Weidman vs Lyoto, Luke, Jacare, Vitor, Moose, Sonnen

If Weidman beats all those guys, then he's behind JBJ in championship resumes. JBJ hands down has the best championship resume of any UFC champion and this is coming from a guy who is a "JBJ's hater".

No, it's GSP and not even close. LHW is the 2nd weakest division there is, worse than MW, which is the biggest knock on Silva.

And this coming from a guy who thinks JBJ could end up the GOAT.

Tell me how many WW champions moved up to MW to reign as champion than also dominated at LHW 3 times. Not an easy thing to do and is very impressive IMO.

1. He wasn't a UFC WW.
2. Those LHWs you "ironically" left unnamed are James Irvin, Forest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar. All of which were easy match-ups for Anderson. Anderson was/is great, but if Weidman beats all of those guys, then he surpasses Anderson.

No, it's GSP and not even close. LHW is the 2nd weakest division there is, worse than MW, which is the biggest knock on Silva.

I wouldn't call Machida, Rampage, Evans, Shogun, and Vitor weak...

I wouldn't call Machida, Rampage, Evans, Shogun, and Vitor weak...

Vitor is a MW. Machida is a MW. Rampage was past his prime. Shogun past his prime. Evans is good nothing super amazing.

LHW is the 2nd weakest division there is. That doesn't mean JBJ isn't amazing, he is, the division still sucks. Gus is Jones best win.

ETA: MW was terrible too for a long time. The recent infusion of talent has been amazing.

Vitor is a MW. Machida is a MW. Rampage was past his prime. Shogun past his prime. Evans is good nothing super amazing.

LHW is the 2nd weakest division there is. That doesn't mean JBJ isn't amazing, he is, the division still sucks. Gus is Jones best win.

ETA: MW was terrible too for a long time. The recent infusion of talent has been amazing.

Wow. Yeah, it's useless to talk about this with you...

Silva was not a UFC WW champ, and he did not fight any true challenges at LHW. He's the #1 or #2 GOAT .. but let's be honest about things.

I never said he was the UFC WW champion. But Anderson was 168 pound Shooto champion. Although Shooto consider 168 to be middleweight division, we consider fighters below 170 and above 156 as WWs. So Anderson was a champ at 168 pounds, a champ at 185 pounds, and also won fights at 205. Impressive when you ask yourself if there is any other WW on the planet who could do that.

I never said he was the UFC WW champion. But Anderson was 168 pound Shooto champion. Although Shooto consider 168 to be middleweight division, we consider fighters below 170 and above 156 as WWs.

Which has no bearing on the discussion. The only place with competition at 170 and below was WEC. I would place being WEC champ equal to or even superior to being a UFC champ at some weight classes at certain points.

Wow. Yeah, it's useless to talk about this with you...

Because you can't disagree with a single statement I made. I showed you how wrong you were and rather than accept it and move on you want to act like you are right, but are unable to refute a single point.

Sonnen was top 10 at LHW. Sonnen sucks at LHW. He beat Shogun. LHW is terrible the only division weaker is HW, and honestly that is even questionable right now.

The timespan between different GOATS is getting shorter and shorter.

Next thing you know it will be:

Is Weidman GOAT ? No ? How about now ? No ? And now ? How about now ? Now ?

The timespan between different GOATS is getting shorter and shorter.

Next thing you know it will be:

Is Weidman GOAT ? No ? How about now ? No ? And now ? How about now ? Now ?

I agree. That is why I specifically stated I think Weidman would have better wins, but not the GOAT yet. GOAT is more than looking at someone's best 3 wins.

What?

JBJ's Resume:
Shogun-Former UFC champ.
Rampage-Former UFC champ.
Lyoto-Former UFC champ.HOFer
Rashad-Former UFC champ. HOFer
Vitor-Former UFC champ. HOFer
Chael- 2x MW title contender.
Gus- #1 contender. Good fighter.
Glover- Undefeated for years. Good fighter.

GSP's Resume:
Hughes-HOFer/Legend.
Serra-Nothing special.
Fitch-Good fighter.
BJ Penn- HOFer/Legend.
Alves-Decent fighter at best.
Hardy-Ummm, need I say more.
Koscheck-Good fighter.
Shields-Good wins, decent fighter.
Condit-Good fighter.
Diaz-Loss to every wrestler faced.
Hendricks-Current champ. Solid.

The only thing GSP has over JBJ is title wins. JBJ faced the more dangerous competition. If JBJ didn't exist, all those guys could be holding the belt at one point currently. I can't say that about alot of the guys on GSP's list.

Because you can't disagree with a single statement I made. I showed you how wrong you were and rather than accept it and move on you want to act like you are right, but are unable to refute a single point.

BJ Penn - FW
Koscheck - Good wrestler nothing else
Alves - Nothing special
Condit - Ok striker, sucks at wrestling
Diaz - Ok striker, sucks at wrestling

See how easy it is to make up BS to discredit someone? His best win is Shields. At least with Bones, you can say they were former champs...

Stop saying BS and I'll be happy do discuss it with you.

