Media Weasle Breakdown: Sandhagen won 3 - 2

And yet 1/3 judges didn't have it 2-2 going into the 5th.

I didn't think the 4th was clearly Cody's. I think it was the closest round of the fight.

3 rounds were not judged unanimous. 3 close rounds. One of them got the nod.

It's hilarious how offended so many fans are by this.

Salthagen said he was going to be more aggressive and violent following his embarrassing loss to Aljo

yet showed ZERO killer instinct against a compromised and bloody TJ who was returning from a 2.5 year break.

Cory had the size, reach, and youth advantage. He even has the audacity to say after the fight that he can't understand the decision because he was 'never even hurt'

If that was the case why didn't you ever stand your ground and fight instead of running away for 5 rounds from a crippled/bloody TJ who apparently wasn't even hurting you.

TJ is a legend and deserves the decision based on pure heart.
Now this, and this alone, I can get behind, just from a purely dialectical standpoint. haha
Kind of destroys your entire preamble though

I understand the scoring criteria pretty well, which is why TJ WON…. Technically you’re the hipster going against the grain kiddo.

tj-dillashaw-cory-sandhagen-ufc-on-espn-27-4.jpg
Tj was wobbled and absorbed the much harder shots in round 5.

You need to scrub up on your knowledge, little guy

'Effective Striking/Grappling shall be considered the first priority of round assessments. Effective Aggressiveness is a ‘Plan B’ and should not be considered unless the judge does not see ANY advantage in the Effective Striking/Grappling realm. Cage/Ring Control (‘Plan C’) should only be needed when ALL other criteria are 100% even for both competitors. This will be an extremely rare occurrence.'

http://www.mmareferee.com/?q=unifiedrules

This is a thread where Corey nuthuggers and TJ haters unite and stroke eachothers butthurt to feel better.

TJ won a close fight that could have gone either way.
Deal with it

This is a thread where Corey nuthuggers and TJ haters unite and stroke eachothers butthurt to feel better.

TJ won a close fight that could have gone either way.
Deal with it
Easily dismissing those who disagree with you as "nuthuggers" and "haters" is intellectually dishonest, really. But then again, that's the general malaise of the place. So you do you

Sandhagen did all the damage. And didnt take much damage.

5th round should have been a 10-9 for Sandhagen. But seems like the most marketable fighter always wins in these spots.

Sandhagen probably could make a case for winning the fight, but he certainly allowed himself to be in a position where the infamous judges decided his fate. It’s hard to gauge how effective the striking was after the cut, but it did appear to me that he was landing crisper shots throughout. Still, he gave up his back plenty and allowed TJ to waist lock him against the cage, which is never a good look. Judges LOVE the wall n stall. Corey can hoist a moral victory from his loss I suppose, but his octagon IQ needs serious work if he’s ever to become champion.

Agree with him. Though with TJ's mixing of strikes and grapple "pressure" the scoring of the last round can be tough for the uninitiated. But, we are not...uninitiated.

Cory now knows he beat Edgar, Moraes, Lineker, Assuncao and TJ. Not young, but at age 29 he can become champ, if he becomes a better defensive grappler. Best all-around striker in the div.

Close fight, going to the fifth the fighter that showed more aggression going forward all the time was awarded the win, not remotely a robbery, just a close fight, some Sherdoggers should watch Masvidal-Iaquinta or Leonard Garcia-Pham to learn what is a robbery

Yeah Corey totally “won” the 5th being forced to retreat every second by a 5’5 one legged guy. Aggression and octagon control were all TJ, outside of a couple backpedaling punches Corey wet the bed in the last round… this is getting pathetic lol.

