What does Dos Santos do now?

Schedule Fights- Win Fights

Wait for the belt to change hands

No one has had that long of a title reign in the division. Cain looks like the champ for the foreseeable future but you never know.

Beat the rest of the division silly.

Heal up.

Werdum rematch.

4th JDS/Cain fight.

He's closer to another title shot than you would think. Other contenders will fold (worse than him) or look crappy in the process (HWs gas out a lot), and people will be begging for JDS to get another title shot and hope that Werdum already beat Cain.

He isn't close to a title shot. He is never going to fight Cain agian. Nobody, aside from a few delusional JDS huggers want to see a 4th fight.

Learning to keep his hands up would be a great move for him now.

Exactly. So you lose Cain vs Barnett which is a very viable, sellable match-up and gain absolutely nothing. Hence why it's an extremely poor choice for a match-up and won't get made.

This. I don't know why that has to be explained over and over

Schedule Fights- Win Fights

Wait for the belt to change hands

No one has had that long of a title reign in the division. Cain looks like the champ for the foreseeable future but you never know.

Did you make it to that Bellator card on Friday?

He isn't close to a title shot. He is never going to fight Cain agian. Nobody, aside from a few delusional JDS huggers want to see a 4th fight.
Those two will probably end up fighting 5 times. It's just the state of the HW division we have right now. Cain/JDS>Cormier>>>>>>the rest. And this isn't like in the PRIDE days where we can just keep throwing fresh bodies at the champion. The HW division only has like 30 fighters total.

4th JDS/Cain fight.

NOBODY wants to see a fourth match and a third consecutive massacre against the cage, Handy style.

All he can hope is joining Cormier to LHW. Hell, I would have no problem with JDS/Jones, JDS/Cormier and JDS/Gustafsson at LHW.

Could be pretty entertaining. Dos Santos is a one trick pony at HW. Perhaps he will finally develop a proper exciting ground game like his coach Big Nog there.

If he stays at HW, only Overeem will be worth the money, he will never ever get another title shot and any title reign at HW after last night.

Not even in his wildest dreams.

Those two will probably end up fighting 5 times. It's just the state of the HW division we have right now. Cain/JDS>Cormier>>>>>>the rest.

There is no need for it. With Browne, Barnett, Werdum and possibly Cormier and a few fringe contenders, Cain could be booked for the next two years. It doesn't matter who wins the Browne/Barnett fight, the loser wins 2 or 3 fights and they're closer to a title shot the JDS on a 5 fight winning streak is. There is simply no need for another fight, much less two.

NOBODY wants to see a fourth match and a third consecutive massacre against the cage, Handy style.

All he can hope is joining Cormier to LHW. Hell, I would have no problem with JDS/Jones, JDS/Cormier and JDS/Gustafsson at LHW.

Could be pretty entertaining. Dos Santos is a one trick pony at HW. Perhaps he will finally develop a proper exciting ground game like his coach Big Nog there.

If he stays at HW, only Overeem will be worth the money, he will never ever get another title shot and any title reign at HW after last night.

is Dos Santos going to cut off a limb?

He has to start from the bottom now, IMO. It wouldn't be a good idea for the UFC to put him in high profile fights because all he'll do is knockout title contenders. So he does 2-3 fights with mid-level guys. Then he gets maybe 2 higher profile fights. If at least 2 years have passed then maybe you can start talking about a 4th fight. I don't see how he can get another shot any sooner unless Cain loses the belt.

What do you guys see the UFC doing with Dos Santos now? I don't think there is any need to debate at this point who the better fighter is of the two. Last night was pretty definitive. At the same time, Dos Santos is clearly head and shoulders above everyone else in the divison. Since there is no need for a 4th fight, what does he do now? Does he get the John Fitch treatment? I see them trying to give Junior big fights agianst guys who are names in the divison, but aren't legitimate contenders anymore. Guys I see him fighting: Overeem and Bigfoot. Guys he will absolutely be kept away from: Browne, Werdum, Barnett, Cormier. Thoughts?

He'll fight Cain one more time. He has big power so always has a chance but other than a punchers chance, this might be like Rich fighting Anderson or BJ fighting GSP a few years ago. JDS is young enough to get better so I'd say he has to work on wrestling like mad and make Cain stand with him. He is still at the top of HWT and may be favored against almost anyone. He probably needs to forget about Cain for the next year or longer and get at least 3 good fights in and work on nothing but finding a way to beat Cain. Dana isn't going to want him beating contenders but of the list above, I could see Barnett. Dana isn't a fan of him and Cormier already beat him.

Dos Santos has some of the best TDD in the HW division, both currently and historically. His boxing is top notch. Against every other fighter but Cain he will keep the fight standing and knock their heads off. His problem is that Cain is just a great once-in-a-lifetime fighter that will be incredibly hard to beat. The fact that he has already did it once just shows you that he is a great fighter.

I was kind of kidding but if it did happen, he'd have to go through top guys and look good doing it before it happens. I doubt he'd be denied another shot if he goes through the best the UFC can throw at him.

Browne/Barnett winner.

I think that's the exact worst thing they could possibly do.

If JDS beats the winner, then what? 4th matchup with Cain in his last 7 fights? Especially after how the last 2 went?

This is the exact reason I think they rushed this fight.

Yep.

Should have let it build.

Now, if you rematch them again, not only are people sick of it, but it's probably another domination.
If you match JDS against top contenders, you're going to derail them and get cornered into Cain-JDS IV.
And if you match JDS against midlevel guys, you have lopsided fights there.

Total fuckup on their part, from Cain-Bigfoot II to Cain-JDS III.

Honestly, best thing for JDS and the UFC both right now is for him to take most of a year off to recover from this.

Back