What makes fighters like the REEM and Weidman keep going?

suhdude

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Sometimes no matter how hard you try, the odds are stacked against you. I don't know if the Reem or Weidman are people to be admired, because they got brain damage, but if anything you have to admire their tenacity. The tenacity to go day in and day out, and compete in something they love, even though they are victims of the new breed of fighters and terrible UFC refs.

Thank you

In the case of Overeem, about 800,000 dollars worth of reasons.

All he has done in his life too.

Y72ndQ7.gif

money, and the fact that pride is a bitch. guys like weidman can't let go of the past, he was unbeaten for a long time and grabbed the belt and can't accept the fact that things have changed since then.

I think Reems been fighting since 18

Im guessing Its in his blood and hard to quit, the money doesn't hurt.

Hell BJ Penn still can't call it quites and panhandlers are tko'ing him in unsanctioned fights

Same reason you keep posting threads after getting figuratively KOd for stupidity.

The love of the game.

Not a fighter (yet), but there are certain pieces of fiction that I want to create more than I want almost anything else. I'd be willing to get life altering brain damage at age 50 if that's what it took.

I imagine that's what Reem feels about the UFC belt.

well Reem is one of the highest paid fighters, i don't know why but he is.

Heres a actual answer.

A sense of what once was and wanting that feeling back again so badly you will fool yourself into believing it is regainable.

Reem gets like 800k per fight

That's why

These guys literally paid to fight when they were younger. Now they're getting paid to do it. People need to realize that pro athletes or artists, w/e do what they love to do and get paid for it. That's why i don't understand why sherdoggers always try to compare what these guys do to their own burger flipping jobs. Its not a job. Its much more than that. Do any of you play sports? Most of non pros pay to play.

It's not about winning or being the best. It's about getting in there. Having something to look forward to. A goal. It makes you feel alive. Sure they're sticking around too long but that's why they do it.

money and ego

It's all they know

And they also don't wanna leave on a low note.

Because they love wearing that free Reebok gear...
36510CAD-EF11-45F4-BE1B-AD54387DAB62.jpeg
A4A638EB-94E7-41FE-8422-C9C00D965DCD.jpeg
38882A18-32AC-400E-93A0-09C94EBA0B9B.jpeg
02D2282E-BEB5-493B-A529-6C261AE0A527.jpeg

Several reasons:

1) The buzz you get from competing live, in a fucking cage, in front of thousands of people live and millions world wide cannot be replaced by finding a new hobby like knitting.

2) Fighting is all most of these dudes know. It's their job. It's how they earn a living. If they're being offered employment, why would they stop?

3) There's always the what if... What if they can get back to where they were?

Not a fighter (yet), but there are certain pieces of fiction that I want to create more than I want almost anything else. I'd be willing to get life altering brain damage at age 50 if that's what it took.

I imagine that's what Reem feels about the UFC belt.

Unless you're some sort of super high tier troll, that has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in Sherdog.

Back