Movies What is the scariest movie you have ever seen?

I'v still not seen the remake, it does seem to be very love/hate in its reactions, I'm guessing perhaps depending a lot on expectation?

The original to me almost feels like an extended music video to the Goblin soundtrack(which was I believe recorded first with Argento having a strong influence), playing up horror clichés and focusing mostly on atmosphere to match the music. I'v heard how good the US UHD release of it is, I'v still got ther old Cine-Excess version which I honestly felt looked very good but it seems the Synapse UHD is even better, it does seem like a film very well suited for HDR and more extreme colours.

Oh, it's amazing, bro. It's crystal clear & the colors pop off the screen. If every 4K remastering looked like this it would be incredible. People that saw it in the theater say that it looks even better now than it did back then. I can't vouch for that though because, for one, I was just a kid back in 1977 so my memories are a wee bit indistinct & two, I saw it at my local drive-in which notoriously underlit their movies.

I'v still not seen the remake, it does seem to be very love/hate in its reactions, I'm guessing perhaps depending a lot on expectation?

The original to me almost feels like an extended music video to the Goblin soundtrack(which was I believe recorded first with Argento having a strong influence), playing up horror clichés and focusing mostly on atmosphere to match the music. I'v heard how good the US UHD release of it is, I'v still got ther old Cine-Excess version which I honestly felt looked very good but it seems the Synapse UHD is even better, it does seem like a film very well suited for HDR and more extreme colours.

In fact, come to think of it, there was a thread made last night about our five favorite films from the '70s & I should have put SUSPIRIA on it rather than ALIEN as I love it just a wee bit more than Scott's film. It's Argento's masterpiece IMO.

As for the remake, it's quite interesting & I think you'll like it when you catch up with it. It's not remotely the same movie as Argento's original but it's got its own visual style. The narrative is a lot different but it's unmistakenly a version of SUSPIRIA.

Three movies that I saw at way to young of an age, and terrorized my youth were Cujo, The People Under the Stairs, and Akira.
The imagery in Akira made me so uneasy and I didn't understand the movie at all when I first saw it.

Edit: forgot but Pink Floyd's The Wall as well.

Oh The Wall is a good choice. I saw it a little young and it was pretty warping. Then saw it appropriately aged and appropriately drugged and it was still pretty powerful but less terrifying.

I was mortified by Candyman as a kid.

as an adult the only movie that really messed me up was the Fourth Kind. Conjuring gave me nightmares the night of but it disappeared quite quickly

Candyman.
I was like 10. Huge mistake.

To this day, I will nope the fuck out if I see that movie. Hell no, no way, fuck off with that shit. Nope nope nope.

Like this, but in human form.

iu

Oh, it's amazing, bro. It's crystal clear & the colors pop off the screen. If every 4K remastering looked like this it would be incredible. People that saw it in the theater say that it looks even better now than it did back then. I can't vouch for that though because, for one, I was just a kid back in 1977 so my memories are a wee bit indistinct & two, I saw it at my local drive-in which notoriously underlit their movies.

I'm in the same position as you for some UK only UHD's that its hard to get a copy over here at the moment and quite expensive to import. I must admit I'm a little tempted by Blue Undergrounds Zombie/Flesh Eaters UHD as I only have that on DVD.

@HenryFlower has already posted it, and i'll do so as well.

I honestly think that very few, if any, movies compare to the effect threads will have on you.

I have yet to see something as bleak, especially because because the threat of a country being affected by nuclear warfare is something very real.

I promise anyone on here that this movie will terrify you and leave you in a state that possibly no movie ever has done.
View attachment 773032
@Ares Black @GoshiShun17
Saw you guys posting on here, so i've thought i'm gonna tag you - this movie will leave you feeling terrible but it's worth watching imo. (If that makes sense).
Man Threads is some terrifying shit I agree. Makes a lot of other post-apoc films look like Achy Breaky Heart
seems really fucking obvious now, but watching Threads on acid was a baaaaaaaaaad idea. me & my two buddies were really fucking bummed out lol

I'm in the same position as you for some UK only UHD's that its hard to get a copy over here at the moment and quite expensive to import. I must admit I'm a little tempted by Blue Undergrounds Zombie/Flesh Eaters UHD as I only have that on DVD.

Oh, I wasn't aware that it's not available in the UK. That's unfortunate. Hopefully, it will be soon. The SUSPIRIA UHD is an absolute must-have IMHO.

As is Blue Underground's UHD of Fulci's ZOMBIE. It's awesome. It looks as good as that day back in July of 1980 when I saw it at the cinema. I'd say it's the second-best example of how good UHD can make a film look right after SUSPIRIA. I very highly recommend it.

seems really fucking obvious now, but watching Threads on acid was a baaaaaaaaaad idea. me & my two buddies were really fucking bummed out lol

Yeah, bro, I don't think that was the wisest of choices. LOL. What a bleak experience that must have been. Sorry you had to endure that.

Oh, I wasn't aware that it's not available in the UK. That's unfortunate. Hopefully, it will be soon. The SUSPIRIA UHD is an absolute must-have IMHO.

As is Blue Underground's UHD of Fulci's ZOMBIE. It's awesome. It looks as good as that day back in July of 1980 when I saw it at the cinema. I'd say it's the second-best example of how good UHD can make a film look right after SUSPIRIA. I very highly recommend it.

I have found on UHD that it is often the extremes that work best, very polished visual films like say The Shining but also the scuzzier end like Don't Look Now were 4K gives you more of a film like look. I'm hoping these various zombie films achieve the latter well.

Honestly I don't tend to import a great deal, the german version of Paris Texas and the US of La Belle Noiseuse on BR were the last things I did, a bit of a shift from the latter to Zombie. <45>

I'm 32 this year. The first scary movie for me was Sleepaway Camp. I randomly found it when I was between 10-12 years old. Can't remember exactly but I was going through un marked VHS tapes in my family's house. It started from the middle of the beginning so I didn't know what I was watching. The setting is like your typical 80's camp story with bullies and such. That's always scary for me. It wasn't really scary scary but the ending is what got me. I won't spoil it but at the time I was extremely freaked out.

I did enjoy the first SAW movie as well. The ending had me in shock. As much as I look to enjoy scary movies, most of them do nothing for me. I hate ghost movies and movies where no one actually dies.

I enjoyed Get Out but that's more of a thriller than a horror I guess. I like thrillers.

I was surprised I was the only one who had mentioned it.

I was surprised I was the only one who had mentioned it.
The creepy aunt and the cut scenes to the parents were creepy as well. Especially at that age me seeing two men on each other like that was like wtf. And I'm still not sure if the aunt was actually a woman.

I have found on UHD that it is often the extremes that work best, very polished visual films like say The Shining but also the scuzzier end like Don't Look Now were 4K gives you more of a film like look. I'm hoping these various zombie films achieve the latter well.

Honestly I don't tend to import a great deal, the german version of Paris Texas and the US of La Belle Noiseuse on BR were the last things I did, a bit of a shift from the latter to Zombie. <45>

Yeah, it certainly is. LOL.

I've seen some of the most sick and deprived films of all time...300 Days of Sodom, Serbian Film, Men Behind The Sun Film. I'd have to go with Mothman Prophecies, it was met with mixed results and I can understand many wouldn't find it scary at all but for some reason that film really resonated and unsettled me.

I'd put the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre in there as well, it was so raw, unfiltered and just the rough recording of it makes it the complete product.
texas_chain_saw_massacre.jpg

Back