What can Rumble offer to Gus that Manuwa didn't?

- Experience: Rumble > Manuwa
- Striking: Rumble > Manuwa
- Punching Power: Rumble = Manuwa (leaning towards Rumble here)
- Wrestling: Rumble > Manuwa (if Davis couldn't use his wrestling, I seriously doubt - - Gus will be able to do it)
- Resume: Rumble > Manuwa
- Chin: Rumble > Manuwa
- Cardio: Manuwa is untested

I don't think you can compare Manuwa and Rumble to predict the outcome of the fight. I think Gus is going to win via foot work, it's going to look a lot like the Shogun or the Silva fight. It's not going to be easy but he will be favored by the judges at the end. That's how I see it.

This. Those are the most relevant fights to this matchup.

Only Johnson is bigger than both, faster than both, and has a better chin than both. So it'll be interesting.

Pretty sure Manuwa could handle KOS.

Well lets see Manuwa cut down to WW and do it then. Manuwa wouldn't make it out of 1st round against somebody like Kos or Vitor.

Oh and Rumble is better everywhere the fight goes than Manuwa.

Is this even a real thing...Manuwa being even remotely good? He has fought only the bottom of the barrel where he is at and is still today.

Last edited:
Knocking out a dinosaur that hadn't fought in over a year and a half really isn't that impressive. Lil Nog is 38 years old and looked absolutely terrible there. He needs to retire.

But did he look that bad because of Rumble? I think so

Manuwa has one of the most devastating KOs ever recorded in MMA history against Luke Blythe. And how many UFC fights do you think he has had? He's had 4 fights and is 3-1 in the UFC, all wins coming by way of TKO due to his opponents not being able to continue / doctor stoppage. He broke Kingsbury's eye socket in three different places.

Okay? None of those guys are anywhere near top class fighters. My point was true, he has never finished a UFC opponent during the round by TKO/KO strikes.

He'd finished every fight leading up to the Gustafsson fight, in the cage or by retiring his opponents in between rounds. He isn't just an extremely powerful puncher, his techniques are nasty and devastating. He'll work the Thai clinch and break fighter's bones. Both have very legit one-shot knockout power.

Agreed, but Rumble has more ways to deliver that power because of his wrestling and GnP.

He beat him down but "almost murdered" is a stretch. He didn't even knock him down (I'm a Davis fan but let's keep it real). That was a very good matchup for Rumble, Phil's striking has always been his weakness. It's no secret. And if he can't take a fighter down with legit striking and KO power (Rumble for example) then he's in for a long painful night or a very short one.

Youre confused, he almost murdered Nog, not Davis. He did beat Davis down man, Davis was embarrassed in there and I like Phil.

It clearly isn't the same, but, it's indicative of the firepower that a fighter possesses. Look at McGregor and all of his knockout wins prior to coming to the UFC. Has that changed? No. He's knocked out 4 out of 5 of his opponents in the first 2 rounds as he was doing prior to getting into the UFC. Manuwa is very powerful, like Conor is, and regardless of competition if they land then they'll be stopping their opponents or at least giving them a beating from hell. Manuwa is still learning a lot and hasn't been around quite as long as Rumble so he's only going to get better and as a result even more dangerous when he adds more setups and improves his timing and footwork.

But thats the future, not right now. Rumble is right now.

Oh so Lil' nog is worth extra credit due to being a "legend" now? resting on his brothers laurels much?

he's had good fights, he's a good fighter. But he's on the same level as Tito, but without any belt.

Hear ye hear ye, who here doubts that gustafsson would demolish little nog?

I'll ask those expressing doubt again after saturday.

Much like his fans, Rumble is a front runner. He's all good if he's bludgeoning someone in the first round, but he folds when shit gets hairy.

He'll be in a real fight against Gus.

He's the classic million dollar arm, ten cent head. An MMA version of Jay Cutler.

Overall a better fighter than Manuwa, he's beaten a lot better guy's as well, this is going to be a hell of a fight for Gus, easily the most dangerous guy he's faced after Jon Jones.

People keep saying Rumble is bigger and stronger than Manuwa.

I'm not so sure about that. They are both pretty fucking big.

Alexander-Gustafsson-vs-Jimi-Manuwa-staredown.png

gus-rumble.0.0.jpg

If anything Jimi might be a lil bigger.

Much like his fans, Rumble is a front runner. He's all good if he's bludgeoning someone in the first round, but he folds when shit gets hairy.

He'll be in a real fight against Gus.

He's the classic million dollar arm, ten cent head. An MMA version of Jay Cutler.

