Rewatch Sandhagen vs Dillashaw

RonDante

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

I hadnt watched this fight since like a week after it happened but at the time, when I wasn’t really trying to score it, I had sandhagen winning the 2nd, the 4th and the 5th. Rewatching it now I dont think I got it right, and I don’t know why people are so unanimously pro sandhagen

i scored it
10-9 Dillashaw close
10-9 Sandhagen clear
10-9 Dillashaw close
10-9 dillashaw close but clear
10-9 sandhagen clear

i know people say that sandhagen won the 4th round but I rewatched it and tried to count the strikes myself, I had tj up like 36 to 16. ive always been a “a leg kick doesnt mean as much as a head or body strike” guy but he literally landed so much, even in the clinch when he had Corys back he was landing knee after knee after knee, and some of them were cleaner than the glancing jabs Cory was landing on the feet. I know he got that spinning back fist at the end that wobbled dillashaw but he didn’t get dropped or seriously hurt atleast visibly

I’m alao not scoring the clinch control becuase it’s not a takedown, but I still think dillashaw landed enough strikes to win the round

I was never a dillashaw fan, he had amazing fights but I didn’t particularly care if he won them becuase I WAS and basically still am a cruz fan

i like cory and I want him to become champ before his career is over, but I don’t think he won

thoughts?

Could've went either way.
But if you can't do anything against a 1 leg fighter that is also a foot shorter, you deserve the outcome

I was so confused about the response to this fight. I don't remember if i was just watching it or actually scoring along, but my live impressions were that TJ won. So I walked into a lot of surprise when there was a large contingent screaming robbery

I haven't rewatched it and I guess I might do so, but I'm not sure I'll see why so many people were convinced TJ definitely didn't win

I was so confused about the response to this fight. I don't remember if i was just watching it or actually scoring along, but my live impressions were that TJ won. So I walked into a lot of surprise when there was a large contingent screaming robbery

I haven't rewatched it and I guess I might do so, but I'm not sure I'll see why so many people were convinced TJ definitely didn't win
Afterwards all I saw was people saying “inefficient control time robbing fighters again! Sandhagen should have won!”
I should have rewatched the fight sooner cause that 4th round wasn’t decided on holding someone, to me it was decided on the 15 plus knees tj landed. I didn’t even score the clinch time cause that’s not how it works, and I’m still seeing a tj win

tjs career went downhil fast after he fought cejudo

dude went from goat discussion to irrelevant/overrated as fast as baroa

TJ won based on the scoring criteria which IMO is flawed for determining the winner of a "fight."

FWIW, high level TJ was one of my favorites to watch.

I haven’t seen this in a while but I’m 100% certain Sandhagen did substantial damage to Tj’s knee with that inside heel hook , of course afterwards Tj was limping and said something like “oh my knee was trashed before the fight”
<YeahOKJen>

I scored it for TJ when watching live (wasn't super drunk but I'd had a couple drinks), but then when I re-watched it (sober plus trying to judge the controversial decision more analytically) I had it as a clear win for Sandhagen. Sandhagen's striking was a lot sharper and he hit TJ in the face so many times

TJ had the optical advantage of moving forward, aggression, and grappling. But overall he didn't land much real damage on Sandhagen and the grappling was mostly control that TJ didn't do anything with, it was just stalling until Sandhagen escaped and got back to striking

I think when re-watching I may have actually had it 4-1 Sandhagen but at bare minimum 3-2 Sandhagen

Last edited:

I hadnt watched this fight since like a week after it happened but at the time, when I wasn’t really trying to score it, I had sandhagen winning the 2nd, the 4th and the 5th. Rewatching it now I dont think I got it right, and I don’t know why people are so unanimously pro sandhagen

i scored it
10-9 Dillashaw close
10-9 Sandhagen clear
10-9 Dillashaw close
10-9 dillashaw close but clear
10-9 sandhagen clear

i know people say that sandhagen won the 4th round but I rewatched it and tried to count the strikes myself, I had tj up like 36 to 16. ive always been a “a leg kick doesnt mean as much as a head or body strike” guy but he literally landed so much, even in the clinch when he had Corys back he was landing knee after knee after knee, and some of them were cleaner than the glancing jabs Cory was landing on the feet. I know he got that spinning back fist at the end that wobbled dillashaw but he didn’t get dropped or seriously hurt atleast visibly

I’m alao not scoring the clinch control becuase it’s not a takedown, but I still think dillashaw landed enough strikes to win the round

I was never a dillashaw fan, he had amazing fights but I didn’t particularly care if he won them becuase I WAS and basically still am a cruz fan

i like cory and I want him to become champ before his career is over, but I don’t think he won

thoughts?

Haven't watched it again but I scored it for Cory 100% first time thru.
Again haven't rewatched it but how is the 3rd TJ? Serious question not trolling. Based on the stats 20 head strikes vs 12. TJ had 12 leg strikes but a punch in the head has far more chance of ending a fight then a leg kick.

But the 4th seriously how can that be TJ's? 25-7 head strikes and 26-19 overall. They have 1:41 of control time listed but ZERO ground strikes landed and in fact Zero thrown so that tells me it wasn't anything dominant. How in the world can you score a round with a massive differential in striking effectiveness with an inconsequential grappling advantage. Effective grappling isn't just having a position of dominance when there is no strikes (GnP) or submissions. Unless I am forgetting TJ having Cory in a RNC that was seconds from putting him out and being saved by the bell.

Sandhagen landed more strikes, did more damage, and came closer to finishing T.J. than T.J. came to finishing him. T.J. left that fight busted up, battered, and with a blown-out knee (from a Sandhagen's submission attempt).

I'm not saying it was a robbery, per se. But if that isn't enough to win a fight, then the scoring system is very flawed (which we know it is).

Dillashaw won 3-2, too many like to throw the word 'robbery' around.

Again haven't rewatched it but how is the 3rd TJ? Serious question not trolling. Based on the stats 20 head strikes vs 12. TJ had 12 leg strikes but a punch in the head has far more chance of ending a fight then a leg kick.

But the 4th seriously how can that be TJ's? 25-7 head strikes and 26-19 overall. They have 1:41 of control time listed but ZERO ground strikes landed and in fact Zero thrown so that tells me it wasn't anything dominant. How in the world can you score a round with a massive differential in striking effectiveness with an inconsequential grappling advantage. Effective grappling isn't just having a position of dominance when there is no strikes (GnP) or submissions. Unless I am forgetting TJ having Cory in a RNC that was seconds from putting him out and being saved by the bell.
I didn’t do my own strike count on round 3 cause I saw it pretty much for dillashaw without any controversy, but like I said I counted the strikes the best I could in the 4th and had it 36 to 16 for tj, he landed minimum 15 knees in the clinch that no one mentions, and was blasting leg kicks that were turning corys legs into an x

i don’t care about the clinch control time cause it’s not effective grappling I’m only scoring the 4th round based off of the strikes

Sandhagen landed more strikes, did more damage, and came closer to finishing T.J. than T.J. came to finishing him. T.J. left that fight busted up, battered, and with a blown-out knee (from a Sandhagen's submission attempt).

I'm not saying it was a robbery, per se. But if that isn't enough to win a fight, then the scoring system is very flawed (which we know it is).
This isn’t pride, cutting someone open and almost finishing them in one round doesn’t translate to winning the decision

And also, even if those numbers were completely accurate, not every strike is the same. I’m a “a leg kick isn’t worth as much as a body or head strike“ guy, but a glancing jab that slides off the forehead just isn’t worth as much as blasting your leg as hard as you can at your opponents thigh

Back