what's the best way to build up core strength?

OpethDrums said:
midicine balls are the best way i've tried them all.. if you can go 2 rounds doing a medicine ball workout than your core is stronger than some guy that only does squats, bench, and deads.. thats for sure. why? because a medicine ball workout works the core more effectively than the 3 big lifts combined, which only involve static strength with 0 range of motion. urban is wrong and a troll/postwhore.

It depends what your after

OpethDrums said:
midicine balls are the best way i've tried them all.. if you can go 2 rounds doing a medicine ball workout than your core is stronger than some guy that only does squats, bench, and deads.. thats for sure. why? because a medicine ball workout works the core more effectively than the 3 big lifts combined, which only involve static strength with 0 range of motion. urban is wrong and a troll/postwhore.
Right, and clearly medicine ball exercises are better than standing ab wheel rollouts, side presses, saxon side bends, power iron coils, bent presses, full contact twists, loaded situps, russian twists, gagne's cyclones, and dragon flags. Yup, I think it's safe to say that no matter what your goal is medicine balls are the best way to achieve it.

Why did I list squat, deadlift and overhead press instead of the above exercises originally? cause if I say "these are great core exercises" that's all the original poster will do cause "everyone wants to major in minor shit" (Dave Tate) and they will completely ignore those key exercises to training to capitalize on good core strength. Furthermore stabilizing a heavy load like you do activates ALL KINDS of your core muscles, thereby training them. And if he comes back and says "I already do those three and am proficient at them," then we can move on from there.

Asserting that medicine ball training is the best tool for core training is not only myopic, it's wrong, which is why I called bullshit. Medicine ball training is typicially very explosive, and tough to load to heavy weights, which DOESN'T make it the best for all athletes. Without knowing his goals, perhaps you should avoid suggesting something so specific.

I don't know if it's you or your posting style opeth, but something in this equation is really irritating. You come off as an a arrogant, closed minded asshole who expects his posts to be accepted as fact without qualifying the content.

ah ha you bit my hook. jk ;-)

a lot more things can be done with a medicine ball than you think.. these full contact twists you talk about can be done with a medicine ball. you sit with your legs together in front of you flat, and twist from side to side with the medicine ball. it's very hard.. don't knock it till you try it

i assume he is an athlete (not a powerlifter) so i gave him the medicine ball which help anaerobic strength as well as endurance in almost any sport and can be used an infinite amount of ways.

it's not me or my posting style that bugs you.. it's that i'm right and you just can't stand it

wood chops high to low and low to hig,45 degree hypers,hip locks,table tops leg raises cable standing crunches-glute ham rasies,and the compound movements the other guys said-the woood chops are close to the best-

Opeth, It's true that you can do alot of awsome movements with a medecin ball but alot of those can also be done with a small heavy bag as well as iron. Different srokes for different folkes. Also movements that are the most functional are with out a doubt the best. I would rather do heavy twisting on a roman chair which also involves the hip flexors, heavy standing lateral trunk flexions, insane stabalizer work like roll outs, Deads, squats, one arm pushpress ect. than any type of crunch, leg raises and other more common ab work.

weight can be added to leg raises and they work the hip flexors,standing crunches also can be done with added weight and work the hip flexors-(abs,hip,lowerbck,glutes,hams )thats the core,while most compound exericeses will wotk the core because of the need to stabilize the body direct ab work does have it's benifits and place in a routine-all top powerlifters do direct ab work-the guy that trains next to me day in and day out who benches 804 in contest,and way over a 1000 pound squat does high incline situps with 100 dumbell on his chest on the reg along with other direct ab work

JACKC your posts make me hate life. Not only are they full of extraneous and most likely false personal anecdotes, but YOU DON'T FUCKING PUNCTUATE! HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A GOD DAMNED PERIOD? DO YOU COMPREHEND HOW HARD IT IS TO WADE THROUGH THAT BULLSHIT YOU CRAP OUT ONTO THE SCREEN?

In conclusion, learn how to write.

Sincerely,
HULKAMANIA.

if hating on me makes you feel better then enjoy,but any one with a screen name of hulkamania will never be taking serioulsly by me.

if hating on me makes you feel better then enjoy,but any one with a screen name of hulkamania will never be taking serioulsly by me.oh and by the way check into powerlifter john bernor is the person that i am refering too....last week 1050 in training on the squat.

JACKC said:
weight can be added to leg raises and they work the hip flexors,standing crunches also can be done with added weight and work the hip flexors-(abs,hip,lowerbck,glutes,hams )thats the core,while most compound exericeses will wotk the core because of the need to stabilize the body direct ab work does have it's benifits and place in a routine-all top powerlifters do direct ab work-the guy that trains next to me day in and day out who benches 804 in contest,and way over a 1000 pound squat does high incline situps with 100 dumbell on his chest on the reg along with other direct ab work

I know that Louie Simmons uses the standing weighted crunch, and as far as weighted leg raises go, they can be great too. It depends what you're training for. Everything has it's time and place but I personaly would rather do stuff that resembles what I previously mentioned do to the functionality of those types of movements.
Anyways, different strokes for different folkes man.

i think thqat the movements that you listed work well also,i think for best results you need to mix and match and do what works best for your body,i know some exercises that are great for some but with my body they just hurt....or maybe it's im getting old..lol

a period... please...

Just one? Just make one real, legible sentence per post, and I'll be happy.

Why don't you go watch some wwf reruns.How that for you?

I can't believe my own eyes. You finally put ONE period in there, and it's IN THE WRONG PLACE. Are you trying to kill me? That's a QUESTION, compadre, use a QUESTION MARK.

i say DL's squat and overhead press with a bottle a steroids.

HULKAMANIA said:
I can't believe my own eyes. You finally put ONE period in there, and it's IN THE WRONG PLACE. Are you trying to kill me? That's a QUESTION, compadre, use a QUESTION MARK.

LOL.
I see you're trying to drive him equaly crazy.

i wasn't asking a question there for it calls for a . or a !.Why don't you just ask your teacher at recees?

JACKC said:
Why don't you go watch some wwf reruns.How that for you?

Sorry, I had to jump in here.

Correct sentence: "Why don't you go watch some WWF reruns? How's that for you?

Again, sorry. :wink:

Back