What's your excuse for not competing?

My instructor doesn't tell me that BJJ = competition...but he is in his mid 40's and still competes against black belts much younger then him. I think it's pretty badass.

He does not compete in the old man BB division instead?

have to say i'm relieved to see this thread. i compete once or twice a year, and it's just something i don't enjoy. i've seen teammates improve their game right there on the mat during a competition, so awesome to see. i just get nervous all day, can't eat, sh*t myself sideways, and don't roll anything like i normally do.

this is kind of where i'm at. i get so nervous and even if i am in good shape, i gas out like you wouldn't believe. if i could shake the nerves and calm down, i'd probably do much better at tournaments.

i haven't had the time and money to put into training lately so i probably won't compete again until i finish school in may.

Top reasons people don't compete:

1. They are afraid to lose
2. They are lazy and don't want to train hard
3. They just want to coach (which really means they are afraid they will lose)
4. money (a real reason in a few circumstances)
5. They are just not that into BJJ

I think one of the biggest here is too far away. And how about injuries could effect job. That happened to me at the last one. Or, older guys don't want to get muscled around by a 19 year old how is in or just finished wrestling season. Not all tourneys have age divisions. I feel confident on beating them but I might suffer for it. 42 doesn't heal as fast as 22. Just wait it will all make sense in some years

I think one of the biggest here is too far away. And how about injuries could effect job. That happened to me at the last one. Or, older guys don't want to get muscled around by a 19 year old how is in or just finished wrestling season. Not all tourneys have age divisions. I feel confident on beating them but I might suffer for it. 42 doesn't heal as fast as 22. Just wait it will all make sense in some years

Im 34 and not an athletic specimen, so I'm not too far off. Of course injuries can hamper competition, but generally they are not a permanent setback.

Plus you compete a lot...so I guess you're just playing devil's advocate?

I honestly believe most people are just afraid of losing, which is legitimate. Once you can change the tournament mindset from "winning at all costs" to "learn and have fun" I think you start to get a lot better at BJJ overall.

Everyone's got their own reason. You don't need to justify your "excuse" or "reason" to compete or not. I would however recommend that one doesn't compete if there is anything because it will weigh on your mind and inhibit your performance.

I don't care for that, I'm just a fan that likes to watch combat sports and just because I'm a fan that doesn't mean I'm compelled to compete. This is like saying what's your excuse for not trying to make the nfl just because you like Football, It's fuckin stupid.

I have a question for you...

What's your excuse for making such a pointless thread?

I competed a few times as a white belt and a couple times as a blue belt. I love jiu jitsu and the physical challenges that it presents, and I love competing in the gym, but I am not so much a fan of organized competitions...for whatever reason, its just not my thing.

I'm a broke college student comps cost too much money.

I live in West Palm Beach ,FL . Every comp is far as fuck.

I hate the waiting, HATE THE WAITING.

if you walk around at "under 10% body fat" how much weight are you feeling you could lose?

That's my problem - I can't lose alot but maybe I could get down to 170 if I did alot of cardio and sacrificed some strength. 171 to 185 is the current weight class I would have to go into. I tell myself I am going to do a tournament after I can get closer to a 185 everyday weight. I did p90x last summer, that got rid of any access fat I had and I pretty much maintained that wieght. I dropped about 9 pounds in the 90 days but definately gained muscle mass too.

I know the answer will be "when you are comfortable" but how long does it on average take to get to that point?

Im 34 and not an athletic specimen, so I'm not too far off. Of course injuries can hamper competition, but generally they are not a permanent setback.

Plus you compete a lot...so I guess you're just playing devil's advocate?

I honestly believe most people are just afraid of losing, which is legitimate. Once you can change the tournament mindset from "winning at all costs" to "learn and have fun" I think you start to get a lot better at BJJ overall.

34 you are a kid. You r right on about win at all cost. I compete only four times a year. I would love to do one a month but I can't afford the travel. I don't know why guys get so nervous. I think it goes back to competing results = what belt you should be, which I am totally against that way of thinking.
One thing. Keith Owen will not give someone a purple if they have never competed. No matter the outcome. He just wants them to experiance what it's like. I can buy that. Everyone should get in the ring atleast once.

I'm a broke college student comps cost too much money.

I live in West Palm Beach ,FL . Every comp is far as fuck.

I hate the waiting, HATE THE WAITING.

I think the waiting is one of the best lessons guys learn from going to competitions. It's a good life lesson also. Master patience and you can master anything.

I competed for the first time in March (at about 3 months experience). I went against a guy with similar experience and we had a close match, but I lost. It boosted my confidence in a way. I competed again in June and got smashed in a pretty embarassing way (he took my back and had me flattened). I felt like my life was drained from me. It really left me feeling depressed. I made the decision that I wouldn't compete again until I can do a better job hanging with the other WBs at my school. I rarely submit people when I roll.

THe past month and a half I have barely been to class due to work. It sucks too, because there are some local tourneys coming up that I would have considered had I been going to class more. Maybe in the next six weeks or so I can really bust my ass and improve in time for the next local tourney.

currently money. I was hoping to do the UFC fan expo in Boston, but can't afford it right now.

Keith Owen will not give someone a purple if they have never competed. No matter the outcome.

Kudos to Keith Owen! I actually agree with this. You don't have to be a competitor but if your a purple you should have at least competed once IMHO!

I currently have no income, but when I get a jerb I'd like to try competing.
I really wish there were more tournaments in London though; sucks having to travel a few hours out of the city to compete.

dont have the motivation cuz i like to train for self defense and fighting not grappling sport

I find these comments ironic from Rickson/Kron students. And i hear it quite often from them.

It just amazes me, that the students feel that they are above competition, and yet, their instructor is one of the best up and coming Black Belt competitors in the world. :icon_conf

I find these comments ironic from Rickson/Kron students. And i hear it quite often from them.

It just amazes me, that the students feel that they are above competition, and yet, their instructor is one of the best up and coming Black Belt competitors in the world. :icon_conf

Don't forget that Rickson also did BJJ competitions.

How many tournaments do you do in year Oliver?

Last year I did 27.

So far this year I've done 22, and I have another 8 confirmed, and probably another two or three more on top of that will surface closer to the time.

Back