Weed makes you better

bigrig31

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys think? Do you think that weed has an effect on the performance of an athlete? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Just want to know because I want to prove a point to my dumbass teammates. any research or proof would be great too!@ thanks guys.

What do you guys think? Do you think that weed has an effect on the performance of an athlete? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Just want to know because I want to prove a point to my dumbass teammates. any research or proof would be great too!@ thanks guys.

let me guess, you believe weed will make you better. and you stated this belief to your "dumbass teammates", right? then they probably said you're crazy, and asked you to give them some sort of proof.

so, you come to sherdog to get proof that weed makes you better.

just wanted to make sure i'm getting all this...

i've heard that weed will not affect everyone the same way. if this is true, then i would say that the broad statement that "weed makes you better" would have to be false.

Of course it makes you better, smoke up I see a Pan Am title in your future.

No weed wont make you better. But it apparently makes you delusional.

Weed makes you better at being high.

Training makes you better at BJJ.

It's really pretty simple if you aren't a stoned dumb ass.

Weed enhances the creativity of artists, so why not martial artists? :icon_lol:

These thread bring out the retard in people. You jackasses are making blanket statements like what wprks or doesn't work for you applies to everyone. Weed obviously helps some people or they wouldnt advocate it. It helps me when I'm rolling as long as im not too high (as in i didn't smoke a bowl 10 minutes before rolling) I stay much more calm and really plan put my moves. There is an obvious benefit for me when rolling and learning new moves. The problem is acting stoned in front of you team mates

These thread bring out the retard in people. You jackasses are making blanket statements like what wprks or doesn't work for you applies to everyone. Weed obviously helps some people or they wouldnt advocate it. It helps me when I'm rolling as long as im not too high (as in i didn't smoke a bowl 10 minutes before rolling) I stay much more calm and really plan put my moves. There is an obvious benefit for me when rolling and learning new moves. The problem is acting stoned in front of you team mates

While I understand what you are saying, this statement is logically incorrect.

There are numerous reasons, beyond the fact that it actually makes them better, that might encourage someone to advocate it.

Smoking weed is essentially just putting chemicals into your body. And everyone reacts differently based on their own chemical balances as well as tolerances. I could defiantly see how smoking weed can help people in MMA/BJJ/Etc. As for me it tends to not work. However, other drugs have helped with certain aspects of my game.

For example: I smoked before class one time and basically I didn't want to do anything. Drilling was fine but rolling sucked. I just didn't want to do it or be that physical. So... weed did not work for me.

However, I'm diagnosed with Panic Disorder and sometimes I get panic attacks and have to take Xanax. Unfortunatly, I sometimes have to take the pills close to when I have to go to class so I can't help but be a little bit loopy still when I show up. I've noticed that when taking Xanax and then rolling I am able to stay much calmer in bad situations and my game changes into a very strategic almost chess like form (Which is kind of silly because Xanax is supposed to shut off your brain). When I am not on it I tend to react much more instinctually without thinking as much.

Lately I've been trying to turn my game into much more of a thinking game regardless of whether I am on something or not and it's working. Proving (to me at least) that drugs can help your game but not in a way that cannot be achieved through a normal sober mind. The drugs may be able to make it easier to do certain things but if you set your mind to it you should be able to do it regardless of mindset (it may just take more practice).

I smoke lots of weed. It has neither helped nor hindered my grappling. Don't see why on earth I would smoke and than train though, but that's just me.

there is even research about ADD/ADHD and marijuana being done now

And as others have said it can be used to enhance creativity so...

As long as people are being respectful about it I wouldn't care

Me on the other hand could use some speed, I hear it is a great diet:D

You're not going to prove anything to anybody, sorry. Just leave this one alone.

If you like to smoke, smoke. I don't see why anyone needs to try to say it helps them with something, so it's ok that they smoke. I smoke, and if you dont like it, I dont give you evidence as to why it's not bad, or makes you better at something. I tell you to fuck off. Just stick with that, it's easier.

You should've smoked before you posted to "really plan [sic] put" your words and not make moronic spelling and grammar errors all over the place.

I know of a few very highly decorated bjj players and some mma fighters that have shown a deterioration in their performance since getting into weed. but these guys are into the whole wake-n-bake scene with having toast with cannabutter on it... seriously.

However, I'm diagnosed with Panic Disorder and sometimes I get panic attacks and have to take Xanax. Unfortunatly, I sometimes have to take the pills close to when I have to go to class so I can't help but be a little bit loopy still when I show up. I've noticed that when taking Xanax and then rolling I am able to stay much calmer in bad situations and my game changes into a very strategic almost chess like form (Which is kind of silly because Xanax is supposed to shut off your brain). When I am not on it I tend to react much more instinctually without thinking as much.

Xanax, and all benzodiazapines, work similarly to alcohol in that they affect your GABA receptors. The reason you're experiencing a noted, beneficial effect while rolling on your Xanax is probably due to the fact that, as you noted, you don't panic and make mistakes based on emotion, but rather, you use reason, technique, and thought to dominate.

It's interesting how drugs affect our thought.

Back