Movies What is the scariest movie you have ever seen?

I haven't seen The Road tbh bro but would highly recommend Threads. It's about as bleak as a film can get
Compared to 2020 tho?

The Road is amazing by the way. They leave out the most fucked up thing in the book, but it's really well done. I remember finishing the book and literally feeling empty for a week.

Compared to 2020 tho?

The Road is amazing by the way. They leave out the most fucked up thing in the book, but it's really well done. I remember finishing the book and literally feeling empty for a week.

I have the book in a pile somewhere but I didn't get into my first Cormac McCarthy book (Blood Meridian). Maybe I'll give the movie a try

Compared to 2020 tho?

After reading the book I decided I didn't have any interest in watching the movie. Too bleak.

Compared to 2020 tho?

After reading the book I decided I didn't have any interest in watching the movie. Too bleak.

Ooh, this is definitely going on the list.

Lol I recommended the movie to my sister and she still gets mad about it lol. It made her sob for like twenty minutes.

When I got that one part in the book... You know which one, I had to put it down for a bit. Jesus that book is dark.
Ooh, this is definitely going on the list.
Let me know what you think of it. It's one of my favorites.

Yeah, it certainly is. LOL.

4 hours spent sketching Emmanuelle Beart's bottom to voodoo splinter though the eye.

You inspired me to pickup the recent Arrow version of Fulci's City of the Dead, a good example again of a 4K scan(even if "only" on BR) working well for a scuzzy film. Bit of a mixed bag IMHO but I think what actually works best isn't the infamous gore stuff vomiting up internal organs or drills though the head its the lovecraftian dread suspense. Don't think it really brings it all towards amazingly well but certainly some very well done scenes there, especially the underground zombies at the end.

Last edited:
MV5BZjNmNTM5M2YtYjMxMC00MjUzLWIzYjUtOTEyOGEzMWIwOTAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY500_CR0,0,741,500_AL_.jpg

lets see which one of you old farts has seen it.

Jaws.

I swear, when I was a kid, just being in a swimming pool would send shivers down my spine cause of that movie. Hell, just last year I was swimming in a beach in St. Thomas and had this odd feeling like a shark was gonna pop outta the damn water. That film was effective as all hell in instilling fear, even all these years later.

Exorcist was pretty good, so was Halloween when I was a kid, but I out grew those. Jaws can still do it when I'm near water.

4 hours spent sketching Emmanuelle Beart's bottom to voodoo splinter though the eye.

You inspired me to pickup the recent Arrow version of Fulci's City of the Dead, a good example again of a 4K scan(even if "only" on BR) working well for a scuzzy film. Bit of a mixed bag IMHO but I think what actually works best isn't the infamous gore stuff vomiting up internal organs or drills though the head its the lovecraftian dread suspense. Don't think it really brings it all towards amazingly well but certainly some very well done scenes there, especially the underground zombies at the end.

Other than ZOMBIE ( though even it had the thinnest of plots ) there aren't many of Fulci's films that make much narrative sense but damn could he come up with some great set pieces. CITY OF THE DEAD & THE BEYOND are full of them. And even a lesser film like HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY has a few. If he'd just worked with some good writers he'd have made some magnificent movies.

And, yes, his films are often filled with an atmosphere of dread & impending doom. He was great at that.

Do you sketch too? You really should show us some of them if that's the case. I'd like to see more photos too.

MV5BZjNmNTM5M2YtYjMxMC00MjUzLWIzYjUtOTEyOGEzMWIwOTAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY500_CR0,0,741,500_AL_.jpg

lets see which one of you old farts has seen it.

Hey, I was literally just looking at the Blu-ray of this film on Amazon about an hour ago & contemplating buying it because I've never seen it before. Someone it fell through the cracks back in the '80s during its theatrical run & back when it was a staple in video rental shops I never got around to renting/watching it. So, I'm curious about it. I'm just not sure that I'm $22.95 curious. Especially since I just spent over $100 on Blu-rays already today.

So, how good is it?

Hey, I was literally just looking at the Blu-ray of this film on Amazon about an hour ago & contemplating buying it because I've never seen it before. Someone it fell through the cracks back in the '80s during its theatrical run & back when it was a staple in video rental shops I never got around to renting/watching it. So, I'm curious about it. I'm just not sure that I'm $22.95 curious. Especially since I just spent over $100 on Blu-rays already today.

So, how good is it?
i knew it would be you! it scared the life out of me when i first saw it, but its very much a product of the early 80s, the effects look a bit iffy, and the acting could have been better, but its a good film with a lot of unexpected scares. i haven't seen it on blu ray cause i don't think its available over here.

