Elections Trudeau: from darling to dud — the liberal leader is facing election destruction in ‘25

You know, I am happy to say that I think Canadians are starting to wake up to the perverse incentive structure that has been built up around our media. Whether you like the guy or not, if your head isn't up your ass, you recognize that recently the media absolutely shits on Conservatives more broadly and PP in particular. You might think it's just "oh, he's such a bad guy!" but he's a guy who has never held power and has no track record to his name, yet somehow he seems to get more intensive negative scrutiny than the guy who has been leading for eight years and has overseen a rolling series of train wrecks in Canada. You might think that it's generally left-leaning bias in journalists and I'm sure that plays a role, but it all makes sense when you consider that the guy has been very clear that he wants to defund the CBC, and Canadian media more broadly in generally.

What's the effect of this? PP's position that he's publicly stated - and, so far, he is far from releasing a full policy platform, but he's almost two years out from an election - is that he wants to make sure a majority of these journalists lose their jobs. This isn't just some unpopular policy position for them - they're in a position of "write to support the Liberals" or "join Rachel Gilmore making tiktok videos while playing-pretend at journalism." The simple reality is that Canadian journalism at large isn't bringing in much revenue, and the CBC in particular is state-funded media that costs Canadians to the tune of 1.2 billion in a year so they can push shit that fewer and fewer people actually like watching/listening to - with a side order of pushing candidates that agree to fund them.

People oftentimes yak about things being bad for democracy, but you want to know what is actually, honest to god, bad for democracy in Canada? Create an incentive structure where the people who report the news only get to keep getting paid if they subtly - and sometimes not so subtly - push one of the country's major parties over another... And that's exactly where we're at in Canada. There doesn't need to be orders from any particular party to report with a bias - but reporters are given the decision of writing positive and negatives pieces on one figure who says "I'm going to give you billions whether your reporting actually interests Canadians to the tune of billions" versus one guy who says "I'm going to cut your funding and let you sink or float on your own merits." When they get through giving themselves Canadian media awards and actually do they math, they quickly figure out that relying on their own merits will leave them unemployed in short order... And they have been reporting with exactly the bias you'd expect from someone whose job is on the line - and they're doing it with the effect of influencing Canadian elections. Again, you want to see an actual threat to Canadian democracy? This is it, and the people who are supposed to be whistleblowers on such things are the ones doing it.

You know, I am happy to say that I think Canadians are starting to wake up to the perverse incentive structure that has been built up around our media. Whether you like the guy or not, if your head isn't up your ass, you recognize that recently the media absolutely shits on Conservatives more broadly and PP in particular. You might think it's just "oh, he's such a bad guy!" but he's a guy who has never held power and has no track record to his name, yet somehow he seems to get more intensive negative scrutiny than the guy who has been leading for eight years and has overseen a rolling series of train wrecks in Canada. You might think that it's generally left-leaning bias in journalists and I'm sure that plays a role, but it all makes sense when you consider that the guy has been very clear that he wants to defund the CBC, and Canadian media more broadly in generally.

What's the effect of this? PP's position that he's publicly stated - and, so far, he is far from releasing a full policy platform, but he's almost two years out from an election - is that he wants to make sure a majority of these journalists lose their jobs. This isn't just some unpopular policy position for them - they're in a position of "write to support the Liberals" or "join Rachel Gilmore making tiktok videos while playing-pretend at journalism." The simple reality is that Canadian journalism at large isn't bringing in much revenue, and the CBC in particular is state-funded media that costs Canadians to the tune of 1.2 billion in a year so they can push shit that fewer and fewer people actually like watching/listening to - with a side order of pushing candidates that agree to fund them.

People oftentimes yak about things being bad for democracy, but you want to know what is actually, honest to god, bad for democracy in Canada? Create an incentive structure where the people who report the news only get to keep getting paid if they subtly - and sometimes not so subtly - push one of the country's major parties over another... And that's exactly where we're at in Canada. There doesn't need to be orders from any particular party to report with a bias - but reporters are given the decision of writing positive and negatives pieces on one figure who says "I'm going to give you billions whether your reporting actually interests Canadians to the tune of billions" versus one guy who says "I'm going to cut your funding and let you sink or float on your own merits." When they get through giving themselves Canadian media awards and actually do they math, they quickly figure out that relying on their own merits will leave them unemployed in short order... And they have been reporting with exactly the bias you'd expect from someone whose job is on the line - and they're doing it with the effect of influencing Canadian elections. Again, you want to see an actual threat to Canadian democracy? This is it, and the people who are supposed to be whistleblowers on such things are the ones doing it.

