what's the best way to build up core strength?

NINcomplete

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm just getting into building up strength, and they say this is the most important thing to focus on :D

define core.

My vote for best ways to develop the core goes to deadlifts, squats and overhead presses. if you're going to do nothing else in the gym, do these.

if you mean abs, then probably roll-outs because its the hardest core orientated exercise ive tried

Do what Urban says. Also give overhead squats a try. They'll make you manly.

Core to me is both abs and back.

There are stabilizing core exercises like squats and dead lift and direct core work like Woodchops and knee raises.

how about you do a search for "core"

With all due respect this is a discussion board, not strictly a database of information. Sometimes people want fresh input and whatnot. Some kid got torn up for asking where to buy chin up bars yesterday; 'hit search jackass', well maybe someone has a recommendation for a product they've tried after the old-time post was made, maybe someone knows a site/store that wasnt mentioned before. I'm not a mod and I don't mean to overstep my bounds, but relax and help a poster out, if not keep browsing the board.

:curling into the fetal position preparing for backlash:

For indirect core work, go with what urban said....thats all I have ever done baring MT and training conditioning.

For direct work, weighted abs, roll outs and wood choppers (contact twists) as mentioned.

I've found my core has become weaker then my legs (couple of weeks ago was my first session back for a bit and when squatting my abs decided to cramp up on me. Only time I've ever had atleast 4 visible abs bulging).

I know its a bit obvious, but I had never thought of roll outs for progression, but obviously you can get a weight vest, strap it on and vary the weight. I just need to aquire a thing to do the roll outs on (I know I know, barbell)

bands may be a better way to add resistance on rollouts. I've yet to try it, but I've been thinking that adding bands to pull away from you would add resistance in a more appropriate direction than adding a weighted vest.

Urban said:
bands may be a better way to add resistance on rollouts. I've yet to try it, but I've been thinking that adding bands to pull away from you would add resistance in a more appropriate direction than adding a weighted vest.

wrong. it's actually easier to do a roll out with a band as you're saying than without one. a weight vest would be harder.

OpethDrums said:
wrong. it's actually easier to do a roll out with a band as you're saying than without one. a weight vest would be harder.
Yup.

And Ab rollouts are not direct ab work I dont think.

It's stabilizer work.

OpethDrums said:

i think what he meant was having a band pulling the roller away from you, attached to some point in front of you, not pulling the roller back towards your feet. with this setup it is obvious that the rollout would be harder.

#1can said:
i think what he meant was having a band pulling the roller away from you, attached to some point in front of you, not pulling the roller back towards your feet. with this setup it is obvious that the rollout would be harder.
you mean like making the come back part of rollout harder?

Yeah, I'm sitting here reading this trying to decide if opeth is being an asshole again, or if he's just illiterate. I shall quote myself:
Urban said:
adding bands to pull away from you
as far as it being easier with the band than without any added resistance, I fail to see that's the case.

bandsonaabwheel.jpg

does that clear up what I'm talking about? (the blue things are bands)

All the baic compound movements require stabilization from your core.

Urban said:
Yeah, I'm sitting here reading this trying to decide if opeth is being an asshole again, or if he's just illiterate.

Don't worry -- I understood you the first time.

Back