Rewatch What was the worst destruction of a champion ever?

How was Volk/Topuria 'completely one sided'???

I'd say Conor vs Eddie, for how easy and disrespectful he made it look, over enough time that there was no question of any fluke or lucky punch, like people might say about the Aldo fight.

Conor vs Eddie is a nice pick but not easy and disrespectful as Silva vs Franklin

Conor vs Aldo and Jones vs Shogun are up there but the contenders were the favorites. GSP/Serra on the other hand was totally unexpected.

It wasn't MMA, but damn.. never thought I'd see Francis get brutally stopped like that after seeing him run through the HW division in the UFC
The fact that it didn't happen in his pro boxing debut is more surprising IMO. The sweet science is highly specialized. Ngannou just isn't on their level. How could he be? He's not a boxer. He is an MMA champ though and he represented pretty well in boxing match number one. The results from boxing match number two should not surprise anyone. Just because you're good at Cricket wouldn't make you the best at American baseball either, even though they are related.

The fact that it didn't happen in his pro boxing debut is more surprising IMO. The sweet science is highly specialized. Ngannou just isn't on their level. How could he be? He's not a boxer. He is an MMA champ though and he represented pretty well in boxing match number one. The results from boxing match number two should not surprise anyone. Just because you're good at Cricket wouldn't make you the best at American baseball either, even though they are related.
Yeah, was just an aura he had from dominating most dudes in the UFC then seeing him get crushed, gg

It's Jones and Shogun.
Close the thread. This is the definitive answer. For many other fights, the champs lost but never was a champion utterly demolished and made to look like an absolute amateur at the same time.

Shogun got beat up real bad against Hendo in their all time great fight and he still never tapped out like he did against Jones.

GSP/Serra 1
Franklin/Anderson
Anderson/Weidman 1

No particular order, but those 3 always come to mind for me when this question comes up. Looks like I'm not the only one lol.

Amanda Nunes completely wrecking Tate in like 3 minutes. Knocked her down, gave her the blood mask, and choked her out in a bit over half a round. I don't know if Meisha even got a single punch in.
Good pick

GSP vs Hughes II

Hughes had been such a dominant champion, and although most felt at this point, he was on borrowed time holding that belt, to see him confusticated ever so profuciously....was a sight to behold.
Ah, yes, the prognosticism of the delilapagos. A classic.

Franklin vs Silva and Esparza vs Joanna looked like they had nothing to do here while being champs
a5Te_J.gif

4cb8ad447c07cf10a4a9625c5107f2dd.gif

In recent memory, Adesanya vs Whittaker 1

Reactions: HHJ
Jones vs Rua was not a huge surprise to see coming. Jones was younger, with significant size advantages and considerably less attrition on the body as Rua had.

Silva debuted emphatically against Leben, who was a pretty tough cat in his own right, but Franklin was definitely a step up. I don't think most people expected him to get absolutely wrecked by Silva as he did. It was one of the few fights were you could genuinely see fear in a fighter's eyes.

The Cain/JDS prime era was such a good era for HW. But Cain had a dreadful performance against Werdum at UFC 188. JDS KOed him a few fights earlier but apart from that he was a force of destruction against all comers, and he looked like garbage against Fabricio.

Werdum was rocking him on the feet and I remember between rounds Cain's eyes were all over the place and he couldn't hold his water bottle to drink, it was crazy. Then the sub, the HW belt changing hands by sub is really rare, and Cain shooting straight into a guillotine is a really basic grappling error. :oops:

Edit: Some gifs:

tumblr_npy2mltxaH1u2ragso3_250.gif

tumblr_npy2mltxaH1u2ragso2_250.gif

pf8IAB.gif
This version of werdum competes with any HW. God damn that second wind he got made him dangerous. Striking was simple brutal and effective. Knee strikes for days

Eddie Alvarez vs Conor was pretty lopsided. Eddie looked like he didn't belong in there.
I remember before the fight even started, he does his vigorously shaking of his head as if pre-KO'ing himself or making himself more vulnerable to being KO'd.

Back