What was a bigger upset - Mcgregor v Diaz 1 or Holm v Rousey?

McGregor was about 4-1 betting vs Diaz. Far from an epic upset. Rousey was something like 10-1 until she looked crazy at the weigh in.

Edit: Rousey was about 15-1. After weigh ins about 8-1

Last edited:
McGregor just came off sparking Aldo plus had a full camp. Diaz had just returned from a long layoff from a contract battle and beat MJ and was vacationing in Cabo.

Ronda was running through women and had just come off knocking Bethe unconscious. Granted she had a lot of things going on with her outside of fighting and they moved her up to fight early because the ufc had lost another main even fight and they called Ronda to save the day.

I feel everything was lined up to have McGregor win while looking back there were multiple red flags that should've said Ronda was in trouble.

Holm vs Rousey. Casuals were fully on the train and people who would almost never talk to me about mma knew about Ronda. Hardcores would say she would get beat but she kept destroying girls inside a minute making them look dumb. We all know what finally happened.

Ronda vs Holm for sure, the odds were higher, and the ending was just so insane, I member taking a piss at green turtle and the dude next to me prior to the fight said well easy win for Ronda, I picked Ronda to win cus I figured she would eventually get her down and sub her, but we all knew Holly had the better striking

I’m a huge Diaz brothers fan but come on now Rhonda was the most dominant champ for years in the women’s division

Ronda/Holm might be the biggest upset odds wise in UFC history. IIRC the odds were even more skewed than GSP/Serra

Well in terms of impact on the sport clearly it's McGregor/Diaz which started a chain of events that has resulted in Nate doing something no UFC fighter has ever been able to do.

Just in terms of who was believed to be less likely to lose, it was Ronda easy. She really did look unbeatable to the naked and the comp hadn't caught up to her yet...but when it did it DID!

Rousey thanks to rogans hype

Ronda/Holly by a fairly big margin. What's funny is both losses came within less then 6 months from each other. I'm certain Dana hates thinking of that.

McGregor was about 4-1 betting vs Diaz. Far from an epic upset. Rousey was something like 10-1 until she looked crazy at the weigh in.
Good point on the weigh-in changing the odds. I remember it being drastic. I assumed Ronda would get TD and armbar and then watched that weigh-in and was legit wondering WTF she was thinking. Probably the only time in Sherdog history that someone truly was "shook" enough during a weigh-in to legitimately change the odds of the whole fight.

Back