Weed makes you better

what about acid/lsd...?

Anyone who would consider that has either A. Never tried the drug or B. Uses it so much that he has become unjustifiably comfortable tripping lol.

Seriously some would tell you its hard to even look someone in the eye let alone sit through and participate in a full BJJ class.

Do you use marijuana?

Not regularly but I never turn down an offer to smoke somebody else's weed haha. Really shit just makes me lazy and I don't get stuff done which is why I choose not to smoke it with any regularity. I understand it affects different people different ways, just my personal thing.

This really varies a lot with the ratio of THC to cannabinoids present in the sample/strain you're smoking. A higher THC to cannabinoid ratio inhibits short term memory, but a lower ratio has shown little to no effect.

Yeah I agree the quantity comes into play and is a pretty big factor. Everyone has different chemical makeups and so will be affected differently. One of my psych teachers had use look at research that showed that long term use by adolescents during important stages of brain development can really mess with ya. Don't have a source because all the material was printed out.

This thread has got pretty derailed and doesn't have much to do with grappling. Should probably be in the mayberry.

I've never rolled high b4. I enjoy watching BJJ vids high though. Weed slows me down and helps me see the small nuances of a technique that really make it effective.

Personally, I have made some major breakthroughs while high. I am never high during training, as I find that rather disrespectful to my instructors and training partners. However, there are times after training when I smoke and it allows me to synthesize information a lot better. It has also allowed me to apply a lot of what I learn in BJJ to real life (at risk of sounding hokey here).

I'm the same way. After a hard days training, toking really gets me thinking about bjj deeper than I otherwise would have sober. I replay every roll in my head and sometimes discover a flaw in my technique or a mistake that I was repeating from a certain position. Rolling high is a fun and relaxing, but I think its the reflective aspects that make weed valuable to Bjj. Its not going to make a bad player good, but maybe help that bad player get better quicker.

As others have said, weed doesn't make you better at anything. For some, it can have a calming or focusing effect, but smoking anything isn't good for your lungs. Here are a list of possible adverse side effects Weed can have (from a pro- weed website, Marijuana Passion):
Physical Adverse Effects of Marijuana
Dry mouth
Nausea
Headache
Tremor
Decreased coordination Increased heart rate
Altered pulmonary status
Altered body temperature
Reduced muscle strength
Decreased cerebral blood flow
Increased food consumption

Neuropsychiatric Adverse Effects of Marijuana

Anxiety and panic
Paranoia
Confusion
Aggressiveness
Hallucinations
Sedation
Altered libido Possible suicidal ideation
Depersonalization
Derealization
Poor sense of time
Worsened short-term memory
Addictive behaviors
Amotivational syndrome

Personally, when I blaze the last thing I want to do is train. As Kat Williams says, "Hungry, Happy, Sleepy"- the 3 side effects of weed. I go back to my base, pleasure seeking impulses- eating, seeking entertainment, and trying to fornicate

I'm the same way. After a hard days training, toking really gets me thinking about bjj deeper than I otherwise would have sober. I replay every roll in my head and sometimes discover a flaw in my technique or a mistake that I was repeating from a certain position. Rolling high is a fun and relaxing, but I think its the reflective aspects that make weed valuable to Bjj. Its not going to make a bad player good, but maybe help that bad player get better quicker.

This is what I find humorous about people who smoke weed, thinking that smoking it can help their brain do something that, for some reason, they couldn't do sober.

You're wrong.

Weed helps with pain management/soreness from rolling, but I can't see how it would help with actual rolling. I smoked up before class once, ended up not going. Got lazy and had a munchie attack.

As others have said, weed doesn't make you better at anything. For some, it can have a calming or focusing effect, but smoking anything isn't good for your lungs. Here are a list of possible adverse side effects Weed can have (from a pro- weed website, Marijuana Passion):

Personally, when I blaze the last thing I want to do is train. As Kat Williams says, "Hungry, Happy, Sleepy"- the 3 side effects of weed. I go back to my base, pleasure seeking impulses- eating, seeking entertainment, and trying to fornicate

Aggressiveness (from your quote)? I don't buy that one. I've never seen an aggressive pot smoker in my life...and I know a lot of pot heads.

it definitely makes you better. weed helped me get my purple belt after a year and a half. as long as i keep smoking the black belt will be coming soon. haha

i just need to start doing lsd and maybe crack. black belt world champion for sure

Is aggressiveness even a real word (outside of America)?

I didn't read the whole thread because it is probably full of the anti crowd saying drugs are bad & you're a moron & the stoner crowd stating um....nuh uh. :rolleyes:
Plain simple FACTS (backed up by lots of research)-
1) smoking pot disrupts short term memory retention due to the large amount of CB1 receptors on the hippocampus.
2) It affects motor skills (detrimental)
3) It slows reflexes.
4) It inhibits your attention span.

So to sum up: smoking pot causes you to not pay attention, causes you to not remember what you're trying to train, slows down your reflexes & messes up your hand eye coordination.

Sounds like a recipe for success in any sport to me........... IF I was stoned that is.:rolleyes:

I fully expect the standard pot smokers rebuttal of nuh uh since the physiological facts are well documented & indisputable.

basically if smoking weed improved bjj there would probably be a statue of me in rio and id travel the world in my hemp gi doing seminars on how to smoke.

unfortunately it doesnt, so im an out of shape white belt lol

I didn't read the whole thread because it is probably full of the anti crowd saying drugs are bad & you're a moron & the stoner crowd stating um....nuh uh. :rolleyes:
Plain simple FACTS
(backed up by lots of research)-
1) smoking pot disrupts short term memory retention due to the large amount of CB1 receptors on the hippocampus.
2) It affects motor skills (detrimental)
3) It slows reflexes.
4) It inhibits your attention span.

So to sum up: smoking pot causes you to not pay attention, causes you to not remember what you're trying to train, slows down your reflexes & messes up your hand eye coordination.

Sounds like a recipe for success in any sport to me........... IF I was stoned that is.:rolleyes:

I fully expect the standard pot smokers rebuttal of nuh uh since the physiological facts are well documented & indisputable.

These two statements basically mean that you ave no idea what you're talking about because you discredit every post to one of two categories that you made up based on facts that you pulled out of your ass.

Also, "Backed up by lots of research" is total BS. The reason it isn't completely illegal or legal is because no one has any factual evidence on the topic. No one knows if the long term effects are good or bad or if the short term effects need to be taken on a case by case basis or not. The study of THC is relatively new so these "facts" you speak of are changing almost every month.

Last edited:
Aggressiveness (from your quote)? I don't buy that one. I've never seen an aggressive pot smoker in my life...and I know a lot of pot heads.

I agree, I thought that was a bit odd too. IDK, maybe there are some guys out there who smoke pot and then just want to fight.

IMO, the most detrimental potential side effects are it's effects on your coordination & strength, as well as your internal body temp & heart rate. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can smoke and do jits, but to be honest I only smoke in social settings anyway. Getting lit before jits/ MT/ boxing just doesn't sound appealing to me.

This is what I find humorous about people who smoke weed, thinking that smoking it can help their brain do something that, for some reason, they couldn't do sober.

You're wrong.

How can you say someone's experience is "wrong"? Their experience is totally subjective.

Like I stated in my previous post, I have had realizations that I did not have while sober. How can you discredit anyone's experience based on some blanket opinion that you have?

You're wrong.

Woah dude, that's just what the Man wants you to think man.

Back