Other than ZOMBIE ( though even it had the thinnest of plots ) there aren't many of Fulci's films that make much narrative sense but damn could he come up with some great set pieces. CITY OF THE DEAD & THE BEYOND are full of them. And even a lesser film like HOUSE BY THE CEMETARY has a few. If he'd just worked with some good writers he'd have made some magnificent movies.

And, yes, his films are often filled with an atmosphere of dread & impending doom. He was great at that.

Do you sketch too? You really should show us some of them if that's the case. I'd like to see more photos too.

I tend to think the latter David Lynch feels rather like Italian horror such as Fulci in that its less interested in strong narrative sense and more interested in dream like atmosphere and playing up clichés. There clearly is a good deal of talent at work when it comes to something like that final scene, the kid running though the streets or coffin scene and often honestly a good deal of restraint(actual gore/zombie shots probably make up about 5 mins in total here?). Whilst the films subject matter often took a lead from Hollywood I think there style ended up being a significant influence on Hollywood.

I would take "interesting but imperfect" over "competent and dull" every time, I guess you can see from those shelve shots that most of my DVD/BR/4K collection tends to shift between arty stuff and genre cinema. Increasingly its your mainstream Hollywood "serious adult drama"(especially from the 90's onwards were it became more Oscar baity/bland) that I have little interest in.

I could claim I took up photography because I'm a rubbish sketcher ;), I'm guessing a lot of any talent I have for it comes from so many years watching cinema picking up composition subconsciously.

Something from Patagonia a few weeks pre lockdown..

YnBY2zr.jpg

i knew it would be you! it scared the life out of me when i first saw it, but its very much a product of the early 80s, the effects look a bit iffy, and the acting could have been better, but its a good film with a lot of unexpected scares. i haven't seen it on blu ray cause i don't think its available over here.

OK, cool. Thanks for the recommendation. Far be it from me to not take a chance on some good old early '80s horror. I just checked out the trailer for it a few minutes ago & it looks like it could be very interesting.

OK, cool. Thanks for the recommendation. Far be it from me to not take a chance on some good old early '80s horror. I just checked out the trailer for it a few minutes ago & it looks like it could be very interesting.
as a fellow lover of gore/horror and from italian directors, how about tenerbrae?

I tend to think the latter David Lynch feels rather like Italian horror such as Fulci in that its less interested in strong narrative sense and more interested in dream like atmosphere and playing up clichés. There clearly is a good deal of talent at work when it comes to something like that final scene, the kid running though the streets or coffin scene and often honestly a good deal of restraint(actual gore/zombie shots probably make up about 5 mins in total here?). Whilst the films subject matter often took a lead from Hollywood I think there style ended up being a significant influence on Hollywood.

I would take "interesting but imperfect" over "competent and dull" every time, I guess you can see from those shelve shots that most of my DVD/BR/4K collection tends to shift between arty stuff and genre cinema. Increasingly its your mainstream Hollywood "serious adult drama"(especially from the 90's onwards were it became more Oscar baity/bland) that I have little interest in.

I could claim I took up photography because I'm a rubbish sketcher ;), I'm guessing a lot of any talent I have for it comes from so many years watching cinema picking up composition subconsciously.

Something from Patagonia a few weeks pre lockdown..

YnBY2zr.jpg

Wow. That's excellent work. Very nice!

Yeah, I've often thought that if Lynch ever did a film in which his sole purpose was to scare his audience as much as possible that it would probably one of the scariest movies ever because his imagery & the atmosphere that he evokes is so often horrific. In fact, other than his documentary work there are elements of horror in everything he does.

Yeah, rather than reeling it in as I said I was going to do I wound up spending even more today than I did the last time I said I was going to curb it for a bit. But I found some Blu-rays for good prices that I'd been wanting badly. The OOP Scream Factory steelbook of Carpenter's THE THING, Blue Underground's 3 disc version of Argento's THE STENDAHL SYNDROME & a total impulse buy in a two Blu-ray/one CD set for PIECES. I have no idea why I bought it since I've never seen the film but it has excellent reviews from other some genre notables & fans alike so I wagered $30 on it that I'd like it. I also pre-ordered the uncut 40th-anniversary steelbook of the original FRIDAY THE 13TH.

as a fellow lover of gore/horror and from italian directors, how about tenerbrae?

Oh, TENEBRAE is one of my favorite Argento giallos. It's right up there with DEEP RED in my book. In fact I just rewatched it not too long ago.

You know one that I think is underrated is TRAUMA. Many Argento fans either hate it or are dismissive of it but I quite enjoy it.

Oh, TENEBRAE is one of my favorite Argento giallos. It's right up there with DEEP RED in my book. In fact I just rewatched it not too long ago.

You know one that I think is underrated is TRAUMA. Many Argento fans either hate it or are dismissive of it but I quite enjoy it.
i would love to browse your collection, its right up my street. what about Cronenberg?

Back