1. He wasn't a UFC WW.
2. Those LHWs you "ironically" left unnamed are James Irvin, Forest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar. All of which were easy match-ups for Anderson. Anderson was/is great, but if Weidman beats all of those guys, then he surpasses Anderson.

Never said he was a UFC ww champion.

I don't think you know the meaning of irony...

I'm not into the whole easy matchup thing, you can say that about any fighter. Forrest Griffin is a former LHW champion and was never dominated by another LHW the way Anderson beat him. People didn't start putting Forrest down until Anderson beat him. Nobody was saying easy matchup until after Anderson won. Everyone was saying how Forrest' toughness would make it an interesting fight. You can look back if you don't remember. If Weidman gets passed all those guys listed, sure, I'd say he has a better MW resume.

Last edited:

JBJ's Resume:
Shogun-Former UFC champ.
Past his prime lost to Sonnen

Past his prime and was looking awful prior to the fight.

Natural MW who was champ because LHW sucks

Nothing special

MW fighter

MW fighter who looks awfu at LHW

You list him as "good fighter" yet this is his best win by far.

Plays into JBJ game too much probably his 2nd best win, definitely solid win.

Hilarious how you talk up JBJ wins and talk down GSP's. GSP has by far the best resume and it's not even the same ballpark.

Wins vs. fighters ranked in the top 5.
16 = GSP (not including Penn)
3 = Jones (not including Sonnen and Vitor)

Yeah you are right .....

Which has no bearing on the discussion. The only place with competition at 170 and below was WEC. I would place being WEC champ equal to or even superior to being a UFC champ at some weight classes at certain points.

I noticed you left out my point " So Anderson was a champ at 168 pounds, a champ at 185 pounds, and also won fights at 205. Impressive when you ask yourself if there is any other WW on the planet who could do that. "

Let me know when a fighter fighting below 170, captures the 185 pound belt, holds it for years, and also dominates fighters at 205.

BJ Penn - FW
Koscheck - Good wrestler nothing else
Alves - Nothing special
Condit - Ok striker, sucks at wrestling
Diaz - Ok striker, sucks at wrestling

See how easy it is to make up BS to discredit someone? His best win is Shields. At least with Bones, you can say they were former champs...

Stop saying BS and I'll be happy do discuss it with you.

I discount BJ penn myself.
Koscheck nothing else? No punching power hahahahaha.
Alves nothing special? The guy Sherdog said would demolish GSP?
Condit, the guy who forced Hendricks to use Lay n Pray and was WEC champ and is in his PRIME
Diaz I also discount.

GSP has 16 top 5 wins moron. JBJ has 3. You are clueless.

What?

JBJ's Resume:
Shogun-Former UFC champ.

GSP's Resume:
Hughes-HOFer/Legend.
Serra-Nothing special.
Fitch-Good fighter.
BJ Penn- HOFer/Legend.
Alves-Decent fighter at best.
Hardy-Ummm, need I say more.
Koscheck-Good fighter.
Shields-Good wins, decent fighter.
Condit-Good fighter.
Diaz-Loss to every wrestler faced.
Hendricks-Current champ. Solid.

The only thing GSP has over JBJ is title wins. JBJ faced the more dangerous competition. If JBJ didn't exist, all those guys could be holding the belt at one point currently. I can't say that about alot of the guys on GSP's list.

Jones' opponents have better wins than GSP's opponents. Way more ranked wins on average because LHW was the best division for a decade (and GSP was champ during that time). Fitch, Alves, Hardy, Serra, Kos and Diaz have barely a dozen ranked wins combined. Rampage & Shogun have as much alone, Lyoto & Rashad aren't far behind.

People complain a lot of Sonnen & Vitor, but both have more ranked wins in MMA than GSP's weakest title challengers, Hardy & Serra.

I noticed you left out my point " So Anderson was a champ at 168 pounds, a champ at 185 pounds, and also won fights at 205. Impressive when you ask yourself if there is any other WW on the planet who could do that. "

Let me know when a fighter fighting below 170, captures the 185 pound belt, holds it for years, and also dominates fighters at 205.

He was not a WW champ in an organization that matters. Rumble could have been champ at 170, 185, 205, and 265 .. if he fought some of them outside the UFC. What's your point? If Silva is a 168lb guy why was he refusing to fight GSP at 170 since Silva is obviously a champ at that weight class?

Most of the claims are based on the fact that this or that division is "super weak" and it appear that it is a always a subjective or retroactive point of view.

When ppl say that LHW is a super weak division, they compare it to which one ? WW and LW are the deepest for some time now. But which other are better than LHW ?
HW is basically dead (unless Werdum pulls an upset or JDS and Browne gain fight IQ), FW only wait an Aldo loss or move to 155, BW is a question mark, FLW is cleaned out.

MW is interesting now because the most dominant champ is gone. Plus one of the contender is a former 205 champion, who would be the #2 or #3 contender if he would still be at his weightclass.

The thing is, people don't understand a division often appear "weak" because a dominant champion made it look like that. Before Jones came, LHW was super competitive. Gread fighters losing to an even greater one doesn't make them cans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back