Like when he couldn't finish Phil Davis in RD1 and struggled the rest of the fight...............oh wait.............

And TWO people have ever KO'd Lil Nog; Sokodjou in the flash KO in PRIDE and Rumble, who literally almost killed him.

Lil Nog has wins over Sakuraba, Overeem x2, Hendo, Tito, and Rashad.
Hes a great fighter, and was on a two fight winning streak (some say three and that he won the Phil Davis fight, but I thought Davis deserved the win) before Rumble beat him like Janay Rice.

Jimi is not bigger. Rumble isnt standing straight up, he is taller, and he is no doubt thicker and stronger. Look at him before he cuts weight, he is much bigger.

Heavy hands and a style that gives the best fighters fits

Jimi is not bigger. Rumble isnt standing straight up, he is taller, and he is no doubt thicker and stronger. Look at him before he cuts weight, he is much bigger.

I knew someone was going to post some dumb shit like this.

Let me throw a wrench into your dumb.

Rumble is wearing shoes and Jimi isn't.

Oh so Lil' nog is worth extra credit due to being a "legend" now? resting on his brothers laurels much?

he's had good fights, he's a good fighter. But he's on the same level as Tito, but without any belt.

Hear ye hear ye, who here doubts that gustafsson would demolish little nog?

I'll ask those expressing doubt again after saturday.

Who here doubts that Rumble would demolish Shogun or fucking Matyushenko?

Wrestling and tdd. Two things Gus used against Jimmy won't work against Rumble.

This. Those are the most relevant fights to this matchup.

Only Johnson is bigger than both, faster than both, and has a better chin than both. So it'll be interesting.

Rumble isn't bigger than Gustafsson and he's definitely not faster. When he explodes it's very short lived, like with any athlete with short powerful movements. It isn't sustainable speed, something that Gustafsson has an advantage in. Rumble is more powerful/explosive but for only one movement at a time.

But did he look that bad because of Rumble? I think so

Okay? None of those guys are anywhere near top class fighters. My point was true, he has never finished a UFC opponent during the round by TKO/KO strikes.

Agreed, but Rumble has more ways to deliver that power because of his wrestling and GnP.

Youre confused, he almost murdered Nog, not Davis. He did beat Davis down man, Davis was embarrassed in there and I like Phil.

But thats the future, not right now. Rumble is right now.

Jimi had stopped all of his opponents going into the Gus fight, it doesn't matter if they were beaten up so badly that the fight was stopped in between rounds or not. He has plenty of knockouts (TKO/KO) that have happened in the midst of the fight. You can't accurately judge his power on just 3 wins that he wasn't able to knock those few opponents out cold in the fights. Kingsbury is known for having an excellent chin and had only been TKO'd once in his career back in 2007 before Manuwa stopped him. Jimmo had only been TKO'd once too in his career in his very first fight back in 2007 before Manuwa stopped him by fucking up his leg with a beating that caused it to give out easily. Diabate had only been TKO'd once in his MMA career by Shogun via stomps back in 2006 before Manuwa stopped/retired him, though he also has a kickboxing record with 10 losses but it doesn't say how many if any of them were by knockout.

Nobody is arguing that Jimi has more knockouts against as good or better competition than Rumble does. What is being argued is Rumble having "significantly" more power than Manuwa, which he doesn't. Competition level aside, see for yourself. This guy had never been knocked out before in his career prior to Jimi flatlining him...

06_-_Jimi_Manuwa_vs_Luke_Blythe_-_UCMMA_6.gif

iMNgeo7piDj6c.gif

Kingsbury could've easily been finished by this 'in the fight', he literally got faceplanted:

tumblr_mb70ysaGYj1rr8wbto1_500.gif

Manuwa's monster GnP:

03_-_Jimi_Manuwa_vs_Chris_Greig_-_UCMMA_1_medium.gif

Jimi's nasty clinchwork with powerful knees (notice how badly he cuts him open):

10_-_Jimi_Manuwa_vs_Nick_Chapman_-_UCMMA_24.gif

More brutal exemplary punching power:

09_-_Jimi_Manuwa_vs_Valentino_Petrescu_-_UCMMA_14_medium.gif

Rumble doesn't hit much harder if he even does at all. That much is clear.

According to Cage Rank (cagerank.com), Manuwa is the #3 Pound-for-Pound Knockout artist while Rumble is the #5 Pound-for-Pound Knockout artist:

So either they don't take the level of competition much into consideration either or they do but don't dwell on it, choosing to look more at Sig. Strikes Landed Per Minute / KDs (Knockdowns) & KO rate/ratio.

Back