What was a bigger upset - Mcgregor v Diaz 1 or Holm v Rousey?

Ronda didnt need to strike to beat Holm though,or most people she fought. She actually did rock Holm at one point though,Fedor Bless.

Rhonda was too short and too slow for Holm. You can see from the opening minute she was lost.

Rhonda was too short and too slow for Holm. You can see from the opening minute she was lost.
I dunno about too short,but she just could not keep up with her footwork,and got blitzed up.

She carried herself well but I wouldn't go so far with the legit world champ thing. She did beat a lot of the older mainstays in female boxing when she was coming up. She never fought outside of her state. That is the major thing that bothers me. Her whole game is to outwork the opponent with volume and tire them out. Her state is at high altitude and the opponents are not acclimated to that elevation. There is the hometown judging but I don't ever believe it came to play in her career.

Well, yeah, compared to Sugar Ray Robinson or Marvin Hagler, true.

But compared to Rhonda Rousey, Holly Holmes striking, speed, footwork were World Class.

Rhonda had judo, but as you say Holly had an outstanding work rate. Weaponizing stamina and work rate is a major attribute, IMO.

Holly just didn't have the power, and she wouldn't sit down on her punches to generate the power, but her speed, reach, timing and technique were "on another level" compared to Rousey — who was bewildered and befuddled by the difference.

Rousey wasn't KO'd by Holly because of Holly's power, but because of Holly speed and timing — combined with Rousey's cluelessness. It was an over-matching of skilled and athleticism.

When Rousey lost to Nuñez, it was an over matching of these things, plus power.

Well, yeah, compared to Sugar Ray Robinson or Marvin Hagler, true.

But compared to Rhonda Rousey, Holly Holmes striking, speed, footwork were World Class.

Rhonda had judo, but as you say Holly had an outstanding work rate. Weaponizing stamina and work rate is a major attribute, IMO.

Holly just didn't have the power, and she wouldn't sit down on her punches to generate the power, but her speed, reach, timing and technique were "on another level" compared to Rousey — who was bewildered and befuddled by the difference.

Rousey wasn't KO'd by Holly because of Holly's power, but because of Holly speed and timing — combined with Rousey's cluelessness. It was an over-matching of skilled and athleticism.

When Rousey lost to Nuñez, it was an over matching of these things, plus power.
Ronda got ko'd by a head kick. You could be as pillowfisted as can be and still knock someone out w a headkick,esp when they are getting up and dont see it.

It's spelled "Ronda".

And you can see all kinds of shit in hindsight. Next fight, Miesha beat Holly.

Ronda got ko'd by a head kick. You could be as pillowfisted as can be and still knock someone out w a headkick,esp when they are getting up and dont see it.

Genius, re-watch the fight.

Yeah, if that's all you're simple mind remembers, fine.

But it was Holly's speed, timing, and footwork — which basically had Ronda chasing ghosts, missing Holly so badly that Rhnda got completely turned-around, was literally facing the wrong direction and then Holly land at the kick.

You literally have no clue what you're watching if all you remember is "the head kick" and not the speed, timing, and footwork that created a complete turn-around, and thereby the opening.

GettyImages-497205582.jpg

The Ronda hype was idiotic at that point. Going into the Holm fight there would have been people that would pick Ronda to beat Conor.

Genius, re-watch the fight.

Yeah, if that's all you're simple mind remembers, fine.

But it was Holly's speed, timing, and footwork — which basically had Ronda chasing ghosts, missing Holly so badly that Rhnda got completely turned-around, was literally facing the wrong direction and then Holly land at the kick.

You literally have no clue what you're watching if all you remember is "the head kick" and not the speed, timing, and footwork that created a complete turn-around, and thereby the opening.
I remember the whole fight,but what I am saying she was knocked out by a headkick. You dont need to have heavy hands or even be explosive to do that. Even if Ronda saw it coming.

Keep on sputterin and muttering tho.

Well let me re phrase that. Most people who have been into MMA longer that the rise of the "UFC". And those of us, know that Mcgregor has always been over rated

As someone who's watched since 97 I didn't necessarily peg Diaz as "likely" to win, but I definitely didn't see the 4 to 1 thing as accurate. I agree with your general premise though.

The Ronda hype was idiotic at that point. Going into the Holm fight there would have been people that would pick Ronda to beat Conor.

So the Conor hype wasn't as idiotic at the time?

Only a casual would call those upsets.

Your missing the point. If you had a bet slip, you could e brag. You don't.

Everywhere including Sherdog had McGregor by KO. I took Diaz for a number of reasons. I did not take the rd or by stoppage but it was a nice pay day.

Picking bunk betting lines is sweet.

So the Conor hype wasn't as idiotic at the time?

To me it felt like very different things.

Conor was a very marketable fighter who was popular and who they were pushing.

With Ronda it felt like Zuffa was trying to make this crossover star who transcended the UFC and societal gender roles. Rogan claimed she could beat half the male bantamweights on the roster. People had lost it completely.

To me it felt like very different things.

Conor was a very marketable fighter who was popular and who they were pushing.

With Ronda it felt like Zuffa was trying to make this crossover star who transcended the UFC and societal gender roles. Rogan claimed she could beat half the male bantamweights on the roster. People had lost it completely.
Well it was because her marketability was the sole reason WMMA was brought into the UFC,so they were trying to see how far they could take it because she got more popular than people could have imagined. Thats the thing about UFC,is they really about the short term money. They didnt think to take a step back and let shit cool off. They just pushed it as far as it could go for as long as they could.

Well it was because her marketability was the sole reason WMMA was brought into the UFC,so they were trying to see how far they could take it because she got more popular than people could have imagined. Thats the thing about UFC,is they really about the short term money. They didnt think to take a step back and let shit cool off. They just pushed it as far as it could go for as long as they could.

Don't disagree at all - which is why I'm saying that the two didn't feel comparable.

Reactions: HHJ
It's spelled "Ronda".
And you can see all kinds of shit in hindsight. Next fight, Miesha beat Holly.

You missed the "o", added the "h". God, I love illiterates!

Idiots, Im's using voice text. Sometimes I try to change it, but it's really not worth the effort to be meticulous on the spelling. The point is what matters.

FYI, I draft forensic reports for my clients, who pay me for what I write, so yeah, then I'll take the time to spell check everything.

For here? For you? LOL

Your missing the point. If you had a bet slip, you could e brag. You don't.

Everywhere including Sherdog had McGregor by KO. I took Diaz for a number of reasons. I did not take the rd or by stoppage but it was a nice pay day.

Picking bunk betting lines is sweet.
Diaz doesn’t get KO’d lol he’s no 145lb manlet, every real mma fan knew Conor wasn’t gonna KO Diaz.

Back