Opinion What percentage of people would press a Doomsday Button?

What % of people would press the button?

• 0-1 %

• 1-5 %

• 5-10 %

• 10-25 %

• 25-50 %

• 50-75 %

• More than 75%

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's amazing how easily led some of you guys are by the MSM.

Really? A term you just learned about 6 months ago is suddenly an existential threat to all of humanity because one guy drove a van into a crowd?

Useful idiots.

I'm much more concerned about people like you and how quickly you will don the brown shirt when shit hits the fan to take out the big, scary bad guys whatever leader you're following tells you are a threat at that time.

I think he was just joking, but I agree with you about MSM's overplaying this whole invented incel thing. It's like Westboro being representative of anything when out of 2.3 billion people it is a 40 member church or something like that. These are basically click-bait entities.

Am I guaranteed to live and would the remaining world be worth living in? Asking for a friend...

Keep in mind 0.001% is 1 out of 100,000. With 7 billion people alive, there would still be 70,000 humans left. Might be low numbers to repopulate the earth, but it's not implausibly low.

Like, anyone for any reason?

Its probably higher than you'd think. Lots of crazies out there.

Am I guaranteed to live and would the remaining world be worth living in? Asking for a friend...

Keep in mind 0.001% is 1 out of 100,000. With 7 billion people alive, there would still be 70,000 humans left. Might be low numbers to repopulate the earth, but it's not implausibly low.
Do you think that would change the answer for anyone? I don't think it would make much of a difference, but maybe a tiny one.

I wouldnt push it and I have no clue what anyone else would do.

Glad you brought that up. This is really easy and impersonal compared to an act of terror or a massacre. I think that makes a big difference. I also think it's possible that more people would press a doomsday button than press a button that kills one specific good person.

If the question is, how many would follow through when the time comes? I would say less than 1%.

I think it depends on a couple of factors. The basic psychological makeup of the person, some sort of ideological context, and whether not they believe they or someone/something they care about would survive.

Do you think that would change the answer for anyone? I don't think it would make much of a difference, but maybe a tiny one.
I was getting at whether there was self interest in pushing the button. Most people wouldn't do it if they had a .001% chance of living, that would limit the discussion to only the suicidal.

But if someone thought they'd have a better life after the bomb, that's a different question. We've fought wars and dropped bombs for that already so this just looks like an extension of that idea.

What percentage of the population become mass/active shooters or suicide bombers?

I feel it's that same blatant disregard of human life that would result in a person knowingly hitting this button
the difference is the button takes the effort out of it.

i wanna guess ~1/3000 people in first world countries would say fuckitall

If you could guarantee I'd survive I might as I've always fancied having a go in a post apocalyptic world, seems a lot of fun.

I'm sure it would be very tempting, just sitting there, so easy...

giphy.gif

What percentage of the population become mass/active shooters or suicide bombers?

I feel it's that same blatant disregard of human life that would result in a person knowingly hitting this button
I think this is probably pretty accurate if we focus on the portion of these shooters who also commit suicide after they've done whatever horrible thing they set out to do. Being unhappy with the world, fucking it up and checking out seems like the same scenario to me. I'm not sure if the ease of pressing the button brings that number up or not. Many of these people pick soft targets because they're easy in the first place, so my instinct is to the think the effort involved is less important than we might expect.

Back