Weed makes you better

Any reply would be to narrowly focused to address your question.

Weed has different effects on different people. Even more than that

DIFFERENT weed works DIFFERENTLY. Without specifying if your talking about a Indica, Sativa, or a Hybrid blend the conversation becomes even less productive.

The weed I would use before training would not typically be the same weed I use before playing videogames/going to sleep.

lol, forgot to mention.

The few times I showed up at class high (years ago) I couldn't focus on the instructor, AT ALL. I was having a great time, but just couldn't concentrate. :)

Look at Nick Diaz, he is highly skilled but most of his movements in striking anyway are at a snails pace. I noticed that watching his most recent fight, he was moving so slow it looked like Noons could of just stepped out of the way, at least with the high kicks.

lol, forgot to mention.

The few times I showed up at class high (years ago) I couldn't focus on the instructor, AT ALL. I was having a great time, but just couldn't concentrate. :)

This is very much like how I'm affected. Randori and S&C are so much more fun and I dont find myself to be hampered, but I have a hard time learning NEW technique when under the influence.

This is just me though, I know people who smoke and then do math for christs sake lol.

Weed makes you think you are better, but you actually are not.

^Not to compare the two... but alcohol makes you think you are better, not weed. If anything you will just tend to care less. Not win or lose, just have fun. At least for me.
Im assuming because you are from Vancouver, you at least smoke on occasion.

Since nobody has any actual facts to go on, let's apply some basic common sense here instead of inserting our moral judgments and personal preferences.

Marijuana used to excess will hinder performance. It will affect your lungs and your energy level. There shouldn't be any argument here.

Marijuana used more sparingly will likely have no significant effect at all on performance. This is because - and I think we can all agree on this - the major factors affecting performance are 1)time, 2) effort, 3) physical ability. Marijuana used in reasonable amounts isn't likely to affect any of these areas much, so it isn't likely to affect your performance in bjj much. You may enjoy using the stuff, it may make you enjoy training more, but beyond that, it really doesn't make much sense to push it as a performance enhancer.

Can we all agree on this and end these stupid threads once and for all? Probably not, but I felt like giving it a shot.

Weeds fun when I'm playing ps3, not so fun when I'm trying to do sports

Look at Nick Diaz, he is highly skilled but most of his movements in striking anyway are at a snails pace. I noticed that watching his most recent fight, he was moving so slow it looked like Noons could of just stepped out of the way, at least with the high kicks.

Each person's chemical make up is different. Nick (as most of you know) is a competitive triathlete as well as MMA fighter. He feels it helps him. He doesn't talk about it much anymore. He needs to make a living.

I don't think it would work for me, but I can't say that it doesn't work for someone else.

I wouldn't call his striking speed "snail's pace" either.

Maybe you guys should like, you know, learn some stuff about science?

While weed might give you a short term improvement because of how it affects your emotions I would say that it would most likely hinder your overall progression due to the fact that it inhibits communication between neurons and messes with your short term memory. I'd say as a result you would certainly wouldn't learn as fast and your recall for what you learned in class would basically suck dick.

Basically long term consequences of going to class high would be that you would learn at a lot lower pace. This is just considering how it affects your brain/memory.

HOW DOES MARIJUANA AFFECT THE BRAIN? | Serendip's Exchange

Here is a good paper. Scroll down a bit for some other good sources.

Edit: Also of course many people will report it has not affected their memory at all. It's hard to argue with something that is self-reported and a big problem with a lot of research. I'm a psych/pre-med student and have only studied how long term weed use affects adolescents so I'm not qualified by any means to really debate the issue. Just what I've learned.

While weed might give you a short term improvement because of how it affects your emotions I would say that it would most likely hinder your overall progression due to the fact that it inhibits communication between neurons and messes with your short term memory. I'd say as a result you would certainly wouldn't learn as fast and your recall for what you learned in class would basically suck dick.

Basically long term consequences of going to class high would be that you would learn at a lot lower pace. This is just considering how it affects your brain/memory.

Edit: Also of course many people will report it has not affected their memory at all. It's hard to argue with something that is self-reported and a big problem with a lot of research. I'm a psych/pre-med student and have only studied how long term weed use affects adolescents so I'm not qualified by any means to really debate the issue. Just what I've learned.

Do you use marijuana?

If you already dont know what your doing,then anything that takes you out of sobriety has a negative effect on you.

This really varies a lot with the ratio of THC to cannabinoids present in the sample/strain you're smoking. A higher THC to cannabinoid ratio inhibits short term memory, but a lower ratio has shown little to no effect.

Source: Why Are the Effects of Marijuana So Unpredictable? | Wired Science| Wired.com

"Analysis showed that participants who had smoked cannabis low in cannabidiol were significantly worse at recalling text than they were when not intoxicated. Those who smoked cannabis high in cannabidiol showed no such impairment"

Cannaboids is a series of naturally occurring chemicals in the human body. Cannabidiol is just one of them.

There is so much disinformation and absolute opinion in this thread (not directed at you, AKmma).

Personally, I have made some major breakthroughs while high. I am never high during training, as I find that rather disrespectful to my instructors and training partners. However, there are times after training when I smoke and it allows me to synthesize information a lot better. It has also allowed me to apply a lot of what I learn in BJJ to real life (at risk of sounding hokey here).

Through it, I've realized that to get better at BJJ requires LOTS of hard work, not just understanding concepts and knowing technique. This carries a huge corollary for me in real life, as I think I can get by just by knowing things (thinking you are smarter) and sometimes forget that all success requires LOTS of hard work.

I've had other realizations (even epiphanies, if I may call them that) like this. It has definitely helped me, not necessarily in the practice of BJJ, but understanding life in general through BJJ.

If you already dont know what your doing,then anything that takes you out of sobriety has a negative effect on you.

This is possibly one of the most narrow-minded, inaccurate, one sided things that I have ever read in the grappling forum.

I think weed is no big deal and should be legalized, but saying it makes someone better at BJJ seems retarded. If anything it will hurt your conditioning from all the smoke, but maybe some people perform better high, who knows.

Back