What is the worst job/s you've ever had?!

The box factory when I was at university, glueing and folding plain cardboard boxes. One day I did 2000 pizza boxes, oh and the owner banned the radio.

Banned the radio? So you had to work in silence? Why?

Wouldn't workers actually be less efficient if there was no music and people started talking and getting engrossed in conversations?

Crimping pasties in a factory when I was 16 to make ends meet.

Fucking horrible job, safe to say I didn't stay long. You only got one 15 minute break to eat a "free" pasty. You're standing up crimping from 6am to 5pm, sometimes to 6pm, 5 days a week. Garbage.

Edit: The factory was run by Polish, so you couldn't understand what the bosses were saying either.

Last edited:
For about 6 months in 2003 I worked at a dollar store in one of the shittiest parts of town. Majority of the clientele were crackheads, mentally ill folks and mentally ill crackheads. They would routinely come in to steal shit off the shelves. Now I was never going to risk my own safety over a twix bar and a can of soda but it didn’t matter. These guys would come in and pull knives on you or used hypodermic needles all the time. I have no clue why I stayed their for 6 months.

Oh sorry, didn’t know. But honestly, I’d be surprised if anyone said anything to him. The grocery store has a guy with Down syndrome that works there. He seems really happy. Totally different scenario though. It really is a messed up world if someone says something to him.
Thanks, Man. No one has yet... but eventually it will happen. And when it does, I'll be there for him to let him know just how incredible he is. And give whoever disrespected my son a lesson in manners, whatever that may look life.

My goal is to minimize that possibility as much as I can. Working a paying job would allow ignorant people access to him. Since he won't ever need money, I'm going to get him trained as an athlete so he can can compete in the Special Olympics and also get him connected to Organizations so that he could be an ambassador and hold a position there.

In the meantime, he will be living his best life. He loves Halloween, so we're going to Salem shortly. He loves Disney, so we're going to Disneyland. He loves football, so we're going to an NFL game..

Banned the radio? So you had to work in silence? Why?

Wouldn't workers actually be less efficient if there was no music and people started talking and getting engrossed in conversations?

I can't quite remember why, there was some dispute between the owner and one of the other guys so he punished us all. (Wasn't like that the whole time, but the 2000 pizza box day it was)

We were all stoned anyway so probably not all that productive ha ha

I've done a lot of carnie work all over the country. Two stick out. The call center job I had for a few years. Talking on the phone all day is mentally draining to me, and having people talk crazy to you that you can't grab by the throat drove me nuts.

My current job, which I thought would be the dream job, is basically 60% making calls and I fucking hate it. We have to ring the same people every WEEK and you can imagine how fun those phone calls are. I hate it. It’s also stupid. With every phone call I’m supposed to be selling a $130 package for a photo shoot that hasn’t even been shot yet.

Worst job was at Safeway tho. I worked in the office counting the money and doing the daily deposits and cash. The job itself was fine. But the management was disgusting. They never treated me poorly but I seen them do so to everybody else. Yelling at a cashier on the floor in front of customers, insulting other employees below them to their face or passive aggressively ten feet away to other managers, and other high school things. Also I noticed on the staff room that if you went a year without injury you earned a $5 lunch. I didn’t like what that said about the company itself. Maybe I have a low tolerance for shitty people and this is just regular work environments, but I wasn’t having it. Gone in two days.

For me it was dishwasher at a middle range restaurant (lets say Chilis or Fridays type of restaurant) I only lasted for 2 days because I quit...f that! However I have to say I was kinda spoiled because didnt grow up poor, not rich either but lets just say I never had to do physical jobs to make a living, and dishwasher was a physical job for me, and dealing with cleaning all that shit that people leave on their plates... hardest part for me was cleaning the mats of the kitchen though and just dealing overall with all the shit that is a restaurant kitchen at the end of the day... too much shit I guess... I understand and respect people who do that work.

Lifeguard at a gym that was exclusive for HQ employees only (HQ was like 12 offices with over 10,000 employees). Normally lifeguard is a great job for younger people (easy way to make friends, lots of after work events, female co-workers are usually in shape highschool/college swimmers, 30 minutes or so on stand then break, can transition to other skills like private swim lesson instructor or coaching the swim team).

