn't have to worry about taking bombs from the top).

Always fighting at altitude too. Sea level Schilt would've been unstoppable.

He was an MMA fighter first...

He was definitely a finisher. I didnt follow his career too closely back then and not really sure why. I think i was just obsessed with teh jitz back then wasnt as interested by his style. Plus hes kind of bulky and goofy looking. Has that Timmeh look. He was obviously good but you just knew he could never be champ with the apparent leaks in his game. So i guess thats why he never interested me too much.

It's not his fault he was a giant, but he rarely ever fought anyone his size. That's the only knock on him. That's not to say he wasn't an absolute beast in terms of skill. Actually, he was one of the most skilled kickboxers I've ever seen. His front kick and knees were brutal, and he used his range better than anyone else, I reckon. I wouldn't be surprised if Bones (or his coaches) used him as a template on how to fight long.

In kickboxing yes, not in mma

Back