Corey SALThagen fans right now:

giphy.gif
74% of all media scores it for Sandhagen. Dry them tears child. No one cries over decisions.
MEDIA SCORES
Keith Shillan
Sherdog.com 48-47 Dillashaw
Tim Burke
BloodyElbow.com 48-47 Dillashaw
Tyler Treese
Paul Fontaine
WrestlingObserver.com 48-47 Dillashaw
Dayne Fox
Ryan Frederick
MMAMania.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Lev Pisarsky
Sherdog.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Jay Pettry
Steven Marrocco
MMAFighting.com 47-48 Sandhagen
MMAJunkie.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Rob Tatum
CombatPress.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Drake Riggs
TheBodyLockMMA.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Seán Sheehan
SevereMMA.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Danny Segura
Phil Murphy
ESPN 47-48 Sandhagen
Scott Fontana
Couchside Judges 47-48 Sandhagen
Nick Baldwin
theScore 47-48 Sandhagen
Michael DeSantis
MMASucka.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Ben Duffy
John Pollock
POST Wrestling 47-48 Sandhagen
Jillian DeCoursey
Dominik Durniat
Polsat Sport 47-48 Sandhagen

i had it for Sandhagen too, but it is what it is. Sandhagen shot himself in the foot with all those repeated attempts on spinning things. Only the backfist landed well, every single spinning kick he tried except like the very first one was met with TJ reading it and immediately diving onto his hips leading to Sandhagen losing a bunch of time to getting controlled. His inability to see that TJ was getting the read on the spins was low Fight IQ and he didn't adjust quickly enough. Meanwhile TJ was showing championship pedigree with his grit and ability to keep things fresh with approach to keep cory on edge start to finish. I didn't agree with the decision, but the fight definitely showed Sandhagen isn't quite there yet mentally on that top tier level. He has the skills, but the mental game isn't all there yet.

Lmao. A hard fought decision is a matter of personal opinion. There is not a clear cut winner. It was a fight where either guy could have won and it was Tj’s turn.

Time to move on.

Judges are allowed to ruin fighters careers and keep their jobs, and get a pay raise for it too probably... combat sports never ceases to amaze me with their corruption bullshit.

Yeah Corey totally “won” the 5th being forced to retreat every second by a 5’5 one legged guy. Aggression and octagon control were all TJ, outside of a couple backpedaling punches Corey wet the bed in the last round… this is getting pathetic lol.

Corey SALThagen fans right now:

giphy.gif
Aggression and octagon control don't count unless effective striking/grappling are even

If TJ was so aggressive why is TJ the only one who got hurt?

Cory 2, 4, 5

74% of all media scores it for Sandhagen. Dry them tears child. No one cries over decisions.
MEDIA SCORES
Keith Shillan
Tim Burke
Tyler Treese
Paul Fontaine
Dayne Fox
Ryan Frederick
MMAMania.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Lev Pisarsky
Jay Pettry
Steven Marrocco
MMAFighting.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Rob Tatum
Drake Riggs
TheBodyLockMMA.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Seán Sheehan
SevereMMA.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Danny Segura
Phil Murphy
ESPN 47-48 Sandhagen
Scott Fontana
Couchside Judges 47-48 Sandhagen
Nick Baldwin
theScore 47-48 Sandhagen
Michael DeSantis
MMASucka.com 47-48 Sandhagen
Ben Duffy
John Pollock
POST Wrestling 47-48 Sandhagen
Jillian DeCoursey
Dominik Durniat
Polsat Sport 47-48 Sandhagen
This.

Agree with him. Though with TJ's mixing of strikes and grapple "pressure" the scoring of the last round can be tough for the uninitiated. But, we are not...uninitiated.
Cory now knows he beat Edgar, Moraes, Lineker, Assuncao and TJ. Not young, but at age 29 he can become champ, if he becomes a better defensive grappler. Best all-around striker in the div.

I still think he's getting the belt sooner than later.

Last edited:
Thing is, you could give either guy the fight and I wouldn't be mad at it. It was that close.

Cory gave away position for the second half of that fight and all the damage he did was early so the decision makes sense even though I thought he won 3-2.

Also, I hate the idea that damage is the number one scoring criteria because it's visual. One jab caused that cut on TJ who has a history of cuts in that area and had to postpone the fight for a cut in that spot. Damage is subjective as fuck. It looks like Cory fucked him up, but that's because a it was a bad cut and it kept bleeding. Yes, did he do more damage than TJ but again, it was all early and in one round basically. And he won that round.

Last edited:
Man don't edit my posts and post them. That's rude you dirty hobo.

Man don't edit my posts and post them. That's rude you dirty hobo.
oops. Sorry, boss. Was typing from a phone I just stole and they keys weren't working. Edited it now.

Back