Weed makes you better

I agree, I thought that was a bit odd too. IDK, maybe there are some guys out there who smoke pot and then just want to fight.

IMO, the most detrimental potential side effects are it's effects on your coordination & strength, as well as your internal body temp & heart rate. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can smoke and do jits, but to be honest I only smoke in social settings anyway. Getting lit before jits/ MT/ boxing just doesn't sound appealing to me.

I think that (could be totally wrong) the aggressiveness comes from the mental addiction that can come from being a habitual smoker. THC does not cause a physical dependence but a person can become addicted to practically anything mentally and once that happens aggressiveness towards that item tends to occur.

That'd probably be one of the more terrifying trips you could experience.

Can't u imagine if you where to get choked out on acid.. that'd be sick... wouldn't not want that dream...lol

lol. There was a guy who came to our gym, always came in smelling like weed. He lasted 3 weeks. We have classes 4 times a week, and he came to 2 a week max, sometimes less. I'm definitely not against weed at all,and I dont think we're gonna have an army of pothead super soldiers. If it works for some people then more power to em. I just dont like people talking about it openly. It doesn't make you a rebel,or "cool" to smoke weed. Why brag?

lol. There was a guy who came to our gym, always came in smelling like weed. He lasted 3 weeks. We have classes 4 times a week, and he came to 2 a week max, sometimes less. I'm definitely not against weed at all,and I dont think we're gonna have an army of pothead super soldiers. If it works for some people then more power to em. I just dont like people talking about it openly. It doesn't make you a rebel,or "cool" to smoke weed. Why brag?

I agree -- it's like bragging about how much you drank/how wasted you were the night before.

These two statements basically mean that you ave no idea what you're talking about because you discredit every post to one of two categories that you made up based on facts that you pulled out of your ass.

Also, "Backed up by lots of research" is total BS. The reason it isn't completely illegal or legal is because no one has any factual evidence on the topic. No one knows if the long term effects are good or bad or if the short term effects need to be taken on a case by case basis or not. The study of THC is relatively new so these "facts" you speak of are changing almost every month.

Sorry, dumbass, but EVERYTHING I posted is an IRREFUTABLE FACT. If you're too stupid to do any research on the matter then perhaps you shouldn't be posting on a topic that you KNOW NOTHING about. It is better to remain silent & appear a fool rather than speak & remove all doubt.
Face it, pot hinders short term memory retention due to the large amounts of DB1 receptors in the hippocampus & the interaction of THC with these receptors. This is a UNDENIABLE FACT. Try doing some research before making a fool of yourself.
Pot detrimentally affects your motor skills. Another IRREFUTABLE FACT. LOTS of research on the subject (& it's readily available).
Pot slows reflexes...duh, again lots of research into the matter with absolutely 0% disagreement. Feel free to post up ANY FUCKING research showing that pot increases your reflexes. :icon_lol:
Pot inhibits your attention span. If you want to try & argue this point then you are stoned. Lots of research verifying this also.
I would suggest that you put the bong down long enough to do some research instead of talking out your ass.
The part that I find sadest is that you stoners aren't man enough to stand behind what you do. You try to justify it with BS instead of being man enough to state that you just want to get stoned & don't care about the side effects. Man up.

FYI- I've forgotten more about pot than you'll ever know, little boy.

I think that (could be totally wrong) the aggressiveness comes from the mental addiction that can come from being a habitual smoker. THC does not cause a physical dependence but a person can become addicted to practically anything mentally and once that happens aggressiveness towards that item tends to occur.

this. It's well documented that smokers are prone to wild mood swings (obviously not while blazed outta their gord). I even saw it through highschool quite a bit, and a little in college (though most of us were just drunk during those years :D)

btw, I really dont give a shit about weed, aside from the negative people associated with it (just like your raging alcoholics). When they are gross, they are really fucking gross, and dont see anything wrong with their lifestyle.

That said, its just not for me. I am a health freak, so the idea of something that would make me more prone to eating (a lot) or just junk food, and then being too lazy to work it off, would absolutely kill me. I do, however, know quite a few uptight people I wish would take SOMETHING to calm their ass' down!

Man I can never resist reading these threads when they pop up. The usual suspects are all here, with all the same damn posts. Jagcorps - I generally enjoy your posts regarding grappling techniques and tourney prep, you seem very knowledgable. But anytime there is a post/thread regarding things you disagree with, you always come of as the holier-than-thou wise old man type. You never give the opposing view a chance, and constantly talk down to us "younger guys". Just because you are married and have kids(s?) all the sudden you are the know it all on sherdog. Get off your high horse man, sherdog credibility means shit in real life. This type of thread always amuses me because you guys go crazy with your opinions such as "I don't want to roll with someone under the influence for my own safety, etc etc", "only way to get better is to not do drugs and just train". For the record, I will say I am a daily smoker. I usually smoke at night when watching TV, hanging around the house, or going out with my girl. I run my own business (3 years now), have a new 3 week old son, own my car and just moved into a new condo. Smoking didn't ruin my life or turn me into a fucking loser burnout. None of my clients know I smoke because I don't act like a fucking idiot, I handle my responsibilities. My personal experience with smoking and BJJ is that there are positives and negatives. The negatives are my increased HR which may cause me to gas slightly quicker, SLIGHT loss in muscular strength, and an occasional headache by the time class is over. The positives are a sharper mental focus (for me), a slower, more methodical pace when rolling, more gameplanning and chaining techniques together and the ability to see slight nuances like others have mentioned. Also when home watching YouTube vids or instructionals I focus more on the details rather than the flashier things. Also a positive is the effect on muscular soreness the night of or the following day after class. I have a very strong mind and won't say that weed makes me better at BJJ, but as I just explained I personally can count more positives than negatives for ME. All of you non-smokers or blind haters, just stay out of these threads because your views are so jaded that it makes you look like you have no idea what you are talking about.

