What's the worst excuse for a loss?

Tim Sylvia after getting dominated by 45 year old Randy Couture for 5 rounds straight.

"I had an injury, I thought it would get better before the fight but it didnt". The crowd booed him so hard after that comment.

Yeah, I'll never forget that one. Nobody wants to hear Goliath make excuses immediately after getting worked by David from bell-to-bell. Poor Tim was his own worst enemy sometimes.

Conor saying that he didn't even really lose because tapping out is not really a loss.

David Haye taking off his shoe so everybody could see his broken toe after getting routed by Klitschko...

Blaming your outfit is about as bad as it gets.

"My legs were shot because I wore a stupid looking 40 lbs costume to the ring"

At what point did he look in the mirror and think "I wanna dress up like Sauron for the biggest night of my life".

His coach didn't think to let him know it was a bad idea?
Totally legit excuse, the crown even made him bleed from his ear. facts.

Tiki Ghosn after having his soul removed from his body by Robbie Lawler:

"They stopped it because of a cut."

" i was inefficient with my energy ". " he won because of a specific set of rulea"

walking 50 feet with 40lbs on your back is NOT going to get you tired....do you realize that guys in the military go on runs, for miles, with heavy ass back packs on, that can weigh 80lbs...and they run for miles....all wilder did was walk to the ring...then the costume came off....his legs were weak, cause of the aggression from fury...

This, come-on.

GettyImages-1207856478.jpg

Imagine looking like that and getting exhausted after wearing 40 pounds on your shoulders for two minutes...

Yeah, was rough af for him.
Considering that his level of opposition besides Fury and Ortit was sub par though, it's ubderstandable that there has always been doubts about how good he really is.

I was surprised when i realized how few people outside of boxing fan circles knew that he fought lots of "bad" opponents.

his opponents were not supbar, because he was undersized (most of the time) and also had a skill disadvantage against Pretty much all Amateur and pro fighters.

he is probably the only guy in history of Combat Sports, who not only had a size dis. but also a skill disadvantage.

When your Opponent is way more skilled than you and has a looot more expierence, then hes not a sup bar fighter.

Lmao i was going to say wilder too.he even has the audacity to say he wants another fight with fury.

Fabia - "you guys don't even understand what you're seeing" (Not a loss but still)

Diaz brothers and rampage getting hurt about wrestling. Wrestling..... Imagine complaining you got outstruck all fight.

Bad excuses;
* losing because wrestling isn't real fighting - this is mma you dumb fuck
* blaming a premature stoppage when you were getting owned throughout
* saying your walkout outfit was heavy

Acceptable excuses:
* injuries

I don't get people saying injuries are bad excuses.
Yeah it might sound pathetic - but let's not pretend that an injury doesn't hinder your performance.

Unless it's just a blatant lie, an excuse can still be somewhat "reasonable". It's still an excuse because you try to downplay your opponent's merit by implying that he took advantage instead of just winning fair and square, but at least it can make some sort of sense.

However, Wilder's excuse is of the worst kind. If we accept it, it makes him look even worse because it means that he purposely gassed himself before a really important fight just to pull off a silly entrance like he was in the WWE.

I can understand something like getting sick shortly before a fight, pushing forward then try to offer an "explanation" for the loss, but this case is just embarrassing.
Good post. There are valid excuses like when someone gets super sick just before the fight but take the fight not to disappoint the fans or let everyone down. However it's only understood if it's someone else that releases that info. If you take the fight and then cry afterwards then it's on the fighter. You didn't have to fight.
Deontay Wilder gets credit for worse excuse. C'mon seriously.

I served in the USMC, avg carrying weight for a hike was over 80lbs (double what he wore). We didn't hike for a 5 minute walkout either, it was for miles, usually with drill and no one weighed 230+.
View attachment 735757
Whattup fellow Veteran, and to add to that what about the 2 month long bush trips with almost no sleep, ration packs (Aussie ones were fucking gross, the MRE's you guys have aren't bad), prickly heat and other rashes, 40 degree heat and every sort of bug all over you. Leeches and torrential rain in the jungle. Sand and wind in the desert. Add all those things and we would lose 10 kgs be under nourished and yet NO one would complain.
walking 50 feet with 40lbs on your back is NOT going to get you tired....do you realize that guys in the military go on runs, for miles, with heavy ass back packs on, that can weigh 80lbs...and they run for miles....all wilder did was walk to the ring...then the costume came off....his legs were weak, cause of the aggression from fury...
I have seen little girls who weigh 55kgs pack march 15kms with 20kg. They also probably tapped pridejitzoo.

Mini Mendes claiming he wouldve beaten Conor with full camp while calling him a coward for basically accebting himself as the late replacement to save an event

I'd argue there's a huge difference between actively making excuses and just honestly answering the question "how did you feel out there?"

If someone says "I would've won if it wasn't for X" - that's an active excuse.

If Rogan asks "How did you feel out there? Were you 100%?" and you say "I injured my left hand" that's not necessarily actively making an excuse - it's just being honest.

I'd hate the idea that fighters would have to lie and pretend they were 100% if they weren't - just to avoid being called out over "making excuses for their loss". Sure - they must realize some things like 'my walkout clothes were too heavy' sound like BS no matter what. But if they mention a legit injury - that's not necessarily "making a bad excuse" - that's just telling it like it is.

A 110kgworld champion whos legs shut after carrying 20 kg 100 meters

Back