Crime What is the thought process behind unattended guns in gloveboxes?

gotBooched

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I strongly support the right to own a gun.

but I also strongly believe if you are negligent with your gun and it is stolen from your unlocked vehicle you are not a victim and in fact are contributing to gun violence.

People that believe in absolutely zero gun restrictions - what is the rationale here that you are the victim?

I just reviewed CCTV footage of three handguns stolen from vehicles in a single parking lot. There were four kids - they came in on two bikes and were in and out in under one minute.

I’m not trolling one bit. Sincerely wish to know why this is not only ok but some people think the gun owner is actually the victim. They treat the gun like it’s a laptop.

The person doing the theft is always the one at fault. The only place you should not leave you gun is where it could be accidentally accessed by small children who don't know any better. If someone breaks into your car, even unlocked, that's on them. People these days want to blame everyone except the criminals.

Here’s a crazy thing to consider, there are many ways to kill someone without a gun. Mind blowing I know.

here’s another crazy idea, how about instead of making guns illegal, we make committing crime with guns illegal?
<Y2JSmirk>

The person doing the theft is always the one at fault. The only place you should not leave you gun is where it could be accidentally accessed by small children who don't know any better. If someone breaks into your car, even unlocked, that's on them. People these days want to blame everyone except the criminals.
This.

Its no different than If you keep your guns in a freaking safe at home and they get stolen.

The people breaking into a car are at fault. Not the gun owner.

I also strongly believe if you are negligent with your gun and it is stolen from your unlocked vehicle you are not a victim and in fact are contributing to gun violence.

That's almost as bad as, "see how short her skirt was, she asked for it". It's the same line of thinking.

No, I am not responsible if my legally owned gun is stolen from my legally bought and locked car by criminals.

Consider this also, if you were to make a law like this, you disincentivize reporting stolen firearms. Why would I risk reporting a gun theft if the police are just going to start investigating and possibly charging me over it? That's probably half the point of shitty policy proposals like this: there are 2 way to get crime rates down. 1 is to stop crime. 2 is to convince people to stop reporting crimes. I think Dems are trying to go with route 2.

That's almost as bad as, "see how short her skirt was, she asked for it". It's the same line of thinking.

Even worse. He isn't just placing moral blame on the person, he is suggesting criminal blame. Its like those backward countries where rape victims are also charged with infidelity or some shit. Criminalizing being a victim.

This.

Its no different than If you keep your guns in a freaking safe at home and they get stolen.

The people breaking into a car are at fault. Not the gun owner.

Yes and no. Owning guns comes with a rather large responsibility. It's not an ordinary tool. It comes down to the laws. If it's legal to store your gun in your car in a glove box, then there's no fault to the owner. If it ain't, and some fuckhead takes it commits crimes with it, the owner bears some responsibility for what happens with the gun that they didn't store properly.

I strongly support the right to own a gun. but I also strongly believe if you are negligent with your gun and it is stolen from your unlocked vehicle you are not a victim and in fact are contributing to gun violence.
People that believe in absolutely zero gun restrictions - what is the rationale here that you are the victim? I just reviewed CCTV footage of three handguns stolen from vehicles in a single parking lot. There were four kids - they came in on two bikes and were in and out in under one minute.
I’m not trolling one bit. Sincerely wish to know why this is not only ok but some people think the gun owner is actually the victim. They treat the gun like it’s a laptop.

"I'm not trolling one bit"
giphy.gif

Also, nobody thinks there should "absolutely zero gun restrictions". There are thousands of laws
pertaining to owning and using them already in the US, little buddy. And many places actually
require you to leave firearms in your car. Used to be that way here in Arizona.

Last edited:
Don’t have much to add because I don’t leave firearms or any other valuable in my vehicle. Don’t lock them either, never have. If they want to get in there I’d rather they not break a window to do so.

Consider this also, if you were to make a law like this, you disincentivize reporting stolen firearms. Why would I risk reporting a gun theft if the police are just going to start investigating and possibly charging me over it? That's probably half the point of shitty policy proposals like this: there are 2 way to get crime rates down. 1 is to stop crime. 2 is to convince people to stop reporting crimes. I think Dems are trying to go with route 2.
I don't think its something sinister like that, just anti-gun folks not thinking through the consequences of the laws they want to pass.

Making it a crime to be the victim of a robbery is a fresh take.

Do you also think women should be arrested for getting raped if their dress was too short?
Is it really too bothersome to read the posts in the thread before posting yourself?

I believe in absolutely no gun restrictions.

As for what you're talking about - it's basic negligent behavior. And if someone is killed by those guns, the gun owner should share in the liability.

A person can be a victim and negligent at the same time.

I do think you should be required to bring you gun inside. To easy to steal in a car. At the same time though you make that law and people stop reporting gun theft.

I think it’s laziness. Should a person be able to have a gun in their car without someone breaking in and stealing it? Yes, of course, but that is not the world we live in.

I strongly support the right to own a gun.

but I also strongly believe if you are negligent with your gun and it is stolen from your unlocked vehicle you are not a victim and in fact are contributing to gun violence.

People that believe in absolutely zero gun restrictions - what is the rationale here that you are the victim?

I just reviewed CCTV footage of three handguns stolen from vehicles in a single parking lot. There were four kids - they came in on two bikes and were in and out in under one minute.

I would never leave a gun in a vehicle... It's just bad practice ... Either on your person or in a safe...

Last edited:
Back