What Submission move has become outdated and thereby easy to escape?

i can't believe this thread is lasting as long as it has in the grappling forum.

The point of a submission is to catch your opponent with it using a good setup. If it doesn't work, it doesn't mean its fucking out dated.

Just because you haven't seen it used in the most recent ufcs or prides doesn't mean it is not a good move, maybe the people you saw fight aren't good at those subs.

Oma plata: matt serra uses it all the time.

Triangle choke: evan tanner on robby lawler.

Ankle Lock (straight): andrei arlovski on tim sylvia

RNC: george st pierre on twinkle toes trigg.

Could go on and on, but if you really think that something is out dated, then clearly you don't train enough, or watch enough MMA fights to know the truth.

RyanCurry said:
Neck Crank

Guilotine Choke
C'mon, man! Guillotine choke? Cro cop did that to Randleman, and Alistair Overeem won 2 in a row by GC. So let(s be serious...

Canadi@nTopTeam said:
how do you hook a leg if both of your legs are wrapped around your opponent's torso in a triangle choke??

Let me see... With one hand? Damn, that was tough!

Inonyouth said:
I'd have to say the Achilles lock has become outdated. Anyone who knows anything about submission grappling will not tap and since there is no real submission besides pain its pretty much useless.

you can break an ankle with a achilles lock. dave terrell got third place in 2003 by breaking a guys ankle with it

I guess some moves were harder to escape in the past, and hence seem a better. You don't see as much neckcranks nowadays either.

When was the last time you saw a kimura from bottom guard to finish an opponent? Same goes for the omoplata. Those are my two picks...

The moves that seem to work best in MMA are RNC, guillotine, armbar, and triangle... all upperbody subs.

Moves don't get outdated...there's always counters to every move in the imagination...applying them in spite of this is where heart and intelligence come into play.

I have a wicked triangle choke, so it's definitely NOT a submission that has gotten outdated! :)

sharpshooter, (joke) maybe the can opener, haven't seen that in a while. crucifix anybody seen that in a while?

Omaplata since it's very hard to pull off in MMA, and relatively easy to escape if you're slippery.
Can Opener since any decent opponent would armbar your ass if you tried it. (Some people are fairly good at using it as a means of breaking the guard though)

The only move that I can even think of that kind of falls into this catagory is a side headlock (which isn't even a sub but is grappling) - and by that I don't mean a bulldog choke.

Anyone with grappling training won't be held in a headlock for long, but this isn't anything new.

actually i think all punching is outdated and easy to escape as well.... all i have to do is watch him try to punch me and then move out of the way

bret_vs_sting3.jpg
- Out dated submissions

I haven't seen a can-opener work since pride 10

nog almost nailed ricco with a kimura from guard

werdum almost got a kimura from guard on lindland (but took his back instead)

it's probably more the setups that get old, not the moves themselves

Bret Hart is a bad-ass though. He was nationally ranked as a high school student in Canada though I don't believe he wrestled in high school...some kind of rebellion against his dad who wanted him to be an Olympian.

flyingknee16 said:
When was the last time you saw a kimura from bottom guard to finish an opponent?

i recall marcelo garcia tapping to one quite recently

Omoplata, u don't see that much in MMA, but I think it's good to keep it in mind. I've gotten people with that rolling.

None are outdated, this is a bit weird. I suppose guilotines occur less because people are more cautious about the choke, if that answers your question. But then again.. a certain man called Overeem is making them popular again.

Back