What was the worst case of sacrificial lamb?

Otto!

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
What do you you think was the worst case of a match up so bad that it appeared that one fighter was basically sacrificed to boost another rising fighter’s resume? I am not talking about one-sided beatdowns, just questionable matchups with significant record differences.

I think that Bisping vs Sinosic (UFC 70- 2007) fits that bill. Bisping had won TUF a year prior, and he was already hugely popular in the UK. UFC 70 was the first ever UFC card in Manchester, which was also Bisping’s hometown.

Michael was definitely a rising star with a 12-0 record at the time, which is why I was surprised when they matched him up with Elvis Sinosic, who had a 7-9-2 record at that point. While records don’t tell the whole story, it definitely looked like this match up was made to guarantee a solid victory for the local favourite.

Any other example come to mind?

LividAptAfricanmolesnake-max-1mb.gif

Kris Moutinho.

Everyone is saying how deep and stacked the BW division is, yet they went for a regional fighter for O'Malley in a short notice fight. While guys like Brian Kelleher, Merab, and other guys in the roster happily volunteered to step in.

OnlyOffensiveIrishredandwhitesetter-size_restricted.gif

Travis Browne vs Bigfoot Silva. Travis was coming from victories against MMA top guys like Chad Griggs and Rob Broughton, while Silva's last win was against some fat russian guy, Frodo Manletianenko or something. Silva made a name out of himself by beating Browne.

Kris Moutinho.

Everyone is saying how deep and stacked the BW division is, yet they went for a regional fighter for O'Malley in a short notice fight. While guys like Brian Kelleher, Merab, and other guys in the roster happily volunteered to step in.

/thread

What do you you think was the worst case of a match up so bad that it appeared that one fighter was basically sacrificed to boost another rising fighter’s resume? I am not talking about one-sided beatdowns, just questionable matchups with significant record differences.

I think that Bisping vs Sinosic (UFC 70- 2007) fits that bill. Bisping had won TUF a year prior, and he was already hugely popular in the UK. UFC 70 was the first ever UFC card in Manchester, which was also Bisping’s hometown.

Michael was definitely a rising star with a 12-0 record at the time, which is why I was surprised when they matched him up with Elvis Sinosic, who had a 7-9-2 record at that point. While records don’t tell the whole story, it definitely looked like this match up was made to guarantee a solid victory for the local favourite.

Any other example come to mind?
Who did Cyborg fight in the UFC first? Was it Tonya Evinger?

Whoever it was, her lol.

Kris Moutinho.

Yep, this was a disgrace. Dragged him in straight from the paint factory. I just hope the Kris gets something out of it.

Kris Moutinho.

Lol at that “stoppage” any time I watch it. Damn Herb is so obvious with his fight fixing.

Back