This job was only one employee at a time (no breaks) and the only pool was a small indoor lap pool. Literally all you did was stare at the maybe 1 or 2 people who swam laps and that's it. No real co-workers, no work events, no avenue to do anything else (coaching, shift lead/supervisor, swim lessons).

Only reason they even had a lifeguard was 2 people had heart failure which resulted in drowning both within 3 years of the facility opening. Liability insurance for the building basically told them "either you staff someone at the pool or you won't have liability insurance"

My current job, which I thought would be the dream job, is basically 60% making calls and I fucking hate it. We have to ring the same people every WEEK and you can imagine how fun those phone calls are. I hate it. It’s also stupid. With every phone call I’m supposed to be selling a $130 package for a photo shoot that hasn’t even been shot yet.

Worst job was at Safeway tho. I worked in the office counting the money and doing the daily deposits and cash. The job itself was fine. But the management was disgusting. They never treated me poorly but I seen them do so to everybody else. Yelling at a cashier on the floor in front of customers, insulting other employees below them to their face or passive aggressively ten feet away to other managers, and other high school things. Also I noticed on the staff room that if you went a year without injury you earned a $5 lunch. I didn’t like what that said about the company itself. Maybe I have a low tolerance for shitty people and this is just regular work environments, but I wasn’t having it. Gone in two days.

I did route sales. Lots of my accounts were grocery chains. Most of the management were absolute assholes. Like you said, I saw them treat employees like shit. They always tried passive aggressive shit to vendors, so they could feel in absolute control, because you were on their turf. Most were shitheads fresh out of college, or stuck there for life. The exception tended to be Publix. I think lots of it has to do with the fact that they prefer to promote from within.

Student dorm common area cleaner when I was a student. Shit pay, weekend up at 5am to start. After the big parties there would be vomit all over the bar floor.

Thankfully didn’t have to do the toilets…

that was really fucking depressing and don’t know how I managed to do it for a whole term.

This is literally the 'you sound poor thread'.

I remember when I first started as a trainee on basically minimum wage in 1991, I tried cleaning our work building (with the contractors) to supplement my pay. One night of lugging a vacuum on my back, sucking up the tiny bits of paper, or staples was enough for me. I've had some not so fun jobs but nothing compared to others ITT.

Nothing physically difficult but very mentally frustrating and a big reason why I'm kind of cynical and hate most people to this day.

13 years old, delivering newspapers 7 days a week and had 15 to 20 customers I had to personally collect sub money from every month. About half were nice and sometimes threw in a small bonus but the others were total deadbeats. How much of a piece of shit do you need to be to lie to a 13 year old and not have $10 on you. I could see and hear your TV so just open the goddamn door.

In university, I was a shift manager for a pizza and sub place. Most of the people I was in charge of were cool but some were lazy, high all the time, and/or smelled pretty bad if you were next to them. Had to make nightly deposits in an area known for stick-ups but thankfully nothing happened. Customers are the worst part though. Getting cursed out on the phone or to my face because some genetic mistake was upset was not worth that pay. A positive bonus was giving a lift home to some co-workers meant they'd pick up some booze for me, my GM sold me cheap weed and didn't care if I took some food home every couple of nights. My friends/roommates ate and drank well those nights.

I worked in toy store during christmas when I was a teenager. My job was to avoid people stealing stuff. Incredibly boring.

My first office work was in a pretty shitty place too. I think I lasted 6 months there before I left.

When I was first staying with my buddy after the divorce, I worked at a Safeway for a month or two. Made shit for money of course, and it was maybe the worst I've ever been treated at a job. To this day I wonder if my boss was racist because she hated my guts from day one for no apparent reason.

When I was in High School I worked at a nursing home doing laundry. Mainly sheets and towels. Now in a nursing home you don't shake the farts out of the sheets... I'd wear gloves that covered the arms and a rubber apron that went up to you neck. It was gross and I felt bad for the people living there. Also you'd collect their personal laundry and send it out and deliver it the following week. A lot of times you'd deliver it and find out that the person died in the week their laundry was out. Being 16 years old and surrounded by death wasn't fun.

Back