What was a bigger upset - Mcgregor v Diaz 1 or Holm v Rousey?

Lmao years after upsets happen everyone on Sherdog saw them coming.

People are so full of shit with they’re picks after the fact. I actually think a lot of people legitimately convince themselves they knew what was gonna happen.

to me, it's bringing it up for no reason part. nobody asked what upsets you picked. and then to talk about it like it was so easy to pick and insinuate anyone else was an idiot if you didn't pick it is just that little extra arrogance that shows just how insecure the person saying it is.

hey, look at me! bragging on an internet forum about something i have no proof of.

Holm upset.
I mean Rousey had better hands than Mayweather according to Brogan.

I expected Nick to beat Conor, but had zero confidence that Holly could defend RR's takedowns.
Normally I'd roast you for saying Nick and not Nate

But since your a 2006 account I'll give you a pass and chalk it up to an honest mistake

Kinda of crazy to even ask that question.

Holm v Rousey could be argued as the biggest upset of all time in the UFC (although Serra v GSP might have something to say about that). Part of what was shocking was how easily Holly did it not just she was a huge underdog.

Conor v Nate wasn't that shocking.

Holm vs Rousey was a huge upset.

I wasn't surprised motherfuckers about the other one.

holm was on the freaking view show and got huge pop
That fight sold I think 1.1 million buys. Ronda's fight with Nunes also did 1.1 million buys. Ronda really was in an elite category when it comes to popularity and to this day.

People thought Rousey was unbeatable. So Ronda.
Conor nuthuggers still to this day think he's unbeatable. They never give props to Conor's opponents, it's always just Conor's fault gassing, fought injured etc.

I mean as far a hype trains go, there was no bigger than Ronda's. Rogan had her beating Floyd Mayweather lol! I think a lot of people thought Nate could beat conman, but not many thought Holly could beat Rousey. I actually would not even consider Nate's win all that much of an upset.

Definitely Holm. Granted in retrospect her style was tailor made to beat Rousey but even at the time I think hardcore fans recognized that Diaz was hardly a gimme fight and would be a difficult matchup for Conor.

This is my problem with the weight bully/size advantage shit people bring up on here. It only applies to fighters they don’t like.

I think you mis-took what I said. I have never used the effeminate term, "weight bully," nor would I.

The whole purpose of fighting is to "bully" (beat the ship out of) someone.

The whole purpose of having a strategy, or going in with a game plan, is to gain an advantage over an opponent, either through approach, tactics, etc.

Using a unique body type (height/reach) is but one form of advantage, and those who have this should use their physical structure to their advantage, if they're thinking.

Is Pereira only making things look easy because he has a size advantage on everyone? The dude is probably the most effective weight cutter I have seen, which I have never criticized him for, but you can’t diminish what Conor has done with the “he just fought smaller people” shit and not say the same about Pereira who has a bigger size advantage at 185 than Conor ever had at 145.

Then the “no takedown threat” stuff, a lot of guys haven’t fought as good of a wrestler as Mendes, Pereira being the most blatant, obvious example out there, but there are many even long reigning champs who haven’t including Volk and Holloway after Conor left 145.

So if you’re gonna be consistent and not be a hypocrite, Pereira’s legacy in your mind should be “he only looked good because he fought tiny people with no TD threat” until he goes to LHW. And even if he wins a belt there as Conor did at 155, his run at 185 should still remain the same if you’re being consistent.

Weight cutting is an art form, and we agree Pereira has mastered this art form.

If you actually checked the record, Conor had also mastered the art form as a FW. This was at the high point of McGregor's career. So I didn't actually "criticize" Conor for cutting weight at FW, I only pointed out why he hadn't lost to that point, except very early in his career. So you are again mis-taking what I said.

I truly believe Conor should have stayed at FW, because I think he would've likely been the greatest Featherweight of all time.

If you actually read my posts on this thread, the subject was my ability to predict that Conor would LOSE when he moved up, precisely because he LOST the size advantage he enjoyed at FW. It wasn't criticism of Conor, it was why I predicted he would lose. For this reason I think it was a stupid move on Conor's part, because in fact he did lose, and and he's continued to lose ever since

That certain fighters are very tall / long for their weight is a potential for advantage which intelligent fighters use as such. Stupid fighters don't use their height advantage, should they possess that type of physique.

This truth is why Jon Jones is the GOAT at LHW. He had a size (height / reach) advantage over absolutely everyone.

This same truth is also why Israel Adesanya has been unstoppable at MW--until he met his taller nemisis, Alex Pereira, again.

