What does Dos Santos do now?

Fight the lower tier guys and build himself up, or drop to 205 if possible ( i dont think it is though) ...

They use him as a guardian to Cain's throne. If they can get past JDS, they're worthy of fighting the GOAT.

Cain wouldn't have many fights then. I can't see anyone consistently beating JDS or Cain

He'll fight Cain one more time. He has big power so always has a chance but other than a punchers chance, this might be like Rich fighting Anderson or BJ fighting GSP a few years ago. JDS is young enough to get better so I'd say he has to work on wrestling like mad and make Cain stand with him. He is still at the top of HWT and may be favored against almost anyone. He probably needs to forget about Cain for the next year or longer and get at least 3 good fights in and work on nothing but finding a way to beat Cain. Dana isn't going to want him beating contenders but of the list above, I could see Barnett. Dana isn't a fan of him and Cormier already beat him.

Neither Franklin or BJ got another fight after being demolished. People have put way to much on that haymaker from the first fight. They aren't going to fight again.

It will be an epic waste of talent if JDS doesn't move to a more competitive training camp!! The camp at Brazil already gave him everything they could which was basically that top notch boxing!

He now needs to move away from the confort zone and maybe try one of the top camps in the US. He needs to work on his striking defence and wrestling! IMO he's the only one capable of beating Cain... Just needs to evolve a bit more, he's still young!

Ok, here I lay out his next three fights against all top 10 (or just below) opponents he has just faced and is unlikely to be an immediate contender at that point.

First:

Travis Browne (if he loses against Barnett).

Then he fights...

Antonio Silva (they're both top 10, has two losses to Cain and has never fought before. Logical match-up).

Then he fights...

Alistair Overeem (If he's still around and hasn't recovered himself into a title shot by this point it makes sense to play out their grudge).

There you have it, three upcoming fights against top 10-ish competition without eliminating actual contenders.

fight midcarders like shaub,rothwell,sao palelei, jordan, etc.
then fight overeem for a title eliminator.

I think the only solution is to have JDS fight the lower level guys. Have him start over. Give him a guy like Schaub or Mitrione, have him pick off guys that are likely not gonna be title contenders anyways and then gradually work himself up, like after he beats Schaub or Mitrione, give him Stipe, if he beats Stipe, give him someone like Roy, after that he needs to pick off 2 contenders before even considering him for a 4th title shot imo.

This is all assuming of course that Cain remains champ this whole time. If Cain doesn't remain champ, then JDS can get another shot after about 2-3 wins.

I see him fighting the Mir/Overeem loser and maybe Roy Nelson to get back to the title picture.

Ok, here I lay out his next three fights against all top 10 (or just below) opponents he has just faced and is unlikely to be an immediate contender at that point.

First:

Travis Browne (if he loses against Barnett).

Then he fights...

Antonio Silva (they're both top 10, has two losses to Cain and has never fought before. Logical match-up).

Then he fights...

Alistair Overeem (If he's still around and hasn't recovered himself into a title shot by this point it makes sense to play out their grudge).

There you have it, three upcoming fights against top 10-ish competition without eliminating actual contenders.

Nah. Overeem is the logical next fight, if he beats Mir

well it's gonna be hard for him to adjust mental to not being the king and likely never holding the belt again, unfortunately he's looking at a Rich Franklin situation where he can beat everyone except the champ

well it's gonna be hard for him to adjust mental to not being the king and likely never holding the belt again, unfortunately he's looking at a Rich Franklin situation where he can beat everyone except the champ

Not really. He only had one title defense...its not like he was Anderson Silva or anything.

Both JDS and Cain deserve a belt.

I REALLY REALLY wanna see JDS drop to 205 and take it away from Jones. After Jones destroyed Shogun, JDS threatened to drop weight to go after him, so I think he can do it.

UFC has to speed up things in the HW division. There are a lot of undercard fighters, young prospects. Mix things up fast, accelerate rising contenders, perhaps things will unfold to a point where a 4th fight will be inevitable. But that should take years.

obviously, go beat the klitschkos become the boxing HW champ and start making some big money.

His problem seemed to be he felt he could just show up in better shape ,work on his tdd with a russian high level wrestler and things would just go his way ..no other gameplan adjustment at all
If he doesnt work to deal with the clinch and fighting agaisnt the fence he cant beat cain and he could also lose to cain lite aka cormeir

Ko 2 opponents, hope cain loses and challenge for the title again.

or beat 4-5 opponents, and face cain again. Who knows.

Back