What does Dos Santos do now?

I know people think Cain is untouchable but JDS might find himself back in title contention sooner than we might think

JDS has destroyed and will destroy anybody not named Cain. This is a Condit/GSP situation. Two top guys head and shoulders above anyone in the division. Most likely, if Reem wins over Mir, JDS gets to murder him next in a big striker vs striker fight. Then Browne, Miodic or who the fuck knows. JDS has taken out just about everybody else.

I could see them trying to push Stipe Miocic, because I don't see Cormier fighting Cain

Miocic is on a 1 fight win streak. He's at least 2-3 away from a title shot. GG vs stipe is most likely up next.

There is a very god chance none of those guys gets past JDS, that's the point I'm making. You can't have him ruining title contenders, and you can't really justify him fighting for the title himself agian, so what do they do with him?

It's even worse than Tito and Chuck. Chuck was murdering everybody and was the de facto champ, except the UFC didn't want him dethroning Tito because everybody knew he would win and kill the cash cow. In the case of Cain and JDS, JDS has and will murder everybody but Cain has won over JDS twice already. The beating Cain put on JDS is the same beating that JDS has put on everybody else.

JDS has destroyed and will destroy anybody not named Cain. This is a Condit/GSP situation. Two top guys head and shoulders above anyone in the division. Most likely, if Reem wins over Mir, JDS gets to murder him next in a big striker vs striker fight. Then Browne, Miodic or who the fuck knows. JDS has taken out just about everybody else.

GSP/Hendricks would be the more appropriate analogy.

Cain/Werdum probably won't happen for some time (March at the earliest), and the Browne/Barnett winner should fight again in the mean time, against JDS.

And again, what is the upside here? If JDS beat say Barnett, then what is accomplished?

Give him Roy

He already smashed Roy. This is the point I'm making. They've left themselves in a position where ou have this very good, very marketable guy with nobody to fight. He's already beaten everybody that it makes sense to have him fight, aside from Bigfoot and Overeem. What are they going to do, have him fight the Rothwell and Mitrione? Niether of those guys make sense. They shouldn't have had him fight Hunt yet, at least that would have given them one more guy that it made sense to have him fight.

GSP/Hendricks would be the more appropriate analogy.

No way. Hendricks has two shitty split decisions on his road to contendership. And Condit was the interim champ.

You could say GSP/Fitch.

It's even worse than Tito and Chuck. Chuck was murdering everybody and was the de facto champ, except the UFC didn't want him dethroning Tito because everybody knew he would win and kill the cash cow. In the case of Cain and JDS, JDS has and will murder everybody but Cain has won over JDS twice already. The beating Cain put on JDS is the same beating that JDS has put on everybody else.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks for the help.

FFS, how couldn't I realize this: SCHAUB! PLEASE MAKE JDS FIGHT BRENDAN SCHAUB!

Unless he gets a complete squash match, I think him vs the Browne/Barnett winner is most likely. He shouldn't have gotten a shot with a win over Hunt.

Dude, you're either high, or you don't understand the fight game. The winner of that fight is the guy who is next in line for a title shot. Where exactly does JDS fit into that picture right now? The answer is "he doesn't".

And again, what is the upside here? If JDS beat say Barnett, then what is accomplished?

Then he is back in contention. That doesn't mean JDS/Cain 4 is made.

I just can't imagine them giving JDS, an elite HW KO artist, feeder matchups.

Heal up, destroy two opponents, fight Cain again.

EDIT: Overeem if he beats Mir. I'd like to see him murder Schaub as well.

Dude, you're either high, or you don't understand the fight game. The winner of that fight is the guy who is next in line for a title shot. Where exactly does JDS fit into that picture right now? The answer is "he doesn't".

He's closer to another title shot than you would think. Other contenders will fold (worse than him) or look crappy in the process (HWs gas out a lot), and people will be begging for JDS to get another title shot and hope that Werdum already beat Cain.

Then he is back in contention. That doesn't mean JDS/Cain 4 is made.
Exactly. So you lose Cain vs Barnett which is a very viable, sellable match-up and gain absolutely nothing. Hence why it's an extremely poor choice for a match-up and won't get made.

I just can't imagine them giving JDS, an elite HW KO artist, feeder matchups.
The sad truth is that he should have been given 1 or 2 more of those before this fight happened. He really didn't have enough time between the second and third match between Cain to make drastic enough improvements to make it a significantly different fight.

it's weird because he's just not good enough to beat cain yet he's a full step ahead of the rest of the division. i could see him being a late injury replacement for a future title fight. i can't see the ufc trying to market a fourth fight otherwise. at least not for a long time.

I think JDS will have to wait at least 2 years before he can fight Cain again.

As someone else mentioned, JDS can fight all of the guys Cain beat. And that list will grow... And whichever guy can beat JDS can get a match / rematch with Cain.

JDS vs Cormier sounds really good too if he doesn't go to 205.

Give JDS an easier fight to rebound with.

How about Brendan Schaub?

I would like to see them fight.

Back