What Submission move has become outdated and thereby easy to escape?

rxnupe04

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What submission has become the easiest to escape-either because MMA fighters have become Stronger and/or the submission manuver is outdated. I for one believe the traditional Triangle choke is easy to escape- one just has to stand up and slam his victim to the ground same way Rampage did Arona. However, I do see a few fighters extended the persons elbow whilein the Triangle. However IMO if the arm is not extended the Triangle choke is fairly easy to escape.

Arona did not hook Rampage's leg and made a very basic mistake. Normally that won't happen.

once a triangle is sunk in it is very hard to get out of.

rxnupe04 said:
What submission has become the easiest to escape-either because MMA fighters have become Stronger and/or the submission manuver is outdated. I for one believe the traditional Triangle choke is easy to escape- one just has to stand up and slam his victim to the ground same way Rampage did Arona. However, I do see a few fighters extended the persons elbow whilein the Triangle. However IMO if the arm is not extended the Triangle choke is fairly easy to escape.

Easier said than done.....Tell you what, let Nog put you in a triangle and let's see if you can escape it, since it's so easy

rxnupe04 said:

Umm.. I don't think any move can be outdated. You should always be aware of all the moves that are open to you... and that comes with experience obviously. But, some can be less popular nowadays because most fighters are aware of it.. like you said the triangle choke. I wouldn't say it's easy to escape.. especially when its sinked in. Its perhaps easier to prevent it.

StndUpJokr said:
the omoplata

If any move is "out dated" then I guess this would be it. I was just thinking today about how an omoplata isn't that tough to escape from unless it is applied very quickly.

To be honest, I don't think that there are really any outdated moves.

GoldenBoy23 said:
Umm.. I don't think any move can be outdated. You should always be aware of all the moves that are open to you... and that comes with experience obviously. But, some can be less popular nowadays because most fighters are aware of it.. like you said the triangle choke. I wouldn't say it's easy to escape.. especially when its sinked in. Its perhaps easier to prevent it.
I agree, a proper good triangle is HARD to get out of..once it is sunk well, I would say almost impossible to get out of.

But yea, prevention is the key to a triangle choke. My instructor always tells me, "both arms in, or both arms out, never just one"

rxnupe04 said:

Rampage is freakishly strong, most fighters cannot pick up an opponent of equal size like that from that position. In the rare case that a guy is that strong and assuming you don't get the leg hooked, all you have to do is open your guard. The triangle is by no means outdated and is still one of the most effective subs around.

Let me start off by saying i couldnt defend this move but i see it being applied all the time in fights and usually people get out of it a lot unless it is very tight and sunk deep but usually it isnt The Guillotine

no moves are outdated. some are just easier to escape than others

Forearm choke. I remember seeing people submit to it back in the day, and now it's like...shiiiiiit

None, depends who applies the technique on you.

if they suck ya its easy to escape, if its a fucken pro u gon get brocken

John Law said:
When almost any submission is fully sunk they are hard to get out of. And once any choke is fully sunk it's only a matter of seconds before you go unconcious.

John Law said:

That's exactly right. If you go back and review the fight, Arona was reaching for his foot to cinch up the triangle just as Rampage slammed out. If Rampage had been 1 second later he'd have been sleeping. Also, Arona was really squared up with Rampage. If he'd have been twisted at an angle more, the lock is MUCH tighter. Arona knows that, it's just hard to execute perfect all the time if people know what they're doing.

Back