What's your excuse for not competing?

who else have u heard that from and what does it matter, it is a self defense based school, we rarely do 50/50 or more sport oriented techniques, it's bread and butter jiu jitsu,

Ive heard it from several students from Rickson Academy. One guy in particular, who was banned a while back(come to think of it, youre probably the same guy judging from you little temper tantrums.) used to say that competition was watering down the sport, and that isnt what you guys learned.

sorry u cant comprehend someone else that thinks differently than u, this forum is annoying, many narrow minded people, i train to beat the fuckin shit outta people, THATS IT!!!!! spare me your rudeness and we have plenty of competitors, im speakin for myself
Uh, i never said everyone from your academy does not compete, just a majority of them. At least, thats the common perception. I never see many Rickson students at major tournaments. However when i do see one, they are usually pretty freakin good.

and i will compete soon in the future but i dont think about competing night and day, ill do it when i feel like it, and ill tell u one thing i will never pull guard in comp even if i know the guys top game sucks, i always want to be on top, the only usefullness i see from comp is dealing with someone goin full throttle but since training at rickson is super competitive im gettin that feel in training alone, dont believe me ur welcome to come roll with us, im sure u can pay a 1 day class fee, kron welcomes all

i never said i was above the competition, u know nothing about our academy u fuckin prick

Why are you so pissy? Dont try to put words in my mouth and try to act like i said your school isnt super competitive. Everyone in the community knows what it means to be a Rickson student. No one said anything about lack of skills on the mat.

no he said rickson students think they r above comp, i would never say anything disrespectful about btt, and he is a fuckin prick, along with several others here, whatever im not gonna listen to that shit, i have a temper, i dont give a fuck, im not a nice guy to peeps that r disrespectful, ive read other posts where he talks shit on others, ill go dig it up when im bored, i dont like the guy

So youre saying that you dont feel you are above competition, yet you say,
the only usefullness i see from comp is dealing with someone goin full throttle but since training at rickson is super competitive im gettin that feel in training alone,

And where have i "talked shit on others"? Id love to see these posts.

bno and teamcarvalho, and like 3 others r cool

bttinusa can come on here, admit he is wrong, say his sorry, or i will only refer to him as the prick, as of now fuck him, that's my academy he is talkin about

No i wasnt talking about your academy, i was talking about particular people from your academy(yourself included) who feel competition isnt important, for whatever reason, lack of realism in a fight, watered down techniques, etc...

Now if i said, "Fuck Rickson, fuck those guys." then sure, youd have a point about being really pissed.

And i dont think anyone would blame you for refering to me as "The Prick", but to sit there and whine and moan, and hurl insults like its actually going to effect me, is just showing your lack a maturity.

Instead, you could have came out and said, "Hey man, we dont think were above competition, we just dont train for that aspect of the game specifically, and heres why...etc,"

Then we both could have benefitted. I could have gotten the opinion on competition from a student of Kron's, and you would have helped erase that (supposed) misconception about you and your teammate's views on competition.

Either way, im not apologizing for anything, because i didnt insult you, or you academy. I have nothing but the highest regard for everyone(minus you, due to your lack of maturity) from Rickson Academy, especially Kron and Rickson themselves.

There are few bigger Rickson nuthuggers on this board than me. And again, i hold him, his son, and their students in the highest regard possible.

I was merely curious about that aspect of their students view's on competing.

Youre the one who took it upon himself to make it personal, and start hurling insults. If you want to be a little baby who demands apology's just because youre butt-hurt over something that wasnt even and insult, then thats cool.

But im sure it wont buy you any fans in this forum, and it will reflect poorly on you, and your future postings.

Money. So you are asking me to pay $70 on top of the amount I pay for a monthly membership?

Yes?

Too bad.

I don't compete because I don't know how to, never train in any art...

Seriously, nice to know so many reasons why a lot don't compete even if they train hard. Leichen nailed it right when he said BJJ <> competition and any instructor who's got their view otherwise should re-evaluate it...

I don't compete because I don't know how to, never train in any art...

Seriously, nice to know so many reasons why a lot don't compete even if they train hard. Leichen nailed it right when he said BJJ <> competition and any instructor who's got their view otherwise should re-evaluate it...

If you don't train in any art, then why do you have an opinion on the matter at all?

I don't think you need an excuse not to compete. I know of guys in my gym that have become pretty good while never have been in a competition. However I will say the top guys in my gym have ALL competed at least once, usually much more than that. Competition and high ability seem to be highly correlated, at least from what I've seen.

Some guys just don't think they have the athletic ability, conditioning, whatever. I can tell you competition helped my game considerably as I learned to be calm even in a bad spot in front of a good number of people. I think competition helps you to stay calm at all times. It's much more intense and I had a wrestler with about 10 lbs on me driving his forearm into my neck as hard as he could. And I just waited it out. You don't get that type of experience just training. And it gives you so much confidence that you can find your way out of anything..

You don't need an excuse to not compete. It's not something mandatory you are trying to get out of. Just don't do it if you don't want to, and don't come here looking for other BJJ practitioners to relate with about your choice. It's fine if you don't, just be confident in your choice.

You don't need an excuse to not compete. It's not something mandatory you are trying to get out of. Just don't do it if you don't want to, and don't come here looking for other BJJ practitioners to relate with about your choice. It's fine if you don't, just be confident in your choice.

I am not looking to relate to anyone! I just always wondered what the excuses are for someone who trains 5 plus days a week yet never competed! I think that if your in the gym sparring 6 days a week than you have a competitive desire in you! Your not exactly a couch potato!

Back