Weight training =slower punches

i think stretching is one of the biggest overlooked things in any training. i stretch before during and after class and see people who have lots of problems getting there feet past there waist. im sure it helps speed and many other things.

i dont think stretching is the be all end all for speed, but i cant see it not helping.

i always though that stretching is a good part of any training or exercising.

There are 3 major parts to being fit

Stregth
Endurance
Flexability

in my opinion it is best to vary workouts always. your body gets used to doing the same things constantly and you get less out of the workouts. So variety and doing both types of workouts are key I think. Also i just like to shadowbox afterwards for form and that in some ways acts as a stretching exercises, loosens up my muscles, helps retain form obviously too

I always lift two times a day, twice a week. Usually on a monday and then on a friday, never on days i roll. Wearing heavier boxing gloves (16 ounce) will help build your speed and power when moving down to MMA gloves. You should practice with both as both have differences about them.

rep range or what type of lift you choose to use are not deciding factors when it comes to increasing striking speed, what does is the speed you perform the reps at.
muscle contract thats all thay really do so if you want to do cable crossovers or bench presses ect for 100 reps or 1 want make a difference to your punch speed if your not contracting those fibres as fast as possible.

look at powerlifters like and bolton ect thay spend most of there workouts doinf speed work.

Your fist and your arm has weight, you need enough muscle to throw at an effective speed, power and endurance but too much muscle is extra weight slowing you down and sapping your endurance. Have to get the balance right & focus on extension force. Look at Anderson Silva's physique.

i think stretching is one of the biggest overlooked things in any training. i stretch before during and after class and see people who have lots of problems getting there feet past there waist. im sure it helps speed and many other things.

i dont think stretching is the be all end all for speed, but i cant see it not helping.

Not only speed, But i mean it like this. You can lift weights, and start putting on some bulk, which of course translates to everyone as slower punches. But if you stretch, even if you have that extra bulk, it will not matter.

If you lift weights for short reps and high weight to build mass then YES your strikes will be slower and your flexibility might be affected too.

If you lift for low weight but high repetition then you are building lean muscle mass, creating "use" in the muscle fibers and also creating endurance in the muscle. This kind of lifting will help your speed and power (total force/speed)...

cluelessmp7.jpg

If you do it scientifically, with focus and method, you will improve your power and overall speed. Think about it this way: ever other professional sport, where speed power and endurance are critical, lifts weights. Why shouldn't a fighter?

It's very sad that this myth that lifting weights makes you slower still exists.

The simple fact is if you lift weights like a body builder it will slow you down.

If you lift weights like an athlete and periodise your speed of movement it will increase your speed and power the same way that it does for every other sport that requires speed and power.

Yea they help ur punches but i mean if your a straight up muscle bound head ur punches will mean shit.

Also remember different strokes for different folks.

Some people preform better with BW Routines, others Kettlebells, others heavy weights, some even BB routines...Test it out and find out what your body best responds to

The simple fact is if you lift weights like a body builder it will slow you down.

First of all "like a bodybuilder" is a loaded statement. There are tons of different BBers that train in dozens of different ways. There are also slow lumbering muscle bound BBers and BBers that move like fucking ninjas. There are also people that do olympic lifts, sledgehammers, flip tires, and do all that other shit and move like molasses.

Honestly I think handspeed is largely an inborn talent. Weight training is supposed to improve strength and condition, not the speed of your punches

weights trained properly works ur fast twitch muscles for speed. if accompanied by technique training and plyos. u need endurance training sometimes though, since too much fast twitch muscles make u tire fast.

weights trained properly works ur fast twitch muscles for speed. if accompanied by technique training and plyos. u need endurance training sometimes though, since too much fast twitch muscles make u tire fast.

You realize a person's fast twitch muscle ratio is genetic and cannot be changed, right?

Basically as long as you stretch and still do your punching work, mitts bag and the like, you will be fine.

Back