What's your workout frequency?

How do you know when your muscles are 100% recovered?
Are you considering that your nervous system also needs to recover?
Recovered = not sore and can get the same amount of training as the previous session.

Yeah.. I know about the nervous system needs rest but I don't do powerlifting stuff so is not as taxing. I do at least 8 reps before I hit failure and most of the time is about 10/12.

I also sleep at least 8 hours at day and I'm never stressed. Those 2 things are incredibly underrated.

Recovered = not sore and can get the same amount of training as the previous session.

Muscle soreness is not a great indicator
Performance is though
"... same amount of training as the previous session" sounds concerning. You shouldn't be doing the same amount of training every session.

Muscle soreness is not a great indicator
Performance is though
"... same amount of training as the previous session" sounds concerning. You shouldn't be doing the same amount of training every session.
Why not?

Of course I do progressive overload and add some weight/reps over time, or even time under tension and better mind/muscle connection.
But you can't make progress every single training session. If I can't go as hard as the last time I know I haven't recovered enough or something else is off (maybe I'm tired because other things, ate too much or too little, etc).

I start with lower body/legs, torch that until I know it's "done", usual RDL's (my go-to), squats (either high or low bar), and leg press.

I tried bulgarian split squats, so many people around the gym do these, but after the other work I was too incinerated to do anything meaningful.

Onto upper body - dumb bell press:
Starting at 25 kgs working up to 40 kgs, all "pump" sets (not full ROM, just pumping).
Then worked back down to 30 - lots of sets, chest was proper fucked by the time I was done.

Then a few flashy body weigh exercises to impress the chicks at the gym (and shut them up also, if I'm being honest), some muscle ups, front levers and human flags.

The human flags really shut the bitches up.

And that's it.

That's my routine at the moment every third day, and the last 3 sessions it's the ONLY thing my body can do.

I assume on some level it's re-conditioning itself as my entire posterior chain just evaporated during my two years off.

Twice a week strenght training, and two sessions of martial arts plus one Yoga session for mobility and injury prevention. I try to make the strenght sessions as minimalist as possible not to fry my CNS.

Then a few flashy body weigh exercises to impress the chicks at the gym (and shut them up also, if I'm being honest), some muscle ups, front levers and human flags.

The human flags really shut the bitches up.
What were you doing at the gym that caused a need to "shut bitches up"?

What were you doing at the gym that caused a need to "shut bitches up"?

I take exception to bitches attention seeking.

Most dudes don't seem to mind (or rather they just lie down for it).

Me?

I got to show the bitches what time it is.

<bball1>

Lift 5 to 6 days a week.
Run/Cardio 6 days a week.
Currently getting in 40 up to 55 miles a week running.

At 42 overall better shape than late 20s.
I’m doing well (for me) & will continue to do so.
How do you recover from all this? Are you natty?

Walk us through a scenario

8IbXuwz.gif

Patiently waiting for this....

How do you recover from all this? Are you natty?
I’ve trained near daily since my 20s (except when I took a few years off/quit training).
Also I grew up running longer distances as a teenager & in my 20s.

I only got Away from that due to work & living in big cities. Running 20/25 miles a week treadmill/elliptical-ARC trainer.
Been used to 45 minutes-1 hour cardio a day accompanied with lifting.
Both are necessary staples for me.

After moving primary residence outside the city to a trail/beach town I’ve returned to daily outdoor running. I live in a bird sanctuary subdivision & It’s pretty green in this locale/area; is a haven for bikers, joggers, & near beach.
4EE092EC-97F7-40F3-8C13-1DC178ACAD08.jpeg

833D048D-EF7F-4185-9304-0BBEB2964308.jpeg

My body is pretty familiar/accustomed & adapts well to this endurance type training & frequency.
8 hours of sleep a night, Diet is on point, and With lockdowns have more time to train.

I’ve been off TRT for over 3 years now, as doesn’t suit my goals. I’m 5 8.5 & 184 ish (around 12% bf & fairly jacked).
I don’t need to be uber jacked/thick as it makes me look shorter.
I also don’t like taking an AI near daily to reduce water retention.

My older brother & father are both on TRT & doing very well on it, but no need for me at this time.

Last edited:
How do you know when your muscles are 100% recovered?
Are you considering that your nervous system also needs to recover?

I don't think you need to be 100% recovered to train productively, so there's no real need to make sure you're 100% recovered, and there's no real way to know or define that either. Performing at the peak of you capabilities is important mostly in competition, which is why it's recommended to do a "taper" or "peaking" before (week or so of really low volume), to make sure you're not fatigued.

Outside of competition, I think it's pretty irrelevant to be 100% recovered in terms of long term progress. As long as you accumulate the necessary volume and don't overshoot so much that you're exhausted/feeling like shit all the time/not able to complete your workouts, you should be fine.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to be 100% recovered to train productively, so there's no real need to make sure you're 100% recovered, and there's no real way to know or define that either. Performing at the peak of you capabilities is important mostly in competition, which is why it's recommended to do a "taper" or "peaking" before (week or so of really low volume), to make sure you're not fatigued.

Outside of competition, I think it's pretty irrelevant to be 100% recovered every session in terms of long term progress. As long as you accumulate the necessary volume and don't overshoot so much that you're completely exhausted/feeling like shit all the time/not able to complete your workouts, you should be fine.
I wasn’t suggesting 100% recovery is always necessary.
Super compensation has to occur eventually though.

I found out that don't feel good if I haven't trained and can't be productive at all. So I keep my sessions shorter but train 6x a week
There's always something that can be done on day7. Neglected abs, calves, forearms. Extra cardio, bag sessions, time under tension body lifts.

I wasn’t suggesting 100% recovery is always necessary.
Super compensation has to occur eventually though.

Agree and I'm living proof of this over the past 30 years. Used to train 6-7 days/week, sometimes multiple workouts/day and always to failure. Stepped down to 5-6 days/week in late 30's and now at 47 I'm down to 5 days/week with at least one of those being light and never to absolute failure.

Even doing that, your body needs a break eventually and if you don't program it in, your body will force you to take it. You might not need it this week, this month or even over the next few months but your body can't continue training near max capacity indefinitely. I used to get bad sinus infections and/or injuries that would force me to take at least a few weeks off every year. Stress at work or home + suboptimal sleep increases the need for deload/active recovery days even more.

There's always something that can be done on day7. Neglected abs, calves, forearms. Extra cardio, bag sessions, time under tension body lifts.

ok I didn't want to say it to not sound like a junkie but I jump rope on day 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vividwith33
Back