The positives are a sharper mental focus (for me)....

Sorry, this is a medical impossibility. The way that THC interacts with the receptors of the brain would make this, self proclaimed, "sharper mental focus" (try researching a topic before posting in the future so as to not make statements that are phsyiologically impossible) not viable.

Here's some light reading for your beginning education on smoking pot (since you admit to being stoned I won't link you to anything too hard to comprehend, I'll try to keep it on an 8th grade level).

Discovery Health "Marijuana and the Brain"
Effects of cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And neuroscience for kids-
Neuroscience For Kids - marijuana

Last edited:
Sorry, dumbass, but EVERYTHING I posted is an IRREFUTABLE FACT. If you're too stupid to do any research on the matter then perhaps you shouldn't be posting on a topic that you KNOW NOTHING about. It is better to remain silent & appear a fool rather than speak & remove all doubt.
Face it, pot hinders short term memory retention due to the large amounts of DB1 receptors in the hippocampus & the interaction of THC with these receptors. This is a UNDENIABLE FACT. Try doing some research before making a fool of yourself.
Pot detrimentally affects your motor skills. Another IRREFUTABLE FACT. LOTS of research on the subject (& it's readily available).
Pot slows reflexes...duh, again lots of research into the matter with absolutely 0% disagreement. Feel free to post up ANY FUCKING research showing that pot increases your reflexes. :icon_lol:
Pot inhibits your attention span. If you want to try & argue this point then you are stoned. Lots of research verifying this also.
I would suggest that you put the bong down long enough to do some research instead of talking out your ass.
The part that I find sadest is that you stoners aren't man enough to stand behind what you do. You try to justify it with BS instead of being man enough to state that you just want to get stoned & don't care about the side effects. Man up.

FYI- I've forgotten more about pot than you'll ever know, little boy.

I'd like to see what medical journal you've got these facts from... Not just random websites. Long term in depth studies on weed have never been completed and never really existed because it used to be completely illegal so it didn't matter if it was good or bad. The studies that took place (cliff notes version, obviously) were just a bunch of people smoking in a room and then having someone ask them "How do you feel?". In depth cognitive tests have only recently started. All of the real studies are going on as we speak. Also, the studies that have been done are all based on focus groups. The effects of THC are now being studied on the individual level based on anything from helping with medical conditions to some kid that just wants to get high which makes a huge difference. Sure, people experience negative effects from smoking.. Everyone is different. Weed can be compared to anti-depressants because some don't work at all for certain people, some make depression worse in certain people, and then some are like miracle pills for certain people. It's all about the individual.

You're basically just doing exactly what you just accused me of "talking out my ass". You're just saying random stuff and then flaming me to finish your point. Which makes no sense cause' I'm just trying to tell you that all of those things that you mentioned as bad have a chance of not occurring at all in people. I totally understand that certain people shouldn't be smoking weed, that's obvious. But, for others it can be an incredible experience and open their mind/body up to things that the individual never thought possible.

PS: All this talk about manning up and putting the bong down is silly because I haven't smoked in nearly 11 months. Om nomm nommm.

Edit: I just realized that I flammed you in my initial post. I feel dumb.

Last edited:
I can see why you would say weed doesn't help you...Like he stated, it;s different for every person. When I used to be a pot head I'd come to class sometimes so high that I wouldn't be able to find my zone exactly. But I found if you take about 2 hits you are more aware of whats going to happen, you are very relaxed and not tense. Its very easy to go with the flow and I can feel what my opponent is about to do.. Since I smoked way too much it did start messing with my lungs (blunts though) and I started to rely on it to roll good so I stopped doing it altogether..but for once in a while its a good way to approach things differently.

I also have a friend who when he's stoned he's a complete beast. I mean he's good normally but when he's high I can definitely notice the difference..just saying. Haters are going to hate though so whatever

I'm stayin out of this conversation. I'll leave it at: weed makes you more of what you are.

i think it depends on the situation. I would never compete high, my nerves would go crazy. but i've rolled high and it gives you a different perspective on things so can be beneficial...

Sometimes I can't decide if I want to hit the crank pipe or the spoon before I roll. It all depends on whether I feel like being really passive or really aggressive.

it will enhance cardio esp. if done like really really lots, thats a mega load if you are stoned.../dripping with sarcasm

I'd like to see what medical journal you've got these facts from

From the Journal of Psychiatric Research.

ScienceDirect - Journal of Psychiatric Research : Diffusion abnormalities in adolescents and young adults with a history of heavy cannabis use

This debate is so hard to have because of two reasons.
1. Every drug affects everyone differently so it is very hard to make definite statements about how weed will affect you. Much of it is just conjecture.
2. The subject is so biased. Most pro weed people will tell give you self reported information and how it affects them and people against it will make the argument that you can't really know how the drug is truly affecting you when you aren't even sober.

Here is some truth. It can have a more detremential affect on people who are in the stages of brain development (brain development generally ends around age 25.) Especially on adolescents or young adults.

Heavy Marijuana Use May Damage Developing Brain In Teens, Young Adults

Theres a very reliable source. You can see their quoted sources are the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the Journal of Psychiatric Research.

Doesn't weed contain carcinogens which can have negative effects on the lungs? I can't imagine being high and grappling, I'd probably laugh at my partner with extreme cotton mouth. And isn't there a slower reaction time for people who are high? I'd say if you're a maryjane user to just smoke after you grapple.

Back