What was a bigger upset - Mcgregor v Diaz 1 or Holm v Rousey?

It's not.

Holloway was a flimsy fighter back when Conor faced him, still a boy.

Rewatch the Chad Mendes fight, Conor was gasping for breath at the end of the fight. The only reason Conor won is that Mendes was even more gassed, and a tiny person.

That Conor McGregor was a short-winded fighter might have escaped your notice, but this fact escaped mine. It was pretty clear.

Speak for yourself. It's okay to say as far as "you" knew, she don't have a right to speak for what I know.

I knew for sure Conor could not beat Nate Diaz on the ground, and I knew for sure he didn't have what it took to knock Nate Diaz out.

That Conor was a front runner was already evident, it just took raising the bar (and increasing the size of his opponents) to bring this to light.

The PBP of Conor vs Mendes is right here still and literally nobody after Conor won was talking about Conor's gas tank sucking and being exposed, but rather the usual suspects of:
  • eArLy StOpPaGe
  • RiGgEd
  • ChAd WiNs WiTh FuLl CaMp
  • AlDo Or FrAnKie BeAtS hIm
  • HiS gRoUnD gAmE sTiLl SuCkS
Diaz I is the fight where his gas tank suddenly changed. It's indeed revisionist history to say otherwise.

The internet is forever man.

The PBP of Conor vs Mendes is right here still and literally nobody after Conor won was talking about Conor's gas tank sucking and being exposed, but rather the usual suspects of:
  • eArLy StOpPaGe
  • RiGgEd
  • ChAd WiNs WiTh FuLl CaMp
  • AlDo Or FrAnKie BeAtS hIm
  • HiS gRoUnD gAmE sTiLl SuCkS
Diaz I is the fight where his gas tank suddenly changed. It's indeed revisionist history to say otherwise.

The internet is forever man.

What does that have anything to do with my own personal observations?

"The Internet" is what I was talking about. When I was talking about was my perceptions.

Conor made everything look easy, because he was facing midgets like José Aldo (old, tiny, no takedown threat), Dennis Siever (old, tiny, no takedown threat).

In the Mendes fight, Conor was gasping for air.

Just because Blow Rogan didn't say anything doesn't mean individuals who watching this stuff. Conor was gasping for breath.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this, if you don't believe that I saw Conor McGregor as "short-winded" after that fight — and if you don't want to believe that I thought he was going to have a real tough time putting Diaz away + keeping up with him in the later rounds, you can think what you want.

That's exactly what I thought, and that's exactly what happened — Conor didn't have the firepower to put the much bigger Diaz away, and he didn't have the stamina to hang with him for more than 1.5 rounds.

As I said in my first post on this topic, my surprise was that Conor lasted as long as he did in the second fight, but it pretty much ended the same way the first fight did.

It's childlike for you to believe I'm making this up, but that's your prerogative.

What does that have anything to do with my own personal observations?

"The Internet" is what I was talking about. When I was talking about was my perceptions.

Conor made everything look easy, because he was facing midgets like José Aldo (old, tiny, no takedown threat), Dennis Siever (old, tiny, no takedown threat).

In the Mendes fight, Conor was gasping for air.

Just because Blow Rogan didn't say anything doesn't mean individuals who watching this stuff. Conor was gasping for breath.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this, if you don't believe that I saw Conor McGregor as "short-winded" after that fight — and if you don't want to believe that I thought he was going to have a real tough time putting Diaz away + keeping up with him in the later rounds, you can think what you want.

That's exactly what I thought, and that's exactly what happened — Conor didn't have the firepower to put the much bigger Diaz away, and he didn't have the stamina to hang with him for more than 1.5 rounds.

As I said in my first post on this topic, my surprise was that Conor lasted as long as he did in the second fight, but it pretty much ended the same way the first fight did.

It's childlike for you to believe I'm making this up, but that's your prerogative.

