What can Rumble offer to Gus that Manuwa didn't?

Wrestling and massive ko power. Gus is getting ko in this fight. Rumble Johnson is getting that title from Jones.

His experience he packs more power and he's a tree stump at light heavyweight. Anytime Davis clinched up with him or take him down he was shucked aside like a small child. Glover couldn't do that rumble is one of the strongest guys at 205 right now. His experience though he's been in there with all sorts.

horrible argument. Rumbles way better than Manuwa. What does Gus offer to Rumble that Arlovski didn't?

horrible argument. Rumbles way better than Manuwa. What does Gus offer to Rumble that Arlovski didn't?

I have said just that. Arlovsky has better hands,kicks and is way more powerful than Gus. Rumble will be just fine.

Much better boxing and a granite chin instead of a glass chin, for starters. Much better footwork, more fluid striking and great lateral movement. A nasty rear naked choke, the best jab in MMA, and is quicker. Need me to keep going, big hoss? :icon_lol:

What a fail.

Much better boxing and a granite chin instead of a glass chin, for starters. Much better footwork, more fluid striking and great lateral movement. A nasty rear naked choke, the best jab in MMA, and is quicker. Need me to keep going, big hoss? :icon_lol:

What a fail.

haha I don't agree with most of that. Arlovski's chin has held up just fine in the last couple years and I don't agree that Gus is a better striker. Gus probably does have better footwork though.

AJ can see out of both eyes, that'd be the main thing. Gus still wins though.

I knew someone was going to post some dumb shit like this.

Let me throw a wrench into your dumb.

Rumble is wearing shoes and Jimi isn't.

And Rumble is slouched over. Rumble is clearly bigger than Jimi, only a moron would dispute that. Are you going to dispute that and prove youre a moron?

Rumble isn't bigger than Gustafsson and he's definitely not faster. When he explodes it's very short lived, like with any athlete with short powerful movements. It isn't sustainable speed, something that Gustafsson has an advantage in. Rumble is more powerful/explosive but for only one movement at a time.

Jimi had stopped all of his opponents going into the Gus fight, it doesn't matter if they were beaten up so badly that the fight was stopped in between rounds or not. He has plenty of knockouts (TKO/KO) that have happened in the midst of the fight. You can't accurately judge his power on just 3 wins that he wasn't able to knock those few opponents out cold in the fights. Kingsbury is known for having an excellent chin and had only been TKO'd once in his career back in 2007 before Manuwa stopped him. Jimmo had only been TKO'd once too in his career in his very first fight back in 2007 before Manuwa stopped him by fucking up his leg with a beating that caused it to give out easily. Diabate had only been TKO'd once in his MMA career by Shogun via stomps back in 2006 before Manuwa stopped/retired him, though he also has a kickboxing record with 10 losses but it doesn't say how many if any of them were by knockout.

Nobody is arguing that Jimi has more knockouts against as good or better competition than Rumble does. What is being argued is Rumble having "significantly" more power than Manuwa, which he doesn't. Competition level aside, see for yourself. This guy had never been knocked out before in his career prior to Jimi flatlining him...

06_-_Jimi_Manuwa_vs_Luke_Blythe_-_UCMMA_6.gif

iMNgeo7piDj6c.gif

Kingsbury could've easily been finished by this 'in the fight', he literally got faceplanted:

tumblr_mb70ysaGYj1rr8wbto1_500.gif

Manuwa's monster GnP:

03_-_Jimi_Manuwa_vs_Chris_Greig_-_UCMMA_1_medium.gif

Jimi's nasty clinchwork with powerful knees (notice how badly he cuts him open):

10_-_Jimi_Manuwa_vs_Nick_Chapman_-_UCMMA_24.gif

More brutal exemplary punching power:

09_-_Jimi_Manuwa_vs_Valentino_Petrescu_-_UCMMA_14_medium.gif

Rumble doesn't hit much harder if he even does at all. That much is clear.

So knocking out cans is the same as knocking out ranked, UFC fighters?

Good to know

haha I don't agree with most of that. Arlovski's chin has held up just fine in the last couple years and I don't agree that Gus is a better striker. Gus probably does have better footwork though.

Not to be a dick, but, it doesn't really matter if you personally agree or not, it's the general consensus of the masses (and educated fans, pundits and analysts). Gustafsson is by far and large a better striker than Arlovski. Arlovski hasn't looked real sharp since he fought & got KO'ed by Fedor many years ago. That was back when Andrei was training his boxing extensively with Freddie Roach.