It's why Max Holloway was so effective at FW.

It's why Conor was also unstoppable at FW, but so ordinary at LW.

And, yes, it's also why Alex Pereira is such a monster at MW also. (However, Pereira has advantages over all of these other individuals, which I will discuss below.)

Like Conor, the moment Israel Adesanya faces people his own height/reach, he suddenly loses (Jan, Alex). Conor McGregor has enough weaknesses that the moment he starts facing men his size or taller (Nate, Khabib, Poirier), he is suddenly not so invincible and gets beat.

For these very reasons, Jon Jones has not wanted to move up to heavyweight.
For these very reasons, Holloway lost to Poirier when he moved up to LW. (Actually, Poirier beat Holloway at both weights.)

Alex Pereira is significantly different from all of these other "big for their weight" fighters (Jones, Holloway, Izzy, and Conor) — because Alex Pereira truly does possess one-punch KO power and he is also able to carry this power with him when he moves up in weight.

Jones never had one-punch KO power, even at LHW.
Holloway never had one-punch KO power, even at FW.
Adesanya never had one-punch KO power, even at MW.
While Conor McGregor did have one-punch KO power at FW, he couldn't sustain this ability past the second round — and he wasn't able to carry his one-punch KO power when he moved up in weight.

Alex Pereira is unique among all of these other tall fighters, because he can flatline people at MW, and he can flatline people at LHW ... and Pereira has a deeper skill set, striking-wise, than any other fighter in UFC history.

As importantly, Pereira has also proven to be able to knock opponents out in the 1st round, and he sustains the ability to knock people out all the way into the 5th round. This makes Pereira a much more dangerous person, when he moves up, and thereby a better candidate for dual championship.

In closing, while you've gone off on a tangent, my friend, I think it's an interesting tangent.

Because this very tangent explains why I predicted Conor would lose when he moved up to face Diaz. Conor lacks stamina, and he cannot carry his punch to the later rounds. The combination of these weaknesses in Conor puts him at an incredible disadvantage when he moves up in weight.

Cheers

Last edited:
I kind of expected someone to catch Conor, he had that reckless style that you knew would do him in and that was the excitement. Ronda was more grappling based, and yes she'd blitz in but you never expected other wmma girls to catch a KO on her. So Ronda was a bigger upset. In hindsight any aggressive fighter will get caught one day no matter how good they are.

Diaz - really short notice, Diaz wasn't on a great tear or anything like that, and, despite Rousey's run through the women's division, it was pretty obvious that her striking defense was very weak, so a boxer was a bad stylistic matchup for her.

I think you mis-took what I said. I have never used the effeminate term, "weight bully," nor would I.

The whole purpose of fighting is to "bully" (beat the ship out of) someone.

The whole purpose of having a strategy, or going in with a game plan, is to gain an advantage over an opponent, either through approach, tactics, etc.

Using a unique body type (height/reach) is but one form of advantage, and those who have this should use their physical structure to their advantage, if they're thinking.

Weight cutting is an art form, and we agree Pereira has mastered this art form.

If you actually checked the record, Conor had also mastered the art form as a FW. This was at the high point of McGregor's career. So I didn't actually "criticize" Conor for cutting weight at FW, I only pointed out why he hadn't lost to that point, except very early in his career. So you are again mis-taking what I said.

I truly believe Conor should have stayed at FW, because I think he would've likely been the greatest Featherweight of all time.

If you actually read my posts on this thread, the subject was my ability to predict that Conor would LOSE when he moved up, precisely because he LOST the size advantage he enjoyed at FW. It wasn't criticism of Conor, it was why I predicted he would lose. For this reason I think it was a stupid move on Conor's part, because in fact he did lose, and and he's continued to lose ever since

That certain fighters are very tall / long for their weight is a potential for advantage which intelligent fighters use as such. Stupid fighters don't use their height advantage, should they possess that type of physique.

This truth is why Jon Jones is the GOAT at LHW. He had a size (height / reach) advantage over absolutely everyone.

This same truth is also why Israel Adesanya has been unstoppable at MW--until he met his taller nemisis, Alex Pereira, again.

It's why Max Holloway was so effective at FW.

It's why Conor was also unstoppable at FW, but so ordinary at LW.

And, yes, it's also why Alex Pereira is such a monster at MW also. (However, Pereira has advantages over all of these other individuals, which I will discuss below.)

Like Conor, the moment Israel Adesanya faces people his own height/reach, he suddenly loses (Jan, Alex). Conor McGregor has enough weaknesses that the moment he starts facing men his size or taller (Nate, Khabib, Poirier), he is suddenly not so invincible and gets beat.