Congrats on apparently being the only person to make this observation at the time, while simultaneously coincidentally there being zero proof you aren't just making this shit up as your account didn't exist back then.

Congrats on apparently being the only person to make this observation at the time, while simultaneously coincidentally there being zero proof you aren't just making this shit up as your account didn't exist back then.

Why are you so hostile?

And why do you think my opinion is based on "media" takes, rather than my own?

And I wasn't the only person who saw Conor's lack of stamina, or who questioned his abilities in the later rounds.

Stay mad though, it's funny.

Why are you so hostile?

And why do you think my opinion is based on "media" takes, rather than my own?

And I wasn't the only person who saw Conor's lack of stamina, or who questioned his abilities in the later rounds.

Stay mad though, it's funny.

gettyimages-549522641.jpg

by default beating Rousey was the bigger upset, she decimated everyone with her grappling. it's harder to use superior striking to win a fight, especially in the female division where it's not that easy to KO people, when your grappling a world class grappler who just needs to get you down.

Holm vs Rousey, by a fucking landslide. I wasn't even remotely surprised at Diaz beating McGregor.

The one that was hyped up all over the media outlets had some amazing wins and looked unstoppable but got in with an odd ball trainer who had then doing stuff that wasnt beneficial which ended up with a massive upset but some wanted them to shut up already sick of the big talk

I expected Nick to beat Conor, but had zero confidence that Holly could defend RR's takedowns.

The only reason these were upsets is because of the filthy lame-brains that eat up hype but don’t actually understand what they’re watching

By the numbers Holm. But just because casuals were super gullible in believing Rousey was indestructible and actually could beat male bantamweights.

Id say that both conor and rousey were exposed. Hilariously, both were the biggest sellers.

I never was convinced conor was anything other than an elite mouth, due to his soft tkos. When nate fought him i thought, nate isnt all that great, this should be even. Then...nate wins.

Holm may had had the style to beat all along, but everyone was saying in those days rousey was *now, good at striking. That said, i didny know and despite how beatable every person rousey fought, i didnt know whod do it. In fact, i always, always said that rousey would be a sore loser and shed quit after her second loss. Never did i think shed quit after her first then come back and quit again.

Holm vs Rousey. Casuals were fully on the train and people who would almost never talk to me about mma knew about Ronda. Hardcores would say she would get beat but she kept destroying girls inside a minute making them look dumb. We all know what finally happened.
holm was on the freaking view show and got huge pop

McGregor was about 4-1 betting vs Diaz. Far from an epic upset. Rousey was something like 10-1 until she looked crazy at the weigh in.

Edit: Rousey was about 15-1. After weigh ins about 8-1

what was wrong with Ronda in the weigh-ins?

This is my problem with the weight bully/size advantage shit people bring up on here. It only applies to fighters they don’t like.

Is Pereira only making things look easy because he has a size advantage on everyone? The dude is probably the most effective weight cutter I have seen, which I have never criticized him for, but you can’t diminish what Conor has done with the “he just fought smaller people” shit and not say the same about Pereira who has a bigger size advantage at 185 than Conor ever had at 145.

Then the “no takedown threat” stuff, a lot of guys haven’t fought as good of a wrestler as Mendes, Pereira being the most blatant, obvious example out there, but there are many even long reigning champs who haven’t including Volk and Holloway after Conor left 145.

So if you’re gonna be consistent and not be a hypocrite, Pereira’s legacy in your mind should be “he only looked good because he fought tiny people with no TD threat” until he goes to LHW. And even if he wins a belt there as Conor did at 155, his run at 185 should still remain the same if you’re being consistent.

i love how this thread turned into people bragging about all the picks they got right when literally NOBODY asked about that.
Lmao years after upsets happen everyone on Sherdog saw them coming.

People are so full of shit with they’re picks after the fact. I actually think a lot of people legitimately convince themselves they knew what was gonna happen.

Back