What can Rumble offer to Gus that Manuwa didn't?

Bigger guy, more explosive, more power in hands and feet and way better wrestling.

Fuck ton more power in each punch

Throws in combinations rather than just 1s and 2s

Stellar takedown defense

Do I need to go on?

Manuwa is a big strong heavy hitter but Rumble is even bigger, stronger and hits even more hard im sure....he is basically an uber Manuwa

oh and lets not forget his wrestling defense was able to stop Phil dead in his tracks which is a very impressive feat

takedown defense, physical strength in the clinch and on the ground, and counter-punching.

and now s rumble is the most powerful puncher ever

he ko'ed some WW, some random guys when he left the ufc, he DIDNT KO the so called "glass jaw" arlovski, not sure if he even rocked him, he didnt KO phil davis and he did KO 50 year old little nog

Because so many people have starched Lil Nog like that

Knocking out a dinosaur that hadn't fought in over a year and a half really isn't that impressive. Lil Nog is 38 years old and looked absolutely terrible there. He needs to retire.
Manuwa has never stopped a fight in the UFC from pure strikes, he has no TKO/KO by strikes victories in the UFC, or over any fighter of note. He beat a bunch of people nobody has ever heard of in England, and had only win stopped during a round in the UFC, against Jimmo who injured his leg. IIRC, both Cyrille and Kingsbury (? wasnt it Kingsbury he fought first?) were stopped at the end of the round.

Manuwa has one of the most devastating KOs ever recorded in MMA history against Luke Blythe. And how many UFC fights do you think he has had? He's had 4 fights and is 3-1 in the UFC, all wins coming by way of TKO due to his opponents not being able to continue / doctor stoppage. He broke Kingsbury's eye socket in three different places.

A4EhaTdCAAEGxh9.jpg

He'd finished every fight leading up to the Gustafsson fight, in the cage or by retiring his opponents in between rounds. He isn't just an extremely powerful puncher, his techniques are nasty and devastating. He'll work the Thai clinch and break fighter's bones. Both have very legit one-shot knockout power.

Johnson almost murdered a legit LHW legend and embarrassed a top 5 opponent in Phil Davis. Manuwa beat Jimmo, Cyrille, and Kingsbury. I have literally never heard of any of his other opponents.

He beat him down but "almost murdered" is a stretch. He didn't even knock him down (I'm a Davis fan but let's keep it real). That was a very good matchup for Rumble, Phil's striking has always been his weakness. It's no secret. And if he can't take a fighter down with legit striking and KO power (Rumble for example) then he's in for a long painful night or a very short one.

So yeah, Manuwa has a ton of TKO/KO wins, but is knocking out nobodies the same as knocking out ranked fighters?

It clearly isn't the same, but, it's indicative of the firepower that a fighter possesses. Look at McGregor and all of his knockout wins prior to coming to the UFC. Has that changed? No. He's knocked out 4 out of 5 of his opponents in the first 2 rounds as he was doing prior to getting into the UFC. Manuwa is very powerful, like Conor is, and regardless of competition if they land then they'll be stopping their opponents or at least giving them a beating from hell. Manuwa is still learning a lot and hasn't been around quite as long as Rumble so he's only going to get better and as a result even more dangerous when he adds more setups and improves his timing and footwork.

Exactly. Manuwa was undefeated in 14 fights prior to fighting Gus. With 13 of those wins coming by way of TKO/KO. He literally looks like he's trying to kill his opponents at times. I have no idea if he actually hits as hard as Rumble or not, but he's clearly a powerful striker in his own right.

And all 14 of them were against low level opponents. He had 1 ranked fighter, ever, and he got slaughtered.

Know what happened last time rumble fought a top 5 guy? I do.

- Experience: Rumble > Manuwa
- Striking: Rumble > Manuwa
- Punching Power: Rumble = Manuwa (leaning towards Rumble here)
- Wrestling: Rumble > Manuwa (if Davis couldn't use his wrestling, I seriously doubt - - Gus will be able to do it)
- Resume: Rumble > Manuwa
- Chin: Rumble > Manuwa
- Cardio: Manuwa is untested

I don't think you can compare Manuwa and Rumble to predict the outcome of the fight. I think Gus is going to win via foot work, it's going to look a lot like the Shogun or the Silva fight. It's not going to be easy but he will be favored by the judges at the end. That's how I see it.

Rumble is another kind of fighter these days. Just like Gus approved his game since losing to Davis has approved as well. I will cheer for Gus but make no mistake Rumble isn't the same fighter that lost to Kosheck.

I'm surprised by the amount of people picking Rumble over Gus. Rumble has had a great streak at 205, but stylistically he seems to be a poor matchup for Gus. He's a great power puncher, strong and dangerous inside, but the same could be said of Manuwa whom Gus beat fairly easily. I don't think Johnson even has the advantage in the grappling department. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Is this a sarcastic thread?

Rumble is better then Manuwa everywhere and hits alot harder.

I'm surprised by the amount of people picking Rumble over Gus. Rumble has had a great streak at 205, but stylistically he seems to be a poor matchup for Gus. He's a great power puncher, strong and dangerous inside, but the same could be said of Manuwa whom Gus beat fairly easily. I don't think Johnson even has the advantage in the grappling department. Anyone care to enlighten me?

The srikiing in that fight was closer than people think,

Gus won round one with wrestling. Johnson is a much better wrestler than jimi.

Johnson has never been ko'd or even hurt really that I can remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back