The footwork is a given, the jab is a given (arguably 'the' most versatile jab in the sport), the speed is obvious, his chin has never been cracked while Arlovski's has, Gustafsson utilizes a lot more lateral movement, effectively too, and is observably more fluid in his striking than Arlovski. Given that Gustafsson is one of the top boxers in MMA, I think that's a given too. Gustafsson has been in virtually everyone's Top 3/5 boxers list from this forum to polls on the web, and his [Alliance Gym's] part-time coach, Eric Del Fierro, said just over a year ago that Gustafsson's boxing is "bar none probably the best in the sport right now". Del Fierro is one of the most respected coaches in MMA for teaching his brand of striking, boxing and footwork. There isn't a single more proven coach out there for footwork in MMA worldwide, and he's the man behind Cruz's unique footwork as well. Arlovski isn't even in most people's Top 10 lists these days because he's regressed so much from what he used to have in terms of boxing skill.

Eric Del Fierro source on Gus' superior boxing: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Tr...-Wouldnt-Let-Jon-Jones-Set-Up-Takedowns-56897

he can finish in more ways, although he is a huge power punchers, he is still better than Manuwa - who just throws standard combos with little fluidity.

Arlovsky has a much better ground game then Gus and Arlovsky is a lot stronger. Arlovsky couldn't even get the fight to the ground vs Rumble.

Rumble will toss Gus aside if he tries to take him down.

Rumble has fought and "beaten" a greater assortment of "talented" fighters in his career.

He also lost enbarrassingly to an average LW. lol

Arlovsky has a much better ground game then Gus and Arlovsky is a lot stronger. Arlovsky couldn't even get the fight to the ground vs Rumble.

Rumble will toss Gus aside if he tries to take him down.

You have it ass-backwards. Rumble couldn't get the fight to the ground. He made at least 10 takedown attempts against Arlovski and landed 0.

A big ol luscious juicy booty packed with power
arlovski-vs-johnson-wsof2.jpg

true-love-smiley-emoticon.gif

man thats gotta be 40 inch plus!

Rumble has better boxing than Manuwa. He has a better stance for exploding with his punches.

Manuwa stands straight up and down like a Kickboxer which negates his reach. Rumble stands with his weight on his front leg which utilizes more reach and allows for proper punching.

Manuwa sacrifices his boxing for kicking power with his stance.

Rumble is way more aggressive as well.

Not to be a dick, but, it doesn't really matter if you personally agree or not, it's the general consensus of the masses (and educated fans, pundits and analysts). Derp Derp Derp

oh gawwwd :rolleyes:

I have said just that. Arlovsky has better hands,kicks and is way more powerful than Gus. Rumble will be just fine.

Arlovski does NOT have better hands than Gus, especially for MMA.

Gus has faster hands and can box while moving his feet something Arlosvki cannot do.

AA has to be set in his stance to fire punches, while Gus can skip around and fire from any angle.

Finally Arlovski has no heart, Gus has proven his over and over again. The second AA gets hit hard in the face he crumbles like Crocop, Overeem, or Mir.

This is the difference between a fighter and a Martial Artist. MA are not reliable when it comes to dealing with adversity, fighters find a way to win no matter how much damage they are dealt. Doesnt mean a MA cannot deal with punishment but true fighters can be counted on now matter what.

Jimi hits, and kicks harder. Hes also nasty in the clinch. There's a reason he's only been to the second round twice in his career. The man is a murderer.

Rumble has way better wrestling and can "pour it on" with massive power striking in huge volume... For about 3.5 minutes. Then he's not getting the knockout.

I got Gus to finish him late in the second.

Arlovski does NOT have better hands than Gus, especially for MMA.

Gus has faster hands and can box while moving his feet something Arlosvki cannot do.

AA has to be set in his stance to fire punches, while Gus can skip around and fire from any angle.

Finally Arlovski has no heart, Gus has proven his over and over again. The second AA gets hit hard in the face he crumbles like Crocop, Overeem, or Mir.

This is the difference between a fighter and a Martial Artist. MA are not reliable when it comes to dealing with adversity, fighters find a way to win no matter how much damage they are dealt. Doesnt mean a MA cannot deal with punishment but true fighters can be counted on now matter what.

Arlosvky indeed has better hands. Sorry but that is how it is. Gus hasn't really proven anything as he hasnt fought hardly any of the top LHW's in the division.

I was gonna say power but those manuwa highlights were brutal. I think rumble is much more well rounded.

Back