What's your workout frequency?

Twice a week with light cardio thrown in at the end of the workout. With work and my two little kids I'm pretty exhausted but feel I could do better.

I do a push pull split with mostly compound lifts with some isolated lifts thrown in at the end.

I hit the gym 4 days a week. But Wednesday and Friday I double up on workouts. 1 hour of kickboxing followed by 1 hour of upper body on Wednesday and kickboxing and full body on Friday.
Monday is lower body. Tuesday is HIIT

At 52, I find that I like three whole body weight workouts, with two run days in between. I also do BJJ twice a week. Weekends is for working out in the yard and garden.
I try and keep the volume of each day lower, and will amp up intensity when I am feeling good.
Basically at least four exercises each workout, one for push, pull, legs, and a hip hinge. Usually repeat the 1st and 3rd workout and the 2nd has deads.

Bry

As much as I can, I have GCSE year school though, so its tough.

Lift six times a week hitting each muscle group twice a week, try to mix some light cardio in regularly.

I lift every day, although some days are just assistance. I tried this previously and got crushed, but my work capacity is pretty high now.

3 day a week specific olympic lifting program. Have an optional 4th day which is accessory lifts like snatch balances/ohs and such but usually avoid back to back training days.
Will throw in 1 Higher intensity workout each week
Will throw in mountain bike ride or other longer duration cardio work (1x per week)

Not telling you that you're doing something wrong, but typically, if you need two days of recovery after a workout you might be going too hard.

You might want to think about maximising the amount of work you can do in one week, rather than in one workout.

Training split doesn't matter as long as weekly training volume is equated. There's some small arguments to train more often so you can raise your protein synthesis often and drop myostatin temporarily but those effects are so small that they don't matter in practical terms.

From the practical point of view, it makes sense for beginners to do full body workouts just so they can practice the same moves more often (3 or 4 times week) and learn technique quicker.

The more advanced you are, the less frequently you train because you get stronger and needs more time to recover.

Every day?

Natty?

May I ask what you age is?

What does your routine look like? How many exercises/sets and so on?
Since I go 6x a week, I'll reply too.

40 yo
Natty
10x10, 4x20, 5x3 set/rep ranges depending on if I'm focusing on volume or strength.
Upper/Lower split, will likely be switching to push/legs/pull soon.

I do a 6 day split lifting, ppl, my cardio consists of hitting the heavy bag and swimming.

43 years old, working out 30 years straight. My routines have changed a ton over the course of time as expected. I generally aim for 6 days a week. 3:30 wake up,4:15 gym then sauna is the work day routine,4a up and 5a train/sauna is my off day protocol. This is accompanied by 5-6 yoga sessions a week after work.

I've found the more often i train the better i feel. My off day/days is a nice break but sometimes its hard to get going at work. Sometimes i'll do am/pm active recovery yoga just to keep limber and mentally sharp. I'll normally hit almost every body part 2x a week. Intensity and poundages are dictated by how i feel and how easy the weight move/how the joints respond lol.

After 20+ years of wrestling,physical jobs, and starting BJJ at 36 till 42 i'm still relatively injury free. I herniated L4/L5 at 30 going heavy bent rows and did L5/S1 at 40 going heavy on deadlifts. Little bit of golfers elbow but other than that i feel pretty good. I truly believe all the training, recovery,and an active job have kept me in the game. I dont go heavy to much and damn near dont do it for ego purposes or to match the young buck on the platform next to me! Eating well, putting blood in the muscle, recovery, and sleep is where its at for the over 40 lifters.

It's cool to see im not alone in my training volume and its nice to see all you ladies and gents getting after it training wise. Here's to staying big and strong till we are no more!

10 mile run everyday but sunday. I think everyone can probably do a little more. Everyone is fat here in America.

Last edited:
43 years old, working out 30 years straight. My routines have changed a ton over the course of time as expected. I generally aim for 6 days a week. 3:30 wake up,4:15 gym then sauna is the work day routine,4a up and 5a train/sauna is my off day protocol. This is accompanied by 5-6 yoga sessions a week after work.

I've found the more often i train the better i feel. My off day/days is a nice break but sometimes its hard to get going at work. Sometimes i'll do am/pm active recovery yoga just to keep limber and mentally sharp. I'll normally hit almost every body part 2x a week. Intensity and poundages are dictated by how i feel and how easy the weight move/how the joints respond lol.

After 20+ years of wrestling,physical jobs, and starting BJJ at 36 till 42 i'm still relatively injury free. I herniated L4/L5 at 30 going heavy bent rows and did L5/S1 at 40 going heavy on deadlifts. Little bit of golfers elbow but other than that i feel pretty good. I truly believe all the training, recovery,and an active job have kept me in the game. I dont go heavy to much and damn near dont do it for ego purposes or to match the young buck on the platform next to me! Eating well, putting blood in the muscle, recovery, and sleep is where its at for the over 40 lifters.

It's cool to see im not alone in my training volume and its nice to see all you ladies and gents getting after it training wise. Here's to staying big and strong till we are no more!

I dig it. Reminds me of when I was in the Navy and all the old dogs would be either the first in the gym or chillin the sauna before work. Always keep it moving. No difference in age from the has-beens sitting on the couch and coming up with excuses for skipping pt and the old lions in the gym giving out wisdom to the rest, just a difference in what they did each morning. In fact, the older guys at the gym were generally a lot older than the couch potatoes who couldn't figure out why their bodies were fucked. You last way longer when you dont stop moving. Start believing you are too old to train and you will be!! Stop moving and your blood turns into fucking ice cream. Dont let it happen.

Last edited:
I go about twice a day typically on my upper body and try to get cardio in every other day on leg days. I usually don't have any breaks in between sets to make it more difficult, but my breaks are usually a minute long. Today I had no breaks in between doing the exercise bike on the highest level for a few miles then go a mile on the treadmill then go straight to the sled. I usually load up on a little creatine and spinach before doing all this...

6 days a week. Takes 2-3 hours per day to complete. Stretching exercises are my favorite. When feel bad, I can skip gym.

I'm running a Push/Pull/Legs/Arms-Upper program with at least 2 cardio days. I try to get to BJJ 3X per week (so sometimes I'll do BJJ on a lifting day), but sometimes only get there twice. Sunday is my rest day, but I do sometimes go for a run.

Back