It's pathetic and should be illegal. He actually bragged about buying the media, that shit goes on in Russia shouldnt happen here....and then again he said he admires dictators so not surprising.

It's pathetic and should be illegal. He actually bragged about buying the media, that shit goes on in Russia shouldnt happen here....and then again he said he admires dictators so not surprising.
Watching the citizenry - including some of the more ball-washing posters here - cover for an incentive structure where our media actually pushes the needle on elections to save their jobs is stomach turning. Part of why the current leadership is so troubling - it has actively turned Canadians against each other to cover for its own malfeasance, and it essentially funds media coverage so it gets glossed over.

He literally wore blackface multiple times and still won. He will win again and it won't be close.
Trudeau has been consistently hemorraging voters over the past 2 elections. Conservatives got more votes in both, but the system is what it is.

The only reason they hold power now is because they share it with the NDP. The NDP is getting taken advantage of soooo badly in the relationship however to the detriment of the majority of Canadian's.

Trudeau is getting called on all of his lies and corruption by the Cons and somehow people still think Poilievre is Trump Jr and Trudeau is the safer bet. It blows me away that people can't vote with their heads. All the Libs seem to have to do at election time is stoke fear in Canadians that there will be guns on the street, no access to abortion and LGTBQ2+ rights will be under fire. None of these are actual possibilities of course, but it hits home with the bleeding hearts.

We will be spending more $ on servicing the debt than we do on health care. We need a PM that can run a fucking country, not focus soley on himself and his ego.

Trudeau has been consistently hemorraging voters over the past 2 elections. Conservatives got more votes in both, but the system is what it is.

The only reason they hold power now is because they share it with the NDP. The NDP is getting taken advantage of soooo badly in the relationship however to the detriment of the majority of Canadian's.

Trudeau is getting called on all of his lies and corruption by the Cons and somehow people still think Poilievre is Trump Jr and Trudeau is the safer bet. It blows me away that people can't vote with their heads. All the Libs seem to have to do at election time is stoke fear in Canadians that there will be guns on the street, no access to abortion and LGTBQ2+ rights will be under fire. None of these are actual possibilities of course, but it hits home with the bleeding hearts.

We will be spending more $ on servicing the debt than we do on health care. We need a PM that can run a fucking country, not focus soley on himself and his ego.

That's why i like P.P. he calls Trudeau out on all his lies and BS. Scheer before him was too easy on Trudeau as he wanted more of a "positive" campaign however with all Trudumbs f-ups he missed a penalty shot with an empty net. now Trudeau is calling conservative followers maga followers which is just crap while making themselves "self righteous"

Someone said something about a pendulum, and that’s pretty much it. But Pierre still has a chance to screw this up in the next year. We will see him tone in down in the coming months. He will have been told by his team to shut his mouth.

Dont get too excited, my right wing Canadian friends. His opposition is basically a moderate Democratic party. You have nothing to look forward to.

It's going to be funny when campaigning starts and people find out Pierre's bio. He is the polar opposite of Trudeau. Given up at birth, raised by school teachers, married to an immigrant and his father is gay.
Yet he still voted against gay marriage. He's a pos.

Dont get too excited, my right wing Canadian friends. His opposition is basically a moderate Democratic party. You have nothing to look forward to.

really ? why is he being called a MAGA conservative then? I'm sure Trudeau will call him a racist also as that's his #1 play in his playbook.

really ? why is he being called a MAGA conservative then? I'm sure Trudeau will call him a racist also as that's his #1 play in his playbook.
A Canadian candidate is being called MAGA? I guess that's how little this election matters if I wasn't aware of it

Someone said something about a pendulum, and that’s pretty much it. But Pierre still has a chance to screw this up in the next year. We will see him tone in down in the coming months. He will have been told by his team to shut his mouth.
You can't really think Pierre has a team of handlers. He's running the show and the Cons have broken fundraising records under him. He is the leader.

Good, he's one of the worst western leaders currently.

Good

We'll see how captured NZs new government is and whether there is q criminal investigation into their WEF puppet. If so Canada's pos may also have treason in his future

You can't really think Pierre has a team of handlers. He's running the show and the Cons have broken fundraising records under him. He is the leader.
Of course he does. You think he got rid of the glasses all on his own? That will fool em!

Well, if he blows this lead, or doesn’t win in a landslide, he is to blame solely I guess.

On another note, Canada keeps scoring near the top of all the lists like best country, most liveable, most economically stable. I guess if the cons take over, they can take credit for that. People are just blowing things out of proportion. Let’s see if it holds until the election, or if they peaked too soon.

Back