Weight training =slower punches

Harder + faster punches

Agreed

I have been lifting since I started thai boxing and kept it up throughout my training and while I've been fighting.

It is nothing but a tool.

Used correctly it is a excellent supplement

Used incorrectly without knowledge of what you are doing it is a poor application of a tool and will slow you down.

Either way the tool is not to blame but your application

Weight training can be a VERY important tool if done correctly (like many others have said), but you MUST be explosive in your movements.

-Slow and half-assed reps = slow and half-assed strikes
-With every rep exert maximum force as fast as you can and maintain control.

This will recruit as many muscle fibers as possible and muscle memory will apply your explosive movements.

ive heard many things, things completely opposite from the other...

ive heard lower reps, heavier weight is better for speed and power...

ive heard higher reps and lower weight is better for speed and power..

hahahaha
as u can see it was confusing!!!

i think personally it has alot to do with what excercises you are doing..

ive heard many things, things completely opposite from the other...

ive heard lower reps, heavier weight is better for speed and power...

ive heard higher reps and lower weight is better for speed and power..

hahahaha
as u can see it was confusing!!!

i think personally it has alot to do with what excercises you are doing..

yea I agree with you..I think curls are the biggest no no..

i've always felt that boxers and fighters lose speed while weight training because they focus too much on weight training

if you take time out of your training schedule to go weight train and your not training fighting enough of course your going to slow down. people always say that weight training is what makes people lose their flexibility and speed but the truth is is that while weight training people neglect things like stretching and mits and bag work to keep up the motions and the speed and to keep the muscles working

one time i lifted for about 4 weeks and neglected mits and i'm able to go 12 rounds easily on the mits. after lifting all that time and not doing mits i came back and could hardly muscle out 8 rounds.

moral of the story is you've got to train everything, from weights, to sparring, drills, stretching you can't add one thing and neglect another

I've not read the whole thread and this has probably been pointed out a dozen times already, but: the notion that weight training --> more muscle mass --> slower reflexes and less raw speed is nothing more than a misconception that got repeated enough times to be considered as fact decades ago (see: "muscle bound" or "muscle binding") which despite being refuted by disciplined, scientifically-rigorous studies and a mountain of anecdotal evidence the size of K2 refuses to die the death it deserves.

If you make sure to mix in enough speed training and/or exercises that can enhance speed and power (isometrics and plyometrics, for example, which have increased in popularity) you should perform well.

P.S. no matter how you train, some dude out there is gonna be fast enough to make you look like you're asleep...and you might meet him in the ring at your next bout. Those are just the breaks, and must be dealt with strategy and experience.

Back