What's your excuse for not competing?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Graciebarra 847, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Graciebarra 847

Graciebarra 847 Blue Belt

Here are mine and a little info about me. I am a 2 stripe blue and competed as a whitebelt but have not competed at the bluebelt level! Here are my excuses for not competing!

1. My wife can be kind of a nag at times and if I train more than 3 times a week I feel like I am neglecting her and my kid!

2. I only train twice a week and lift twice a week. In order for me to do well at comps I feel like I need to train 4 times a week bjj at least!

3. I walk around 20-30 pounds over my competiton weight. ( I don't diet at all).

4. I don't really enjoy the waiting around in comps. I feel that there is alot of pressure to do well and rather not have that pressure!

To the guys that don't compete what are your excuses? Especially interested to hear guys that train everyday, diet and do everything right and still don't compete!

So guys what's your excuse?

2. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

Too handsome.

3. Pierced7681

Pierced7681 Black Belt

not to be a dick but i think there is no excuse for not competing, unless of course you only train for self defense in which case competing is kind of pointless cause there's no slams, punches, and whatnot.

Who cares if you're 20 pds over your 'supposed' weight division. Man up and fight, don't be a pussy and blame the pressure of the situation or whatever. I never cut weight for any of my comps (im 5'7, 170pds right now and fight at whatever weight class I'm walking around at).

Bottom line, competition is good for your soul and will teach you a lot about yourself.

4. Amiro

Amiro Orange Belt

so far ive been going with 'im too shit'

5. Styrkur

Styrkur White Belt

Money and injury.

6. Graciebarra 847

I have competed twice and didn't particularly enjoy it. How often do you compete and how many days a week do you train? You act like everyone that does bjj competes. I know some purple belts who have never competed in there lives!

7. futang17

futang17 Green Belt

i work saturdays when most competition are held... so i'm down about $100 plus another $300 of lost income for not working that day...$400 is a lot :(

8. Styrkur

Styrkur White Belt

I love competing, I had 5 tournaments when I was a white belt and I can't wait to enter my first tournament as a Blue belt and f8ck those kids up. That being said competing is not for everybody. Not a lot of people can handle the "pressure" and most people are afraid of losing in front of their team. There are also a lot to worry about like financial things..

9. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

I hate to admit it, but it's typically been because I was out of shape. I have competed many times before, but when I'm out of shape, I immediately start doubting myself, my cardio, etc.

I'm in the process of permanently fixing that, and you won't see a post like this from me again. Hold me to that!

10. Admles

Admles Blue Belt

For a start, it's not an "excuse", it's just a "reason" - nothing says you have to compete.

Honestly?

Just not competitive, never have been. I enjoying training, but competition really never interests me.

I most likely will one day, just for the experience, and who knows, maybe I will enjoy it. For now, I work all weekend which is when the tournaments are held here anyway.

11. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I am just not into it.

No big deal.

If you gonna compete, you either give 120% or do not compete.

I like watching top BJJ fights i.e world cup and pan america.

I like watching UFC and I train a bit of MMA, it does not mean I want to compete in MMA either.

12. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

No idea where to compete in China (BJJ and Judo both), especially the west side.

13. Graciebarra 847

I also am a fan of bjj and go to tournaments and watch all the major events. I love watching UFC also.

I kind of agree were you said either you give it 120% or you don't compete!

I was talking to a teammate of mine and asked him if he was going to compete? He said yeah I am doing my weight division and the absolute! He said I train every fucking day so why not!

I can't say that I am anti comp being that I competed twice and if I trained everyday I would have that attitude!

14. Baconator69**

Baconator69** Banned Banned

I chainsmoke

15. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

Oh yeah, this too.

16. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Oh, I actually do the officials duties i.e point scores, a referee as well.

Competing is a part of BJJ but it is not compulsary to compete at all.

If someone tells you the opposite, they are likely to not be in the sport that long i.e white belt. or they belong to some unique BJJ clubs.

17. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

This. I end up going to the cheap ones and not going to the expensive ones more than everything else. If I'm hurt or sick enough not to attend a class, I don't even bother to consider going.

My excuses, on the other hand, are like "professor, lately money has been a little tight and I have been making some plans and I don't know if I can afford to compete this upcoming event or not, and I'm not feeling very confident about competing this month, the place is far from home and I don't think my brother will come along with me, which is a bit silly but I know I'd feel more comfortable knowing he'll go and compete as well, and also my *body part of the time* hasn't recovered properly and I'm afraid that I might worsen the situation by competing, especially because I don't think I can do well on this one, at least not this time, because I honestly don't know if I can pull it off, I've been trying to work on my flaws but it still doesn't seem to be enough in a competitive setting for now and I'm honestly scared of what might happen, not about the win or the loss, but the money I'd end up wasting if I lost in a couple of seconds and the potential of worsening my injuries which would make me train less and not be able to go to my full potential in jiu jitsu, I know competing is important and even the loss teaches you a lot about the sport, but I think I could use the money for *knick-knack that could arguably help me with my personal development* and I'm thinking to myself, "man I don't know if I can pull this off, I really want to compete but I don't know if I have it in me", I feel I'm not aggressive enough to impose my will on the opponent, that kinda bothers me because losing sucks and I want to feel as motivated as possible and lately, I've been having problems with *a certain someone* and that throws me off the little mental game I have and I don't know if I can represent the team properly, which is kinda ashaming to me, professor, but I really want to compete in the future, I really do, it's just not the best opportunity for me right now but in the near future like in the next competition I will compete, I promise, ok professor? Obrigado"

18. InfiniteWit

InfiniteWit Orange Belt

1. not enough tournaments. I want one every weekend in my county. Just like wrestling.

Also; I am running out of arms and legs to get into these fucking BJJ tournaments. I suppose that eventually people will only be able go for chokes and I'll be down a weight class though.

I do compete. All the damn time.

19. Sprawla007

Sprawla007 White Belt

You need to grow a pair of balls and find a heart...ridiculous excuses

20. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

That's awesome, man. I would have loved to wrestle as a kid. I love the way you guys compete often and as a team. Are wrestling tournaments paid for, or do you have to pay a fee for it?