Movies What is the scariest movie you have ever seen?

Yeah, I've often thought that if Lynch ever did a film in which his sole purpose was to scare his audience as much as possible that it would probably one of the scariest movies ever because his imagery & the atmosphere that he evokes is so often horrific. In fact, other than his documentary work there are elements of horror in everything he does.

The first half of Lost Highway is probably as close as he's gotten to going for horror I would say, a big part of it as well is I would say sound design, those kinds of room 237 like unsettling noises, often quite sublte but very effective.

Yeah, rather than reeling it in as I said I was going to do I wound up spending even more today than I did the last time I said I was going to curb it for a bit. But I found some Blu-rays for good prices that I'd been wanting badly. The OOP Scream Factory steelbook of Carpenter's THE THING, Blue Underground's 3 disc version of Argento's THE STENDAHL SYNDROME & a total impulse buy in a two Blu-ray/one CD set for PIECES. I have no idea why I bought it since I've never seen the film but it has excellent reviews from other some genre notables & fans alike so I wagered $30 on it that I'd like it. I also pre-ordered the uncut 40th-anniversary steelbook of the original FRIDAY THE 13TH.

Honestly I don't feel too bad about it given that I'm actually getting though a couple of films a day in lockdown a lot of the time so I'm not building up a big backlog. With Criterion in the UK I tend to build up a wish list and then buy several titles when a sale starts.

I might follow your advice and go with the amazon order, probably go with both and see what else I can find that's US only to justify the postage.

Last edited:
I tend to think the latter David Lynch feels rather like Italian horror such as Fulci in that its less interested in strong narrative sense and more interested in dream like atmosphere and playing up clichés. There clearly is a good deal of talent at work when it comes to something like that final scene, the kid running though the streets or coffin scene and often honestly a good deal of restraint(actual gore/zombie shots probably make up about 5 mins in total here?). Whilst the films subject matter often took a lead from Hollywood I think there style ended up being a significant influence on Hollywood.

I would take "interesting but imperfect" over "competent and dull" every time, I guess you can see from those shelve shots that most of my DVD/BR/4K collection tends to shift between arty stuff and genre cinema. Increasingly its your mainstream Hollywood "serious adult drama"(especially from the 90's onwards were it became more Oscar baity/bland) that I have little interest in.

I could claim I took up photography because I'm a rubbish sketcher ;), I'm guessing a lot of any talent I have for it comes from so many years watching cinema picking up composition subconsciously.

Something from Patagonia a few weeks pre lockdown..

YnBY2zr.jpg
that's a really good drawing... It almost looks real

Sherdog would probably have preffered it without the rocks in the foreground I used to cover up several dozen Argentine girls swimming in their underwear in the lake.

Event Horizon I saw in theaters when I had just turned 10, that stands out in my mind but I am sure my age played a huge part in it.

Some of these are more unnerving than outright scary.

Childhood:

Night of the Living Dead (black & white version)
Stephen King's It (original)
Friday the 13th

Adulthood:

The Grudge 1 & 2
Hereditary
The Ring
Dead End
Event Horizon
In the Mouth of Madness

I've seen some of the most sick and deprived films of all time...300 Days of Sodom, Serbian Film, Men Behind The Sun Film. I'd have to go with Mothman Prophecies, it was met with mixed results and I can understand many wouldn't find it scary at all but for some reason that film really resonated and unsettled me.

I'd put the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre in there as well, it was so raw, unfiltered and just the rough recording of it makes it the complete product.
texas_chain_saw_massacre.jpg

Mothman Prophecies is highly underrated. The acting was great. Its not really a horror just highly eerie. Like It made me check out all the lore on the real thing.

i would love to browse your collection, its right up my street. what about Cronenberg?
I love early Cronenberg like SHIVERS ( or THEY CAME FROM WITHIN if you will ), RABID, THE BROOD & SCANNERS. Beyond those films, my enthusiasm wanes a bit. But, of course, THE FLY is a classic as well.

Do you collect physical media as well or do you mostly stream these days?

I thought the conjuring was creepy

insidious had that one moment where the demon was playing the piano or whatever the fuck

Mothman Prophecies is highly underrated. The acting was great. Its not really a horror just highly eerie. Like It made me check out all the lore on the real thing.
Saw some thing on buzzfeed unsolved about it
Some people really believe in that story huh

The first half of Lost Highway is probably as close as he's gotten to going for horror I would say, a big part of it as well is I would say sound design, those kinds of room 237 like unsettling noises, often quite sublte but very effective.

Honestly I don't feel too bad about it given that I'm actually getting though a couple of films a day in lockdown a lot of the time so I'm not building up a big backlog. With Criterion in the UK I tend to build up a wish list and then buy several titles when a sale starts.

I might follow your advice and go with the amazon order, probably go with both and see what else I can find that's US only to justify the postage.

Yeah, that seems like the best plan of action. Judging by the estimates given for my two orders coming from Amazon UK you're probably looking at a three week wait period. But I guarantee that it will be well worth it as I know you'll love what they've done with both SUSPIRIA & Fulci's ZOMBIE.

Let me know what else you decide to grab that's only available here in the US.

Saw some thing on buzzfeed unsolved about it
Some people really believe in that story huh
Yup. Its a big deal over in the carolinas. Read about it, pretty fun read actually.

Yeah, that seems like the best plan of action. Judging by the estimates given for my two orders coming from Amazon UK you're probably looking at a three week wait period. But I guarantee that it will be well worth it as I know you'll love what they've done with both SUSPIRIA & Fulci's ZOMBIE.

Let me know what else you decide to grab that's only available here in the US.

Honestly I'v given up on Amazon, I thought they were quoting prices plus VAT when I was logged in as a UK user but they were adding that on afterwards, even adding in a photography book I'd been after to reduce postage per item it was coming out as £40 each which is too much for me. Price gouging seems to be becoming their policy these days so I think I'll just do an order with Deep Discount and wait for them to come back into stock.

Did watch the new UHD of Jaws last night which is very nicely done indeed.

The X-Files episode about the doll that would make people harm themselves terrified me

I love early Cronenberg like SHIVERS ( or THEY CAME FROM WITHIN if you will ), RABID, THE BROOD & SCANNERS. Beyond those films, my enthusiasm wanes a bit. But, of course, THE FLY is a classic as well.

Do you collect physical media as well or do you mostly stream these days?
yeah, i get the physical copies. those early cronenberg films scared me so much, i was terrified to go to canada. got some stuff thats quite difficult to get nowadays.

Honestly I'v given up on Amazon, I thought they were quoting prices plus VAT when I was logged in as a UK user but they were adding that on afterwards, even adding in a photography book I'd been after to reduce postage per item it was coming out as £40 each which is too much for me. Price gouging seems to be becoming their policy these days so I think I'll just do an order with Deep Discount and wait for them to come back into stock.

Did watch the new UHD of Jaws last night which is very nicely done indeed.
Ouch. That is some serious price gouging. Sorry about that, man. Best of luck with Deep Discount. Hopefully, they'll get those two films back in stock very soon.

yeah, i get the physical copies. those early cronenberg films scared me so much, i was terrified to go to canada. got some stuff thats quite difficult to get nowadays.

I don't blame you. Early Cronenberg was as unsettling as hell. And I forgot to mention THE DEAD ZONE. That's a favorite of mine as well. In fact, I used to live about fifteen minutes from where Cronenberg shot it in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario. So, my first wife & I had some of our wedding photos taken of us on the gazebo that's featured so prominently in the movie.

So, tell me. What's your collection like? What are some of your harder to find items now?

Back