what's the best way to build up core strength?

The Big Dipper said:
With all due respect this is a discussion board, not strictly a database of information. Sometimes people want fresh input and whatnot. Some kid got torn up for asking where to buy chin up bars yesterday; 'hit search jackass', well maybe someone has a recommendation for a product they've tried after the old-time post was made, maybe someone knows a site/store that wasnt mentioned before. I'm not a mod and I don't mean to overstep my bounds, but relax and help a poster out, if not keep browsing the board.

:curling into the fetal position preparing for backlash:

I was telling him to search because this has already been discussed 3 times this month.

Urban said:
Yeah, I'm sitting here reading this trying to decide if opeth is being an asshole again, or if he's just illiterate. I shall quote myself:

as far as it being easier with the band than without any added resistance, I fail to see that's the case.

i think you're acting like a real asshole. i didnt call you any names or disrespect you. medicine ball is the best way to develop core strength :(

First, admit that what you said about bands is incorrect. Second admit that medicine balls are not the best way to develop core strength. Third, start explaining why you think these things. Any assclown hand poke his head in here, say something is right, wrong, or the best and leave. You need to say why.

Sandbag carrying and shouldering, actually pretty much anything with heavy sandbags should hit your core nicely. Deads and Squats (especially overhead) are great core builders also.

Weighted pullups and front squats are the two compound lifts that really make me feel like my abs have really been worked over. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned them directly.

OpethDrums said:
medicine ball is the best way to develop core strength :(

No, no it's not. It has it's purposes, but it's overrated and there are better ways to develop core strength.

morganfreeman said:
Weighted pullups and front squats are the two compound lifts that really make me feel like my abs have really been worked over. I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned them directly.

I like to hold my legs out when I'm doing pullups so that my body is making an 'L' shape. Everyother rep I switch between legs together and legs spread.

Different strokes for different folkes. There's obviously a huge variety of things you can do. Full range heavy (weighted) ab movements like romain chair weighted twisting situps (involving the hip flexors), any kind of heavy Weighted side bend and deadlifts are things that I love to do.

Placebo_ said:
I like to hold my legs out when I'm doing pullups so that my body is making an 'L' shape. Everyother rep I switch between legs together and legs spread.

I find that my abs feel more strained when I hang a dumbell between my feet than they do when I use a belt, so that really isn't an option. I'll keep that in mind for when the dumbells at my gym start getting a little light

Can you do overhead press with dumbbells, i dont like using the bar, i find myself leaning back when it comes down so i dont hit my head.

You can, but IMO DB overhead press is a different animal entirely. It still requires core muscles to stabilize the load (in addition to stabilizing the individual DBs with each shoulder), but the reduced weight puts less stress on core muscles. In this instance Less stress = less developement. I really like DB overhead presses, but I think there's a lot to be said for BB overheads because of the athleticism and body awareness needed (you have to really be able to maneuver under the weight which is no easy feat).

I have really been enjoying doing BB overhead presses. It's very rewarding to know you moved weight above your head...I dunno, makes you feel like a viking of old or something.

Its strange but I did OHP standing 3 or so weeks ago and was left with a aching shoulder for a week....bizzare. I lifted less then when I do a seated variation (or am I confusing OHP with MP)

Ian1983 said:
Its strange but I did OHP standing 3 or so weeks ago and was left with a aching shoulder for a week....bizzare. I lifted less then when I do a seated variation (or am I confusing OHP with MP)

Good thread about this here

Happy lifting!

cheers for the link, I missed that the first time around

NINcomplete said:
I'm just getting into building up strength, and they say this is the most important thing to focus on :D

This program is from MuscleMedia 2000. It is a starting program to get your core strong. It has a lot of focus on legs and back. Although I had to add some Abs in there because there wasn't any. I just got done doing it and man it works freaking wonders. Your legs get pretty strong in 3 weeks and so does your back.

Day 1
Squats 5X5
Deadlifts 5X5
Bench 5X5
Pull-ups 4XFailure
Leg Press 3X8

Day 2
Rest

Day 3
Squats (with 60lbs. less than Day 1) 5X5
Military Press 5X5
Barbell Rows 5X5
Stiff-leg Deadlifts 3X8
Barbell curls 3X8
One-armed push downs with rope 3X8

Day 4
Rest

Day 5
Squats 3X5 (weight from Day 1) 2X3 (+10 or 20 from Day 1)
High Pulls (power cleans without securing the weight at the top) 5X5 or Shrugs 5X8 if you're wussy
Incline Bench 5X5
Pull-ups with triangle bar 3X8
Leg extensions 3X8
Skull crushers 3X8
Concentration curls 3X8

Days 6 and 7
Rest

Use the same weight for each set. Before working out stretch your legs out. Do a warm-up for squats by doing something like this.

Say the weight you will be squatting is 225.
135 for 3 reps
immediately followed by 185 for 2
then right after that 205 for 1

Give yourself a good 2 1/2 - 3 minutes rest between sets for your big lifts (the 5X5 ones)

When you start doing upper body stretch your upper body.

midicine balls are the best way i've tried them all.. if you can go 2 rounds doing a medicine ball workout than your core is stronger than some guy that only does squats, bench, and deads.. thats for sure. why? because a medicine ball workout works the core more effectively than the 3 big lifts combined, which only involve static strength with 0 range of motion. urban is wrong and a troll/postwhore.

ChowTime100 said:
This program is from MuscleMedia 2000. It is a starting program to get your core strong. It has a lot of focus on legs and back. Although I had to add some Abs in there because there wasn't any. I just got done doing it and man it works freaking wonders. Your legs get pretty strong in 3 weeks and so does your back.

Day 1
Squats 5X5
Deadlifts 5X5
Bench 5X5
Pull-ups 4XFailure
Leg Press 3X8

Day 2
Rest

Day 3
Squats (with 60lbs. less than Day 1) 5X5
Military Press 5X5
Barbell Rows 5X5
Stiff-leg Deadlifts 3X8
Barbell curls 3X8
One-armed push downs with rope 3X8

Day 4
Rest

Day 5
Squats 3X5 (weight from Day 1) 2X3 (+10 or 20 from Day 1)
High Pulls (power cleans without securing the weight at the top) 5X5 or Shrugs 5X8 if you're wussy
Incline Bench 5X5
Pull-ups with triangle bar 3X8
Leg extensions 3X8
Skull crushers 3X8
Concentration curls 3X8

Days 6 and 7
Rest

Use the same weight for each set. Before working out stretch your legs out. Do a warm-up for squats by doing something like this.

Say the weight you will be squatting is 225.
135 for 3 reps
immediately followed by 185 for 2
then right after that 205 for 1

Give yourself a good 2 1/2 - 3 minutes rest between sets for your big lifts (the 5X5 ones)

When you start doing upper body stretch your upper body.

Muscle media dude?? WTF?

Back