Weight training =slower punches

A bodybulding weight regime will hinder your speed and stamina. More muscle requires more energy. Good power and strength stamina weight routine can help a lot, especially with explosiveness. Kettlebells pwn at for this.

Gotta stretch. If you just become molded into a roid monkeys body from all your lifting, of course you're going to punch slower. But if you stretch and stay limber, you can still snap your punches out just as effectively if not more.

i have never been able to get a good stretch alone....a partner totally helps. i wish i had one more often.

I'm a bit of a noob in this forum, but I've always been into fitness and lifting. Trained TMA a few years ago but I've lifted weights my whole life.

I've always had the impression that lower reps higher weight was the way to gain mass/ build muscle with the trade off being reduced speed and range of motion.

Because of my own body type (long, wiry) I've always lifted low to medium weight with high reps thinking I'm building some strength but more importantly muscle endurance and still keeping full range of motion and explosiveness.

I agree that stretching is vital, it's always been a part of my routine. I'm still convinced that when I do lift low/reps- high/lbs. I feel limited in my speed/R.O.M. Is it a matter of body type or what?

any implications about strength and muscle mass slowing punching speed are entirely false. speed is gained through technique and the ability to generate power. if you lose your flexibility and plyometric (explosive) strength because you are lifting foolishly.. then the fault is your own, not the weight. to say the weight lifting is at fault is a poor excuse.

Care to give a quick example of 'foolish' vs. proper lifting as I am noobish.

Care to give a quick example of 'foolish' vs. proper lifting as I am noobish.

Stick to explosive, compound movements. Train fast and explosive and you will be fast and explosive.

Olympic and powerlifting movements, keep the reps low and the weight high.

Mass is what happens when you pile on the fork reps.

I've always had the impression that lower reps higher weight was the way to gain mass/ build muscle with the trade off being reduced speed and range of motion.

This impression is wrong.

I'm a bit of a noob in this forum, but I've always been into fitness and lifting. Trained TMA a few years ago but I've lifted weights my whole life.

Because of my own body type (long, wiry) I've always lifted low to medium weight with high reps thinking I'm building some strength but more importantly muscle endurance and still keeping full range of motion and explosiveness.

I agree that stretching is vital, it's always been a part of my routine. I'm still convinced that when I do lift low/reps- high/lbs. I feel limited in my speed/R.O.M. Is it a matter of body type or what?

WTF.bmp

FWIW, Oly lifters are some of the fastest athletes in the world.

A bodybulding weight regime will hinder your speed and stamina. More muscle requires more energy. Good power and strength stamina weight routine can help a lot, especially with explosiveness. Kettlebells pwn at for this.

Care to provide any evidence for this? I have yet to see any studies showing that a "bodybuilding" routine hinders speed and stamina. Chuck Liddell does what most would call a "bodybuilding" routine.

Dips, chins, bodyweight speed squats, and a shit load of core excercises are what I use to create power in my punches.

I would qualify as a medium sized guy.

Take this question over to S & P. Lifting properly (low reps, compound lifts, etc) will definately make you punch harder and faster. It's when you are training for hypertrophy (muscle size) that would slow you down. Look at olympic lifters, some of those guys are small as hell and are more explosive then any of us ever will be.

Please LORD post this thread in the S&P

I felt lifting heavy actually improves speed,as long as you practice your skills/stretch/RECOVER. If you don't give your CNS rest, of course you're gonna feel sluggish. After 2-3 days after lifting heavy, I feel like a beast, so your theory is wrong.

All you have to do is watch old videos of Bruce Lee for proof that weight training does not slow you down. This is one of the oldest myths around that just won't die. People will look at a superheavyweight powerlifter and comment that he's slow. But he's not training for fighting! He's training to lift the most amount of weight possible for a single rep. That's hardly the same thing as someone who does his punching and kicking practice along with lifting weights.

I've heard for along time now that lifting weights slows your punching speed. I've never really paid it much mind with the exception of not lifting for two weeks before a fight. I always figured it was an old wives(boxers) tale. Anyone know if there is any truth to it?

Two kinds of muscle fiber, fast twitch and slow twitch. Punching is a fast twitch activity. Lifting weights won't make you slow but it won't make you faster either. Specificity of training requires that you punch fast to make faster punching ability.

All you have to do is watch old videos of Bruce Lee for proof that weight training does not slow you down. This is one of the oldest myths around that just won't die. People will look at a superheavyweight powerlifter and comment that he's slow. But he's not training for fighting! He's training to lift the most amount of weight possible for a single rep. That's hardly the same thing as someone who does his punching and kicking practice along with lifting weights.

Dunce.

1) Bruce Lee lifted weights, and;
2) Bruce Lee was an actor, not a fighter.

Back