For these very reasons, Jon Jones has not wanted to move up to heavyweight.
For these very reasons, Holloway lost to Poirier when he moved up to LW. (Actually, Poirier beat Holloway at both weights.)

Alex Pereira is significantly different from all of these other "big for their weight" fighters (Jones, Holloway, Izzy, and Conor) — because Alex Pereira truly does possess one-punch KO power and he is also able to carry this power with him when he moves up in weight.

Jones never had one-punch KO power, even at LHW.
Holloway never had one-punch KO power, even at FW.
Adesanya never had one-punch KO power, even at MW.
While Conor McGregor did have one-punch KO power at FW, he couldn't sustain this ability past the second round — and he wasn't able to carry his one-punch KO power when he moved up in weight.

Alex Pereira is unique among all of these other tall fighters, because he can flatline people at MW, and he can flatline people at LHW ... and Pereira has a deeper skill set, striking-wise, than any other fighter in UFC history.

As importantly, Pereira has also proven to be able to knock opponents out in the 1st round, and he sustains the ability to knock people out all the way into the 5th round. This makes Pereira a much more dangerous person, when he moves up, and thereby a better candidate for dual championship.

In closing, while you've gone off on a tangent, my friend, I think it's an interesting tangent.

Because this very tangent explains why I predicted Conor would lose when he moved up to face Diaz. Conor lacks stamina, and he cannot carry his punch to the later rounds. The combination of these weaknesses in Conor puts him at an incredible disadvantage when he moves up in weight.

Cheers
Okay I get what you’re saying, my bad, I took it the wrong way. Agreed on all of that.

And yeah on Pereira that’s why I say he is probably the most effective weight cutter I have seen. Yes he’s big, but we have seen big guys before, but to have legit cardio, and KO power in the fifth round is insane… I kept thinking he would slow down, which he kinda did in the fourth after all the grappling (which is obviously his Achilles heel and the path to beating him) but he completely recovered by the fifth round which is almost more impressive than just not gassing out at all… the fact he was starting to slow down and recovered surprised the fuck out of me. The dude is physically a freak, I wish he got into MMA when he was younger, but hopefully he makes the most of however long his UFC run will be.

Okay I get what you’re saying, my bad, I took it the wrong way. Agreed on all of that.

My bad too, because I phrased it in such a way, that made it seem like like I'm bad-mouthing using a size advantage. I actually think it's the smart play.

And yeah on Pereira that’s why I say he is probably the most effective weight cutter I have seen. Yes he’s big, but we have seen big guys before, but to have legit cardio, and KO power in the fifth round is insane… I kept thinking he would slow down, which he kinda did in the fourth after all the grappling (which is obviously his Achilles heel and the path to beating him) but he completely recovered by the fifth round which is almost more impressive than just not gassing out at all… the fact he was starting to slow down and recovered surprised the fuck out of me. The dude is physically a freak, I wish he got into MMA when he was younger, but hopefully he makes the most of however long his UFC run will be.

Yep, we pretty much agree on all counts.

The good thing is Pereira is a big dude, and big dudes usually mature more slowly than manletts. Pereira also seems to take pretty good care of himself, athletically, and appears to be involved in many different physical activities at which he excels.

He's looked better on the ground before, in previous fights. I think Izzy's quickness surprised him, and I also don't think he took Izzy all that seriously on the ground — which is part of the reason I think he didn't look so good, because he misjudged Izzy.

If Pereira faces unknown grappling threat, I don't think he's going to try any BS takedowns of his own, but will 100% concentrate on defending takedowns, which he is pretty good at.

I think Pereira has at least three good years left in him. That would be enough time to beat Whittaker at MW, beat Izzy again at MW (next year), possibly defeat a third person (Vettori / Costa), and then move up to LHW in 2024.

That would give him two years to go for the LHW title, which will be more challenging depending on who he faces. My hope is that he brings in a lot of world-class wrestlers to defend takedowns.

I don't think Pereira should be going for submission moves, but should simply work on not getting taken down, as well as getting back up when taken down.

After two rounds, most grapplers have nothing left, and Pereira seems to be a slow starter as well, and by Round 2 he's starting to throw some heavy leather. I don't think anyone in either division can stand up to that.

Cheers

I bet on Nate to win, I think by sub too

My jaw was touching the floor at Rousey unconscious

The reason Días was picked was because he was easy to hit and on vacation. He was hand picked for Connor to add to his highlight reel but it backfired.

Back