What's your excuse for not competing?

That's awesome, man. I would have loved to wrestle as a kid. I love the way you guys compete often and as a team. Are wrestling tournaments paid for, or do you have to pay a fee for it?

They're paid for by the team during the season but in the off season they're around $15-$25 for local tournaments. The crappy thing is that in the off season a lot of guys have "other sports" that they care about and you can only get three or four guys to give up their Saturday. That and in the off season you run into a lot of really good wrestlers(see my record for this summer) and get some really good matches.

I have competed twice and didn't particularly enjoy it. How often do you compete and how many days a week do you train? You act like everyone that does bjj competes. I know some purple belts who have never competed in there lives!

Anytime I hear of a tourney I go. I just recently entered a grappling open (weight classes only, no belt division bullshit) and fought a two stripe blue belt, a purple belt, and another blue belt. I'm a two stripe white belt. I lost two and won one, but I gave a good fight and refused to tap against the purple and got choked out cold. I train in the Gi twice a week, but am mainly a no-gi grappler these days.

Bottom line, man up and fight. You'll learn a lot and the experience is great even if you lose.

i work saturdays when most competition are held... so i'm down about $100 plus another $300 of lost income for not working that day...$400 is a lot :(

You make 300 bucks a day? What do you do?

Too few heavies around here, generally only get 1-2 matches so I just kind of gave up competition and just go to cheer on teammates.

I can relate to number one. I think my wife (and believe me she nags too) would rather I spend time with her, but she knows I get testy if I can't train at least 3-4 times a week. You have a kid though, so I guess it's a bit different.
Number two is a bitch, but part of competition. Also, last month I waited from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. for a match. I couldn't take it anymore. I'd rather not compete, but my instructors expect me to.

Last time I had a chance to compete, but didn't, it was because I woke up that morning with food poisoning.

I didn't think it would be fair to my opponent.

Last edited:
No excuses. Ever.

Fighting(competing) is the best thing to have in your soul. I compete to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

No excuses. Ever.

Fighting(competing) is the best thing to have in your soul. I compete to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Mike, I knew you were an advanced blue but I didn't know you were reaching ADCC trials level already. When are the regional trials coming up and have you re prioritized your life to train for it? Or are you just gonna go in as is for the experience?

1.5 months of experience is my excuse. I think that is sufficient until I get more experience.

There have been literally 0 Brazilian Jiujitsu competitions in Alaska is pretty legit as an "excuse".

1.5 months of experience is my excuse. I think that is sufficient until I get more experience.

My first tournament was at 3 months. Luckily my bracket had two other guys who were just as green. We just looked like we were just spazzing all over the place. I didn;t get much out of it. I recommend waiting until you can comfortably use the techniques that you learned in class. Only benefit of competing early is gettign comfortable on the mat and working out some of the nerves that come along with competing imo.

My first tournament was at 3 months. Luckily my bracket had two other guys who were just as green. We just looked like we were just spazzing all over the place. I didn;t get much out of it. I recommend waiting until you can comfortably use the techniques that you learned in class. Only benefit of competing early is gettign comfortable on the mat and working out some of the nerves that come along with competing imo.

My issue is that by the time that I am fully comfortable with these guys within this next month... I will be heading back to college and be working with a different set of people at the school's BJJ club.

My issue is that by the time that I am fully comfortable with these guys within this next month... I will be heading back to college and be working with a different set of people at the school's BJJ club.

Get comfortable with the moves, then it doesn't matter who you train with or who you compete against.

Get comfortable with the moves, then it doesn't matter who you train with or who you compete against.

Yeah I guess so.

IDK, I am still having trouble fully twisting myself around to get armbars while my opponent is in guard. Hell, my instructor told me to go for triangle chokes and gogoplatas instead.

Anytime I hear of a tourney I go. I just recently entered a grappling open (weight classes only, no belt division bullshit) and fought a two stripe blue belt, a purple belt, and another blue belt. I'm a two stripe white belt. I lost two and won one, but I gave a good fight and refused to tap against the purple and got choked out cold. I train in the Gi twice a week, but am mainly a no-gi grappler these days.

Bottom line, man up and fight. You'll learn a lot and the experience is great even if you lose.

Dude, some people just wanna train for fun but just aren't really into the competition scene. Acting like a hardass on Sherdog doesn't make you cool. I compete about 5-7 times a year. I would do it more but tournaments are so expensive and I'm a broke college kid. Congrats on fighting higher belts in a tournament btw. That does take balls.

I have no dilusions about winning, or even placing for the trials. I hate to go into a competion setting, and feel like i have zero chance of winning, but again, i have no dilusions for this particular tournament.

Its just for the experience factor at this point in time. Im still young, both in life, and jiu jitsu. I have SO much to learn, and i dont consider myself advanced at all at this point.

I still get tapped by blues and purples. Sure, i catch my fair share of guys, especially without the GI, and these guys i train with are no slouchs, (a majority of them are actually, Mundial, Pan Am, or US National Medalists at Blue/Purple), but by no means am i "advanced".

I have a friend who is what id consider advanced Blue. Hes consistantly entering Advanced NOGI tournaments, and killing Purple and Brown belts. He also qualifed for, and competed in the ADCC Blue Belt World Cup, and almost won (i believe he got second in his division). He also has only been training for like 18months. He is as close to a natural as ive ever seen, or heard.

He will probably make it to the trials as well, and will do better than me, most likely. I dont think id be talking out of turn to say, he will be on the world stage one day.

But anyway, the reason im doing it, like i stated, is for the experience, and to motivate me to get onto the level of guys i want to compete against.

I made myself a promise to do the right things. I havent been doing what i should, for about 2 years straight.

I havent taken School, Work, or Jiu Jitsu as seriously as i should have. Wasting my potential at all of those things. 2 years. Wasted. Sure, im not even 21 yet, but still, its a shame.

Regardless, after a rather earth shattering, life changing, wake up call, im changing all that. Im going to work, study, and train my ass off for the next 2 years, and get to where i NEED to be. Which is done with my degree, on the road to a career instead of a "job", and ready (mentally, and physically) to qualify for ADCC 2013.

Im just going to better. At all of those things. Especially Jiu Jitsu, because its a passion ive never felt before. My soul has been burning since i havent been able to train. I feel like shit. Im angry, depressed, and just not the person i want to be. And im going to change that.

Work is the source.

School is the center.

And Jiu Jitsu is the passion for where i want to be.

I going to win tournaments, and im going to lose tournaments, and when i lose, im going to learn from them. Both in the GI, and without, im going to just compete. Win, lose, draw. But believe me, im coming to win,EVERY-FUCKIN'-TIME!. I plan on making a trip to Brazil in January, and to take it for what its really worth. Staying away from the clubs, women, and w.e, and just improve.

Get my time in on the mat. Thats all i want. Live up to my potential. Ive wasted enough time, im not gonna do it anymore.

Thats my goal. And damn, it feels good to say it. :D

(sorry for the long post guys...)

Back