Weight training =slower punches

SmashNGrab

White Belt
Reaction score
I've heard for along time now that lifting weights slows your punching speed. I've never really paid it much mind with the exception of not lifting for two weeks before a fight. I always figured it was an old wives(boxers) tale. Anyone know if there is any truth to it?

no truth at all.
Liftin weights suppliments your punches.

Single handed snatches and sledgehammer-tire slams for the win.

depends on how you lift weights. There are a lot of boxers who don't lift weights but they do strength training through other methods. Very few boxers in the lower weight classes lift weights and if they do, its probably mostly high rep leg work outs.

Rinksterk, how do they train strength in other ways? like chin ups? pull ups? dips and such?

Rinksterk, how do they train strength in other ways? like chin ups? pull ups? dips and such?

From watching stuff on the net and TV, I've seen stuff like swinging sledgehammers, chin ups, sit ups, pulling rubber bands, medicine balls. But edited shit on tv isn't representative of strength training at the elite level.

The pros at my gym hardly(if ever) lift weights. My coach stresses pushups, medicine balls and rubberbands. The pros are shredded but they just don't "look" like they left weights. He told me not to bench so much but he did tell me to do a lot of reps on the leg machines if I wanna build up my legs. Actually now I think about it, one guy I know does lift weights and he is one of the better boxers at my gym. He does a shit load of reps with very light dumbells

Take this question over to S & P. Lifting properly (low reps, compound lifts, etc) will definately make you punch harder and faster. It's when you are training for hypertrophy (muscle size) that would slow you down. Look at olympic lifters, some of those guys are small as hell and are more explosive then any of us ever will be.

So, Rink, would the 5x5 routine with squats, benchpress, push press, and military press slow me down? right now im trying to build up my straight right power because im a counter fighter ( I have good reflexes)

just look at the training of historys best boxers.

i am pretty sure tyson lifted the weights hard, and he can punch pretty fast and hard.

just look at the training of historys best boxers.

i am pretty sure tyson lifted the weights hard, and he can punch pretty fast and hard.

but at the same time he MUST have trained his muscles explosively as well, the extra bulk of the arms can help increase the power of a punch but I think that the most important thing is the speed and snap of the punch which might slow down, never want to "muscle" a punch

Gotta stretch. If you just become molded into a roid monkeys body from all your lifting, of course you're going to punch slower. But if you stretch and stay limber, you can still snap your punches out just as effectively if not more.

but at the same time he MUST have trained his muscles explosively as well, the extra bulk of the arms can help increase the power of a punch but I think that the most important thing is the speed and snap of the punch which might slow down, never want to "muscle" a punch

well the hours of mitt work, heavy bags, speed bags, sparring, jump rope do all that for him.

if you are really training hard, then i dont think there would be any problems lifting weights however you want.

If you lift weights for short reps and high weight to build mass then YES your strikes will be slower and your flexibility might be affected too.

If you lift for low weight but high repetition then you are building lean muscle mass, creating "use" in the muscle fibers and also creating endurance in the muscle. This kind of lifting will help your speed and power (total force/speed)...

WRONG.

High reps are for hypertrophy (muscle size) low reps (5 and under) are for mostly for power. You will not get huge lifting in this manner. Once again, look at olympic lifters. They are strong as hell and they stay in a certain weight class. Not including the super heavy weights.

From watching stuff on the net and TV, I've seen stuff like swinging sledgehammers, chin ups, sit ups, pulling rubber bands, medicine balls. But edited shit on tv isn't representative of strength training at the elite level.

The pros at my gym hardly(if ever) lift weights. My coach stresses pushups, medicine balls and rubberbands. The pros are shredded but they just don't "look" like they left weights. He told me not to bench so much but he did tell me to do a lot of reps on the leg machines if I wanna build up my legs. Actually now I think about it, one guy I know does lift weights and he is one of the better boxers at my gym. He does a shit load of reps with very light dumbells

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/fedor+training/video/x3wrbp_fedor-training_sport

(video won't embed)

He's also said he does daily push ups.

so if I do lke 3x6 or like 5x5 I will get ko power and stay the same size pretty much? are you sure?

so if I do lke 3x6 or like 5x5 I will get ko power and stay the same size pretty much? are you sure?

yeah its magic....

common people use your brain... "will i get ko power" what kind of question is that. you will get STRONGER and "will i stay the same size" possibly, but you will put MASSon so you will gain some weight. muscle > fat for weight.

Back