1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

What is the worst job/s you've ever had?!

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by ironmansnap, Oct 12, 2021.

1. koquerelle Silver Belt

Ice cream truck for a whole summer. That's the year I decided I didn't want children (not a joke).

Vil7, Moin, ThulsaDooom and 2 others like this.
  2. crabmeat Brown Belt

Surface warfare has been spiraling out of control for a long time.

Canned Tuna likes this.
  3. llperez22 Silver Belt

door to door sales. I lasted 4 days of doing 12 hour shifts selling labor law posters to businesses which all business are technically required by law to have. The days started with some group brain washing. Then we were sent out in small groups/pairs to areas with high numbers of businesses and went from business to business trying to act official and ask to see their labor law posters to make sure they were up to date and try to get them to buy them off us. It was a solid stream of either "fuck off" or " give me your card and ill give it to my boss when hes in". Then after full day of that, we went back to office and finished with some more brainwashing so we could feed the pyramid scheme business model while we made nothing outside of commission for our sales.

I had always done blue collar labor work previously and thought it might be nice to try something less back breaking. Give me an honest days pay for an honest days work where you dont feel like a pest to society any day. Door to door sales is truly some soul crushing type shit.

4. The Eagle Purple Belt

Busboy at a restaurant. Worked 14 hour shift and was paid 80$ for it. On top of that the manager wanted to charge me 20$ for a shirt that I had to wear at work. Didn't return the next day.

5. Mike Retired

I've done a lot of carnie work all over the country. Two stick out. The call center job I had for a few years. Talking on the phone all day is mentally draining to me, and having people talk crazy to you that you can't grab by the throat drove me nuts.

Other one is my current job. Warehouse work for what is supposed to be 40 hours a week, but is usually 50 to 60 with no idea how long you'll be working each shift. Also, most of the people working there are retards or assholes or both.

M.U.S.C.L.E., Moin, Solid and 2 others like this.
  6. cincymma79 Gold Belt

Navy. I could breakdown parts that sucked more than others but overall it was just shit

Other than that every job I had delivered what it promised.

7. kahiljabroni Red Belt

Toughen the fuck up. I washed dishes at 14 years old about 25 hours a week. Try doing insulation. Crawling through attics of rat feces and being bathed in fiberglass in 95 and 15 degree weather

8. Bia Green Belt

worked in recycling plant, we had to wear 3x layers of protections including gloves so moving & seeing is cumbersome. Wasn't too bad indoor but when they ask you to sweep the floor outside in the sun with flies buzzing around your face, it's pretty shit.

9. Horus Banned Banned

That sounds tough. Especially for guys that do it long term.

No wonder some guys develop a massive drive to be champions.

sweetviolenturg likes this.
  10. Horus Banned Banned

1. Plant operator on a gravel crushing plant. Controlling a conveyor belt of rocks going into a machine crushing them into smaller rocks. Efficient ongoing speed of feed and preventing fixing jams was of utmost importance.

12-14 hour days. Had no social life. Hot. So dirty that I would look like I was in blackface by the end of the day. Also loud (even with hearing protection) and I think I damaged some hearing on that job.
    Also boring beyond belief. A bit like a gulag without the beatings...for $7 an hour in the early 90s

2. Police officer

Moin likes this.
  11. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

That shit sucks so bad. I worked on the floor at a restaurant in high school (busser then server) and the unpredictable schedule was the only thing I didn't like about it. Not knowing if/when you'll get cut and only knowing the schedule two weeks in advance sucked.

Mike likes this.
  12. ithinktheymad Red Belt

13. ithinktheymad Red Belt

When you're girthy they're all toothy.

Zinger and Luke Hand Cool like this.
  14. crabmeat Brown Belt

[​IMG]

15. Horus Banned Banned

Yes similar set up to that. You're giving me flashbacks lol

crabmeat likes this.
  16. Smokes Red Belt

Selling Insurance. It was the exact same conversation over and over with the same dam people everyday. People that I had to deal with were always on a bad day cause their car got hit or they hits something. Or their house got flooded and they don't have flood ins and still expect to get help. Yrs of sitting down for 10hrs a days dealing with people's problems. I loved it when I could help and I feel good about it and they still fuck that up by bitching about the bill going up after they filed a claim. I hate that shit.

People coming in and looking dead at me and start off with "Why did YOU raise my bill!". Lik I am in the system fucking with them and raising their bill. 'First of all, I didn't raise your bill, they did it, now if you give your account number I could look and see why THEY raised your bill and see if there is anything I can do to get it back down to where it was. " Every Dam time

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Vil7 and Clementine like this.
  17. Mike Retired

Yeah I'll work whatever I agreed to, and even whatever is needed within reason. But coming in 2 hours early and leaving 2 or 3 hours late with no notice is rough.

Horus and Canned Tuna like this.
  18. Hitman81 Silver Belt

I liked the Navy for the most part. Only thing I really disliked was after being out to sea for days, weeks, months, whatever, and then being in port and the Chief or first class forcing you to work until like 5 or 6 pm (and by work I mean sitting around or sweeping or painting bulkheads) just because. When you're at sea, fine, there's nowhere to go. But fuck man when you're in port fuck that shit.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  19. RogerB08 Red Belt

Call center rep. Fuck, I don't even talk to my friends on the phone so I sure a hell didn't want spend all day doing it with strangers.

Moin and Clementine like this.
  20. Canned Tuna Silver Belt

I spent 2.5 years in training, 2 years in shipyard, and 1.5 years working up to the ship's first deployment after overhaul. What you just described was a huge portion of my time in. I only got about 5 or 6 months cumulative sea time, so a lot of time wasted in port. I didn't do any painting, but still, a LOT of time wasted.

Edit: don't get me wrong, there are a ton of things I liked about the Navy. The amount of time spent away from the family (especially in port like you said) was just totally unacceptable for me.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021