What's your vertical?

I can clear a jumprope (thin one). srsly, I can flat foot jump to the rim, but with an 8'4" reach that isn't saying much.

I can dunk a tennis ball.

hoopjams.jpg

If you are 5'8", have a vert of 26" and can grab the rim you have a reach of around 28". Isn't that a bit much?

No I HAD a vertical of about 26" in high school. That was about five years ago and I know it has improved since then. It's probably somewhere in the low 30's now.

That's pretty good.

It's also probably not true. Verticals are vastly inflated either by lies or more often by improper testing. Running/taking a step, not fully stretching out on the stretch test are the most common culprits. I checked Ascendant's log to see how tall/heavy he was but couldn't find it. I suspect, strong as he is, that he's too big to have a legit 3 foot vert. Who knows though.

36" is the upper echelon for a pro BB player. Though they are taller and heavier so tiny people can have better verts. Still I see people claiming to have 40" verts or saying Michael Jordan could jump 4 feet straight up and well... yeah.

I'm sure its in the 30's. I'm 5'10-ish, and I can grab the rim easily with both hands. Cant quite dunk cleanly, but it rattles in.

I'm 5'10" and about 230.

My ex-gf said that watching me do sprints was like watching a rhino charge. Ha! :) I don't think it was a compliment so much as a description.

Last summer I hired an oly coach for a few months to refine my skill and teaching technique. We trained at a Velocity Sports facility. As we were leaving one day after the workout I saw a black sensor pad by the door and asked him what it was. Turns out it was a vertical tester. My first jump I hit 31". Second was 33". The rest were low 30's.

I came back the next week to try it fresh and hit 36 several times in a row. Thanks, fast twitch fibers!

Mine's not bad.

Here's a picture I took just now.

kellybdunk2.jpg

You've leaned out!!

I can (and do) dunk a doughnut.

While I am not entirely sure how a vertical is measured, I can jump onto 26 stacked yoga mats (so somewhere in the area of 50 inches).

Mind you, this is with my knees tucked into my body.

After reading the thread, it would appear a vertical is a straight up and down measure. If that's the case, I get a shade over 27" (ewww)

Back