Weekly Routine (Veteran Advice Needed)

OldVet61

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm just starting to try to get serious about lifting and I will be doing it 3 days a week and these are my routines for each of those days. I would like some feedback from the veterans to gain some opinions. Thanks.

Press Routine
Bench Press
Incline Press
Skull Crushers
Front Raises
Dumbell Flies
Incline Flies

Pull Routine
Deadlift
Barbell Rows
Upright Rows
Dumbbell Rows
Barbell Curls
Reverse Curls
Barbell Wrist Curls
Dumbbell Reverse Wrist Curls

Squat Routine
Squats
Pause Squats
Leg Extensions
Hamstring Curls
Calf Raises

too much. get rid of flies, upright rows, pick either bb rows or db rows, not both, dont bother with wrist curls, if you feel the need to do curls, do one variation only. do pullups....better yet, heres what might be good:

mon:
pull:
deadlift
bent over bb rows
pullups
curls (reverse or hammer preferably)
abs

wed:
press:
bench
incline
skullcrushers
abs

fri:
squat:
squat
pause squat
good mornings
calf raises
abs

low reps on main lifts (1-5)(bench, squat, deads, etc), 6-8 reps on heavy assistance (BB rows, incline press, GMs,etc), 8-10 on light assistance (curls, skullcrushers,etc)

anybody else feel free to pick this apart.

Metafour said:
I'm just starting to try to get serious about lifting and I will be doing it 3 days a week and these are my routines for each of those days. I would like some feedback from the veterans to gain some opinions. Thanks.

Press Routine
Bench Press
Incline Press
Skull Crushers
Front Raises
Dumbell Flies
Incline Flies

Pull Routine
Deadlift
Barbell Rows
Upright Rows
Dumbbell Rows
Barbell Curls
Reverse Curls
Barbell Wrist Curls
Dumbbell Reverse Wrist Curls

Squat Routine
Squats
Pause Squats
Leg Extensions
Hamstring Curls
Calf Raises

way, way too much. Especially your pull routine.

rEmY said:
too much. get rid of flies, upright rows, pick either bb rows or db rows, not both, dont bother with wrist curls, if you feel the need to do curls, do one variation only. do pullups....better yet, heres what might be good:

mon:
pull:
deadlift
bent over bb rows
pullups
curls (reverse or hammer preferably)
abs

wed:
press:
bench
incline
skullcrushers
abs

fri:
squat:
squat
pause squat
good mornings
calf raises
abs

low reps on main lifts (1-5)(bench, squat, deads, etc), 6-8 reps on heavy assistance (BB rows, incline press, GMs,etc), 8-10 on light assistance (curls, skullcrushers,etc)

anybody else feel free to pick this apart.

He could even drop the curls and one day of abs.

Pull Routine
Deadlift
Bent over Barbell Rows
Romainian Deadlifts
Thickbar curls

Press Routine
Bench Press
Incline Press
Dips
Overhead press

Squat Routine
Squats
Pause squats
SLDL
pullups

I tried to get rid of your horse shit exercises. and replaced some of them with better ones.

general rule keep it heavy, simple, compound and eliminate all that specialization crap.

Urban said:
Pull Routine
Deadlift
Bent over Barbell Rows
Romainian Deadlifts
Thickbar curls

Press Routine
Bench Press
Incline Press
Dips
Overhead press

Squat Routine
Squats
Pause squats
SLDL
pullups

I tried to get rid of your horse shit exercises. and replaced some of them with better ones.

IMO you don't need both Romainian Deadlifts and SLDL.

also

Do all you guys have thickbars at your gyms? wtf?? I want one!!!

if your drug free keep your sets around 12-15...not including abs and warmup sets.

Wrecking Ball said:
BWAHAHAHA, and by drugs you mean what exactly?

Roids. They don't only change the loads you can handle, but the volume as well. You recover lightning fast.

Man, I could never manage the sets of 3 reps without the massive amounts of roids I inject directly into my brain.

rEmY said:

I disagree about the omission of db rows OR bb rows. I think these exercises compliment each other nicely. I would, however, concentrate more effort on the BB rows.

FATKID said:
I disagree about the omission of db rows OR bb rows. I think these exercises compliment each other nicely. I would, however, concentrate more effort on the BB rows.

i didnt mean to exclude one completely, but rather switch off every now and then.

Thanks alot guys I appreciate all your feedback greatly. If I am to drop wrist curls what is another way to get stronger forearms? My forearms and wrists are quite thin and I have injured my wrists in the past with boxing.

Metafour said:
Thanks alot guys I appreciate all your feedback greatly. If I am to drop wrist curls what is another way to get stronger forearms? My forearms and wrists are quite thin and I have injured my wrists in the past with boxing.

Farmer walks. Plate pinches. Hell, keep doing your wrist curls if you feel they help.

FCFighter316 said:
Pause Squats <--dunno about what/how those are i do front squats

Simple, you pause in the hole and wait over 2 seconds, thus killing the stretch reflex and making it much harder to power out. I've actually started doing these because the hole kicks my ass. Whether they are better then say front squats, I have no idea.

Duncon76 said:
If your an athlete??? Bad routine. If not, does not matter.
I'm not competing in any sports I just train MMA & I'm a little light I'm 5'11/165lbs and I want to bulk up and gain some strength.

Madmick said:
Roids. They don't only change the loads you can handle, but the volume as well. You recover lightning fast.

You're correct.
In some ways you require FEWER reps and sets when using roids.

Back