The Missing Puzzle Piece: Who was one attribute away from GREATNESS/GOAT status?

WoozyFailGuy

Mel Gibson's Attorney
@Black
Reaction score
While listening to the news, I had a few old fights pop up, and Jimi Manuwa absolutely blasting Corey Anderson with a single shot got me thinking about this.

The man just could not take a punch to save his life, but had some nasty power, timing, and technique in a rather shallow division at the time. He had a great couple of fight against Jan, going 1-1. ironically his highest caliber loss, but the only one he wasn't finished in. I don't think he would have been champion, but a perennial contender as long as his age would allow for sure.
If a fighter had just one ability/physical attribute slightly better, who would have risen far above where they got too? What did God take away from them? Which Bas Rutten Lethal Street Fighting Instructional Video didn't click?
Which guys would have their brains shut off, either from adrenaline or blunt force trauma a little too soon? Who couldn't climb a flight of stairs without snapping a tendon? Who was good, but would have been great with just one more thing going for them?
This is more for guys like Jimi who are total what-ifs, or guys that were good with a glaring weakness like Chael and not "McGregor with ADCC jitz would submit Khabib" level powerfantasies. I'll edit this as a list with any good ones mentioned, as well as digging through any years old threads for good mentions.

CHIN:
Manuwa
Overeem
Lesnar? (didn't get sparked, but had a mental block or something)
Arlovski
Jardine
Pico

TDD:
Condit
Diaz bros
Hunt
Spencer Fisher

POWER:
Diaz bros
Chael
Frankie Edgar
Shields
Holloway
Bisping

FIGHT IQ:
Garbrandt
Woodley
Werdum

INJURY PRONE:
Cruz
Velasquez
Shogun
Pettis
Ferguson

LITERALLY NO STRIKING GAME:
Rousey
Askren
Maia
Taktarov

CARDIO:
Penn
Carwin
Coleman
Zabit

SUB DEFENSE:
Chael
Randleman

UNDETECTABLE STEROIDS:
Jon Jones

Now have a nice day or Poatan will come for you, Sherbros
poatanjiri3.gif

Last edited:
It's painful that some of those were voluntary training choices. It was always difficult to be a fan of the Diaz Bros with the unaddressed holes in their games, but towards the end of their careers it was pretty crushing to see their complete refusal to try.

I'd add Coleman to cardio and Shields to power.

It's painful that some of those were voluntary training choices. It was always difficult to be a fan of the Diaz Bros with the unaddressed holes in their games, but towards the end of their careers it was pretty crushing to see their complete refusal to try.

I'd add Coleman to cardio and Shields to power.
That thickheadedness cost them Lord knows how much opportunity, I'm also a fan of the Diaz brothers. They have Richard Perez, who is as solid of a boxing coach as they come, but had no actual wrestlers training/coaching there. Added Coleman and Shields!
Palhares = Brain
I was thinking of adding an IQ section under fight IQ, but I don't know who other than Palhares fits in, guys was legit just as dumb as bricks sociopath. Maybe an Honor section?

If Overeem had a rock solid chin he’d be the HW goat.

19 losses, 15 by way of knockout
Agree. I was picking Overeem over Cain even with the chin when he came to the UFC. That and a combination of terrible striking defense habits from his big glove days were a disastrous combination for him and he was still and overall great fighter.

Werdum should be in the fight IQ category. After he submitted the GOAT, dropped some fat, and improved his striking, he could've been champion for a long time. But he fought sloppy against Stipe and Volkov, and it cost him.

Zabit with 5 round cardio would've been one of the greatest FWs of all time. His skillset was ridiculous and very good size for the division

I feel if Pettis took strength training seriously he could've won a lot more. Every time he lost it was usually because some dude bullied him against the cage. I guess he did achieve greatness, but he could've sustained it for much longer.

Poatan - Charisma
Khamzat - valid Visa
I think Poatan's PPV numbers are great, better than any silent killer before him. 295 became the fourth highest grossing PPV in history, and Periera has headlined two of the three highest grossing events in MSG history. Following him from kickboxing, I actually can';t believe how much he's blown up and can't think of a combat athlete more deserving, honestly.
<Fedor23>
I feel if Pettis took strength training seriously he could've won a lot more. Every time he lost it was usually because some dude bullied him against the cage. I guess he did achieve greatness, but he could've sustained it for much longer.
Interesting, and not a take I've heard before. Adding a physicality category to replace my meme reach category consisting of Sherk and Lobov.

Last edited:
a lot of those fighters you named achieved greatness but I get what you mean, a lot of them could of been greater, I would add BJ for having Yes men in that case, in terms of a fighter who was never champ or real champ at least is Condit TDD being shit, if he could stop wrestling at all, he would of been champ or at least give GSP a better fight outside of that awesome head kick

Maia with d1 takedowns.. the same can be said for rousey / a lot of submission fighters

Back